Gamesindustry.biz: Does Sony have a long-term software strategy?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Sony needs another showcase with some good single player announcements, then we can stop all these "sky is falling" posts

please Sony hire back your goddamn PR people
Outlets are stretching the facts to make up a general gloomy narrative. Messaging won't stop that. What these outlets really want is access and ad buys.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
So far, to be fair, Sony hasn't had to show us any new moves – it continues to have a fantastic software pipeline, at least in the short to medium term. But with the cracks starting to show in its biggest acquisition to date, while its biggest competition has spent the best part of $100 billion catching up with it, treading water is not a long-term option.

That "fantastic software pipeline" is a big reason why Sony is so successful. And despite acquisitions - see: Zenimax - MS still has not demonstrated any capability in this regard. I could be mistaken, but I don't see this changing with their ABK acquisition. This whole article reads as a lot of wishful thinking that, somehow, MS will someday become a threat to Sony. I don't see it because the reality that gamers want good games to play and there is a world-wide audience for games (and not just a few key markets) are both concepts that continue to elude MS.

And, as others have said, lay-offs are going on across the board. It wasn't so long ago Zenimax experienced its own downsizing under MS. Funny how those weren't framed in the same way as Bungie's by this author and others.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I think Sony facing layoffs is a problem for sure. This sounds like their cutting costs but overall their still making a lot of money. But for the future i personally Have a somewhat uncertain outlook where the market will swing they should be prepared for that. They can strike out next gen If their not careful.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Its not about their PR it's about the fucking idiots complaining Sony was showing things too far out. It's fucked up all the hype threads and hype on general. It's fucking dumb bcus E3 was, never just about games coming out soon but a combination of new projects, updates on ongoing ones and ganes releasing soon.
They should have never listened to the people who complained that Sony were announcing things too soon. Hype does more good than harm imo.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I’m confident we get something really cool from Bungie. It’s a tad too early too call and of course people are using the layoffs to denote some sort of chaotic future but like others have said it’s not unique to this particular studio.

Or they make Destiny 3 and I’m completely wrong. Granted that is cool but I’m more so anticipating a new multiplayer experience.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
There's definitely some issues going on over at Playstation and I think they Sony CEO is trying to course correct whatever mess Jim Ryan caused.

But Bungie isn't one of them. Very talented studio and the doom around then is kinda bizarre. Destiny 2 should have had a wrap up this summer if you asked me, paving the way for all hands on deck leading up to Marathan.

Other than that misfire, I don't think the sky is falling over there.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The clear software strategy that was communicated to us was that they were going all in on GAAS in 2024. Not a peep has been said since and their biggest GAAS leader is hit with layoffs and articles about how they would've shuttered if not for Sony. So no, I have no clue where they plan on going from here, but I know the current strategy of trying to chase Xbox onto PC and GAAS has been disastrous, and lead to similar bad results as Xbox has seen.

Xbox has not made a successful mainstream GAAS themselves, they have bought all their big ones like minecraft and COD. Sony tried to do the same thing with Bungie but bet on the wrong horse

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Your take on shit is very biased and your agenda is very obvious thts just my opinion. Example "Bungie has had layoffs" omg Sony is going under everyone panic amd jump ship! Meanwhile it was pointed out the whole industry has been going through layoffs including Microsoft and devs under them but we don't hear the panic from you in tht regard.

Bro in other posts I've told ppl to respect others opinions including yours but try to seem less agenda driven, it'll help.
My agenda is i want sony to buy square enix and or capcom so they can remain the number one place to play.

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
My agenda is i want sony to buy square enix and or capcom so they can remain the number one place to play.
They need
Take two interactive or ea or ubisoft if they want to sell consoles
Casual gamers cares more about these imo

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its taken five years or more for the MS acquisitions to even approach releasing console exclusive games, at least give Sony two or three.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
They should have never listened to the people who complained that Sony were announcing things too soon. Hype does more good than harm imo.
I agree this hurt Sony the most. Beyond their partners being bought out by Xbox, they could still distract the casuals with a banger showcase that shows vertical slices of the next naughty dog, sucker punch, bend game etc. But their refusal to show anything has made their fans not even know what to look forward to not just in 2024 but beyond.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Its taken five years or more for the MS acquisitions to even approach releasing console exclusive games, at least give Sony two or three.
Yeah, I think there's more that Sony could be doing, but all the doom and gloom is waaay overblown.