From software side quest design is absolutely atrocious. And I’m sick of people pretending they are good

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
you see the direction the meteor goes in the cutscene lol
Yeah I know you do but how would you know exactly where it landed? How much time would you spend exploring parts of the map you've already done? My memory is my first time playing was assuming the meteor struck somewhere far away as in not on playable sections of the map I thought it was just a cinematic that signifies Radahn can no longer hold the stars in sway.

Obviously now that it tells you there's a mark on your map where it fell and you look and there's a red mark youd have to be pretty slow to not find it. There's also the people who found the Blaidd sidequest on their first go and after the fight with Radahn he actually tells you to meet him where the meteor struck the Earth, but I didn't find him on my first playthrough.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Yeah I know you do but how would you know exactly where it landed? How much time would you spend exploring parts of the map you've already done?

You would not know, and they didn't initially want you to know, but the cinematic gave you a direction to look in. Just like any other quest, they kind of want you to explore and find it for yourself. This one actually has a visual directional indicator though unlike a lot of the more obscure NPC locations.

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
You would not know, and they didn't initially want you to know, but the cinematic gave you a direction to look in. Just like any other quest, they kind of want you to explore and find it for yourself. This one actually has a visual directional indicator though unlike a lot of the more obscure NPC locations.

That IS how I found it, but it's not like you can go in a straight line without obstacles in the game, you have to approximate as best you can.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nym

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
You just proved my point. Your opinion isnt a fact. Sales figures are. Kthnxbye!
Depends how you define "abysmal".
If we have concrete characteristics that define the word, then we can decide If something is factual. Until then It's an opinion quite indeed, never denied It.

OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
This got me thinking actually about a perfect example. @Explosive Zombie once told me that he was genuinely surprised when he found the crater area, post Radahn, in the base game. Because the game didn't hold his hand to it and highlight it, he was able to naturally come across this and get that thrill of interesting exploration.

They have updated the game to include a notification now after that boss fight, to tell players of the change on the map. Now I do find this interesting because they so rarely resort to this sort of thing, and I believe it's because it robs players of the magic of discovering these things by themselves naturally. Because I believe what now happens is players get the notification, they open the map and set a marker, and just go to the new area as though it was next on some grocery list, they don't have to think and they don't have to explore.

Like, think about it, what are they even conveying in the post Radahn cinematic, where they show you a meteor falling and hitting the lands between? IMO that cinematic exists SOLELY to inform you that something new is on the map and to spark your curiosity to go look around. But evidently, people are unable to see something that they are explicitly being directed towards, unless they have a notification telling them they have new data on the map to go chase.
What? There is literally a cutscene making obvious with a big explosion. How is that compared to the give an apple to this random girl and suddenly she will show up in a place you already explored?

• brain
OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
They don't show the exact landing spot but you see the direction it is falling behind the bluffs and I think the idea was for the player to just look around that general direction for an impact site.
There is also bunch of rocks floating in there air. Is not even a side quest. You need to be pretty stupid to not know that’s where you supposed to go next

• Cerny

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
... You need to be pretty stupid to not know that’s where you supposed to go next
Team Fortress 2 Smile GIF by MOODMAN

• Cerny
Reactions: SLB1904

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
There is also bunch of rocks floating in there air. Is not even a side quest. You need to be pretty stupid to not know that’s where you supposed to go next

This is such bad logic, you can't see the rocks floating in the air from many different vantage points or something. The whole area only exists for side questing so saying it's NOT a side quest is a weird point. If it was so easy to find why did they mark it on your map now? Here's a whole thread of people who don't need to prove they're amazing talking about not finding it easily before the map marker:

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
What? There is literally a cutscene making obvious with a big explosion. How is that compared to the give an apple to this random girl and suddenly she will show up in a place you already explored?

A big explosion WHERE? How can you tell from the cutscene? All you have is a general direction. Who are we giving apples to? Do you mean Hyetta who wants grapes? She's nearby each grape you need to give her and usually nearby a site of grace. Also, speaking of places you already explored, LIMGRAVE might be on that list, as opposed to Hyetta who you can find prior to exploring the area she's in every single time. Not to mention she locks out... what? A seal and some consumables if you don't do her quest???? Who cares.

OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
This is such bad logic, you can't see the rocks floating in the air from many different vantage points or something. The whole area only exists for side questing so saying it's NOT a side quest is a weird point. If it was so easy to find why did they mark it on your map now? Here's a whole thread of people who don't need to prove they're amazing talking about not finding it easily before the map marker:

You are missing the point. I didn’t it was easy but still millions time better than the obnoxious side quests which is the premise of this thread. Also after you kill radahn will give clear instructions to where to go but again assuming did his side quest 😂

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
You are missing the point. I didn’t it was easy but still millions time better than the obnoxious side quests which is the premise of this thread. Also after you kill radahn will give clear instructions to where to go but again assuming did his side quest 😂

"meet where the meteor touched the Earth" is not clear instructions.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Yes, it's extremely bad and very convoluted. They expect you to find everything out after 30 hours in NG+ because the game likes to punish you for the slighest mistake