[GamersNexus] The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Summary:

-Linus Tech Tips and Linus Media Groups have grown into a large corporation that is prioritizing its own bottom line over the accuracy of its reporting
-Rushing to post videos on a self-imposed timeline and schedule [ostensibly to game the youtube algorithm] is leading to botched videos, unforced errors, faulty data, and misleading customers
-Highlights several anecdotes of unethical behavior towards smaller companies, selling equipment they did not have the right to, disparaging and using irresponsible language to denigrate products sent for review when the review process was improper (e.g. not bothering to take off the plastic film on a mouse before talking about how it has too much friction against a mousepad)
-Basically portraying LTT/LMG as an entity that has begun to value its own bottom line over the product that it puts out or the consumers of said product, e.g. reviews or tech tips as it were.
-Now that LTT wants to brand itself as a review outfit it can't be brushed off as an entertainment channel - responsible and accurate data reporting is important and fundamental

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'm glad Linus has been exposed but GamersNexus himself isn't perfect either.....He did a video comparing the PS5 to a gaming PC. And he didn't even realize some of the games on PS5 were running at 1800p and the gaming PC was only at 1080p....

He also tried to start a fake narrative that the PS5 had thermal issues when all he did was point a thermal camera at the VRM and say that they were dangerously close to the limit.....Great analysis 🤦‍♂️ obviously it also turned out to be nonsense but he never acknowledged it.

Most of these "tech enthusiasts" channels don't know what they're talking about and receive everything for free so don't expect any objectivity. They can't afford to lose their industry connections.

Reactions: Puff and Box
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm glad Linus has been exposed but GamersNexus himself isn't perfect either.....He did a video comparing the PS5 to a gaming PC. And he didn't even realize some of the games on PS5 were running at 1800p and the gaming PC was only at 1080p....

He also tried to start a fake narrative that the PS5 had thermal issues when all he did was point a thermal camera at the VRM and say that they were dangerously close to the limit.....Great analysis 🤦‍♂️ obviously it also turned out to be nonsense but he never acknowledged it.

Most of these "tech enthusiasts" channels don't know what they're talking about and receive everything for free so don't expect any objectivity. They can't afford to lose their industry connections.
He did not point a thermal camera at a VRM. He used thermocouples (which are wired sensors that rely on contact). That said he did do a bad comparison on the PS5, which is an unfortunate result of his PCMR tendencies.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
He did not point a thermal camera at a VRM. He used thermocouples (which are wired sensors that rely on contact). That said he did do a bad comparison on the PS5, which is an unfortunate result of his PCMR tendencies.
My bad, I confused him with that Austin Evans clown who did that. But that is still just as useless and unreliable, especially since he couldn't even get a proper connection by his own admission and said it was a poor testing methodology. It was just recording the heat of whatever was surrounding the sensors, not any actual particular part like soc/vrm as he claimed. He made a ton of assumptions and used this crappy process to come to the conclusion that the PS5 cooling system was "weak", and his comment section is full of nonsense like "watch what will happen to ps5s in 2 years lol". No one but Sony knows the internal temps which is what actually matters, and nearly 3 years later the PS5 is still fine for 99% of customers.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
DAMN, when it rains it pours, a former employee of his talked about how terrible the working conditions are at LTT:

Screen_Shot_2023-08-14_at_1.png

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
DAMN, when it rains it pours, a former employee of his talked about how terrible the working conditions are at LTT:

Happens with every group of people that start any business, no matter the industry. Once you pass a certain point you MUST sacrifice quality for the sake of quantity. It is their fault however that they decided to pass that treshold and enter a neverending race for unsustainable growth.
Also, lol at them selling a prototype of a startup company, when they wanted it back. What a bunch of fucking morons, I would sue.

