FTC appeals to block already-completed Microsoft-Activision deal

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

As Reuters reports, lawyers representing the FTC and Microsoft appeared before a three-judge panel at the Ninth Circuit US Court of Appeals yesterday.

The FTC argued that district judge Jacqueline Scott Corley, who denied the government body's appeal for a preliminary injunction in July, held the FTC to too high a standard.

Imad Abyad, an attorney representing the FTC, argued that the government body only had to show the potential for Microsoft to withhold games from other platforms rather than to make a case that the deal was anticompetitive.

Abyad said Microsoft had done this in the past after acquiring Zenimax in 2020, making some of its titles exclusive to Microsoft.

"I fail to understand how giving somebody a monopoly of something would be pro-competitive," he argued, as reported by CNN."It may be a benefit to some class of consumers, but that is very different than saying it is pro-competitive."

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

As Reuters reports, lawyers representing the FTC and Microsoft appeared before a three-judge panel at the Ninth Circuit US Court of Appeals yesterday.

The FTC argued that district judge Jacqueline Scott Corley, who denied the government body's appeal for a preliminary injunction in July, held the FTC to too high a standard.

Imad Abyad, an attorney representing the FTC, argued that the government body only had to show the potential for Microsoft to withhold games from other platforms rather than to make a case that the deal was anticompetitive.

Abyad said Microsoft had done this in the past after acquiring Zenimax in 2020, making some of its titles exclusive to Microsoft.

"I fail to understand how giving somebody a monopoly of something would be pro-competitive," he argued, as reported by CNN."It may be a benefit to some class of consumers, but that is very different than saying it is pro-competitive."
Anyone not expecting this is an idiot.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
This is in part why dealing with governments (and big bureaucracy in general) is garbage. Something gets greenlit then another part of the administration turns around and puts the breaks.

Well, in the end I don't MS having so much weight in the gaming space, so too bad for them this dance could last years and years.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This is in part why dealing with governments (and big bureaucracy in general) is garbage. Something gets greenlit then another part of the administration turns around and puts the breaks.

Well, in the end I don't MS having so much weight in the gaming space, so too bad for them this dance could last years and years.
The merger was never greenlit, the judge in the hearings in the summer just refused to issue a restraining order to prevent it from happening at that time.

The FTC even said at the time that they would not approve the merger and would continue to fight it.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The merger was never greenlit, the judge in the hearings in the summer just refused to issue a restraining order to prevent it from happening at that time.

The FTC even said at the time that they would not approve the merger and would continue to fight it.
Why were all these people dancing in the streets?

Reactions: Bryank75

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Lady Gaga Snl GIF

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Great, 3+ more months of "news" from shills like HoeLaw, Destin, and Florian pretending to know what they're talking about 😒

I was against the merger but glad it was over, ABK is dying, Xbox is dying, just let them kill each other off.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The best scenario for us that I could see happening, and even this seems extremely unlikely to me, is that MS are allowed to keep ABK, but are just forced to keep more than just COD multiplatform.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
The FTC is toothless today. MS has the politicians and judges in their pockets. Let ABK die under MS.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The best scenario for us that I could see happening, and even this seems extremely unlikely to me, is that MS are allowed to keep ABK, but are just forced to keep more than just COD multiplatform.
If the FTC determines the merger to be anticompetitive, which it clearly is, it can and will be unwound. All those leaked docs and emails have made it impossible for MS to make any credible argument that its intentions aren't to monopolize the video game industry.

The FTC isn't going to accept any half-measures.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Still hilarious how the judge had a son that worked for one of the companies they were supposed to be regulating and that somehow did not pose a problem. The fact that this was also not brought up in the appeal just shows the FTC is fine with judges being beholden to corporations

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Why were all these people dancing in the streets?
Because FTC is a joke? I mean I don't see how they will ever win.
They are a bit amateur to defend their cases in court.

And what matter is what court decide... FTC is like a lawyer that sue the other part.
The court have the final words.

Plus the court in US (maybe in the world :D) is very political... right, left, etc.
And the appointed judge normally align with corporations ideias.

Last edited: