Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
How do you know Curbstomp is SenjutsuSage?

You don't recognize his stile of writing? As he said "i've spoke with you know who". He is following and heavily corresponding with Florian on Twitter and spreading his wisdom too. He posted immediately when he registered there Xbox fanboyish twitter accounts like XboxWorld or Post Up ( which Senjutsu follows ) and these twitter accounts were never posted on IB till Curbstomp appeared. Also, Senjutsu just copy/paste what Florian says :

Ie20XWk.png

D8ynrat.png

I don't think it's a big deal if Senjutsu posts on Installbase. That's a very small community.

You don't have to tag Welfare. He gets attacked so much here I feel bad 😕

But enough to fuck up a calm community there and give a bad image. It was a huuuuge win when he was banned from GAF.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
You don't recognize his stile of writing? As he said "i've spoke with you know who". He is following and heavily corresponding with Florian on Twitter and spreading his wisdom too. He posted immediately when he registered there Xbox fanboyish twitter accounts like XboxWorld or Post Up ( which Senjutsu follows ) and these twitter accounts were never posted on IB till Curbstomp appeared. Also, Senjutsu just copy/paste what Florian says :

Ie20XWk.png

D8ynrat.png

But enough to fuck up a calm community there and give a bad image. It was a huuuuge win when he was banned from GAF.

How valid are those takes from installbase? I recognize some of those names as super pro-acquisition people from era.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
That claim about the TRO is stupid as shit and ignores... Reality. Microsoft and ABK can close the deal today if they want, with or without regulatory approval. This will then lead to consequences for both of them. What the FTC wants, per my understanding, is to prevent that scenario from happening, meaning that they won't be able to close without regulatory checks being completed.

Saying "if the TRO fails then they can close" is an oversimplification for the dumbfucks that trust these people, it's literally twitter fodder.

TLDR - the TRO seeks to stop the merger from occurring without the necessary regulatory approval. The deal can close with or without it, but closing the deal without it can / will lead to consequences for both companies, regardless of the TRO being in effect or not.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
An analogy.

I have an aquarium and want to buy another aquarium. For that merger to proceed successfully, I need @Sircaw to approve it. Without his approval, the merger can be challenged and I can face consequences.

I state that I want to close the merger without @Sircaw approval, so he files a TRO that seeks to prevent that from happening. If the TRO stands, I cannot close without his approval. If it doesn't, I can close without his approval, but I will still be liable for any consequences of not seeking such approval under the rule of law.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
An analogy.

I have an aquarium and want to buy another aquarium. For that merger to proceed successfully, I need @Sircaw to approve it. Without his approval, the merger can be challenged and I can face consequences.

I state that I want to close the merger without @Sircaw approval, so he files a TRO that seeks to prevent that from happening. If the TRO stands, I cannot close without his approval. If it doesn't, I can close without his approval, but I will still be liable for any consequences of not seeking such approval under the rule of law.
Thanks!

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
An analogy.

A fish filing a TRO to stop an anti competitive aquarium merger, now i've heard everything.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Only until June 22? I thought it was supposed to be until the FTC do their in-house trial starting in August?

MS still has time to play dirty and that sucks.

Apparently it's a part of MS Master Plan to get it approved quicker in the US
Yeah I'm reading the ERA thread and they're all happy the FTC took MS bait. It's all going according to MS plan 😒

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Only until June 22? I thought it was supposed to be until the FTC do their in-house trial starting in August?

Yeah I'm reading the ERA thread and they're all happy the FTC took MS bait. It's all going according to MS plan 😒
The FTC going for the injunction does precisely nothing to help MS one way or the other.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

Everyone left in that thread is a looney. Any sane person left or got banned.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
An analogy.

I like this.
Also, those poor aquariums.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't think that means what people think it means, but the propaganda machine is too strong. Here's the FTC's "request"

Accordingly, pursuant to FTC Act § 13(b), Plaintiff requests (1) a preliminary injunction to protect the Commission's ability to evaluate the antitrust merits of the Proposed Acquisition and (2) a temporary restraining order to protect this Court's ability to decide the FTC's request for a preliminary injunction and order appropriate relief. Plaintiffs request for a temporary to enter—before 8:59p.m. Pacific Timeon June15, 2023—an order prohibiting Defendants from consummating the Proposed Acquisition or a substantially similar acquisition until after this Court rules on the FTC's request for a preliminary injunction.

Basically, there are two things at play
  1. A temporary restraining order that seeks to prevent the merger from occurring until the preliminary injunction hearings are concluded
  2. A preliminary injunction that seeks to prevent the deal from occurring without the FTCs consent
The thing is, as I explained before, there's nothing under the rule of law that prevents Microsoft / ABK from clearing the acquisition without FTC approval. What can happen is that Microsoft / ABK risk seeing that decision reversed and / or fines applied to them if a judge determines that they needed to have FTC approval in the first place.

What the TRO granted the FTC was a timeframe whereby the merger cannot be closed without their consent. This will run until the preliminary injunction hearings and determination are concluded. If the judge rules in favour of the FTC, then Microsoft / ABK cannot merge regardless of whatever I said above. Conversely, if the judge rules in favour of Microsoft / ABK, they can then close the deal regardless of FTC approval, HOWEVER, the deal can still be reversed and / or fines can be issued if the FTC successfully defends their case.

Mandatory TLDR: This does not speed up or slow down the decision. Worst case scenario, the FTC bought everybody a couple of weeks. Best case scenario, Microsoft cannot close the deal until the FTC issues their final determination, which will occur next year. Without shareholder approval, that would effectively kill the merger (even if we ignore the CMA).

Sauce for the FTC request