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The same GamerNexus that spread FUD about PS5 talks about ethics?
what FUD? he was right that one or more of the memory modules get hot. But that's from the perspective a pc dude, who doesn't like components running up against the thermal limits because it risks degrading the component over time or worst case throttling performance and failure. But for the PS5 apparently it's in-spec. It would be interesting to see a followup video to see if those concerns were addressed in the ps5 revisions.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Happens with every group of people that start any business, no matter the industry. Once you pass a certain point you MUST sacrifice quality for the sake of quantity. It is their fault however that they decided to pass that treshold and enter a neverending race for unsustainable growth.
Also, lol at them selling a prototype of a startup company, when they wanted it back. What a bunch of fucking morons, I would sue.
I would've thought the prototype auction was the worst but Madison's thread is INSANE.

image.png

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
If true, she should have left at the first sign of this, but better late than never.
Also, it was auctioned off, not sold, my bad, not the same.

Paramount Network Luke GIF by Yellowstone
She had bad mental health, her brother had just passed away, she risked a lot moving from US to Canada, and it was her "dream job", Linus and his team knew all of this and still gaslit her. You don't want to just leave a company and "celebrity" that you had always idolized. It's easy to say "just leave" in retrospect, but given all we know it makes sense why she stayed as long as she did, kind of like Stockholm Syndrome.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
She had bad mental health, her brother had just passed away, she risked a lot moving from US to Canada, and it was her "dream job", Linus and his team knew all of this and still gaslit her. You don't want to just leave a company and "celebrity" that you had always idolized. It's easy to say "just leave" in retrospect, but given all we know it makes sense why she stayed as long as she did, kind of like Stockholm Syndrome.
People who say "just leave" are engaging in a fantasy because they can't handle the idea that sometimes people who are being mistreated in the workplace need outside protection. Anyone who has ever had any responsibilities in life know it's not as easy as just quitting, especially if you're new to a job and just relocated. Same reason why victims of domestic abuse require outside intervention and not just other people telling them "just leave".

Reactions: Box and JAHGamer

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I would've thought the prototype auction was the worst but Madison's thread is INSANE.

image.png
I am not trying to deny this, but I find it funny how these allegations always comes out when there is drama, like why now, when their at there lowest points.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Well the Internet starting the whole witch hunt phase now. Every accusations will automatically be right because subjects happened before. Internet dwellers seems to use their hands faster than their brain.

I have no doubts that Linus Youtube thing is a big corpo group and probably find a way to pull through this. Linus still irresponsible assholes though.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I am not trying to deny this, but I find it funny how these allegations always comes out when there is drama, like why now, when their at there lowest points.
Well the Internet starting the whole witch hunt phase now. Every accusations will automatically be right because subjects happened before. Internet dwellers seems to use their hands faster than their brain.

I have no doubts that Linus Youtube thing is a big corpo group and probably find a way to pull through this. Linus still irresponsible assholes though.
? It's not funny at all, did you even read the thread? She has made a few public comments in the past, like her glassdoor review, and she got a TON of hate, threats, and non stop trolling from devout LTT followers. I don't blame her at all for making a proper thread now detailing her experiences, it's the only way she can speak about her experience without a bunch of braindead PCMR losers jumping down her throat calling her a liar, whore, etc like the last time she spoke out.

image.png

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

image.png
I am actually shocked that some of these things actually happened.

How do these types of conversations actually transpire?

Not saying she is lying, I can't stand Linus, but how and in what conversation is she called Retarded and a Faggot?

I want some context as I find it extremely difficult to understand in how you go to work and someone calls you fat, ugly and stupid in a general conversation.

On a less serious note, i did ask @Bryank75 to make a video of himself twerking for the forums, the coward declined.

• haha

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
? It's not funny at all, did you even read the thread? She has made a few public comments in the past, like her glassdoor review, and she got a TON of hate, threats, and non stop trolling from devout LTT followers. I don't blame her at all for making a proper thread now detailing her experiences, it's the only way she can speak about her experience without a bunch of braindead PCMR losers jumping down her throat calling her a liar, whore, etc like the last time she spoke out.

image.png
Oh well, yea, I forgot about toxic dicksuckers burning everyone for attacking their overlord.

I don't know much about Canada labor law, can anyone fired for bs reaons without repurcussion?

• sad