Gamesindustry.biz: Does Sony have a long-term software strategy?

24 Jun 2022
There's definitely some issues going on over at Playstation and I think they Sony CEO is trying to course correct whatever mess Jim Ryan caused.

But Bungie isn't one of them. Very talented studio and the doom around then is kinda bizarre. Destiny 2 should have had a wrap up this summer if you asked me, paving the way for all hands on deck leading up to Marathan.

Other than that misfire, I don't think the sky is falling over there.

This is why I'm saying 1P-wise it might look a bit struggling for PS in non-GaaS aspects (and even in terms of GaaS, who knows when stuff like Factions 2 will be ready, or if games like Helldivers 2 will get the push they deserve to stick) for the next two years. The only 1P non-GaaS title we have confirmed in a reveal for post-2023 is Wolverine. That's it.

Everything else is just speculation or rumor. We know TLOU3 just entered production, so it's probably a 2027 release (at earliest) if not later. We have no idea what state SSM's new IP is in, so no idea if it releases in 2024 or 2025. Ghosts 2 could hit late 2025, but more likely 2026 at earliest. So on and so forth.

Besides Wolverine the only other non-GaaS 1P we can realistically expect from SIE for the next two years are going to be PSVR2 games or DLC/expansion for existing games like GOW Ragnarok and I'm sure Spiderman 2. Maybe Team Asobi's got something AA/AAA non-GaaS cooking that can release in that timeframe, which would be nice, but it wouldn't be something that can carry a year on its own and like I just said, there's just Wolverine confirmed in terms of 1P AAA non-GaaS for 2024/2025 period.

3P exclusives can help cover those gaps but they have to be meaningful in time scale (again, that 3 months exclusivity for Rebirth is a joke) and offer that much-needed variety. Also in terms of what they can do for the console, that exclusivity also has to factor PC into the equation; despite what some want to say, PC/Steam as a platform does compete with consoles like PlayStation for time and money, so acting like you have an actual exclusive when it's just exclusive among consoles (but otherwise is on PC Day 1), still hurts the console. This should be common sense but somehow, Sony duped themselves into thinking that isn't the case because they got duped by Microsoft saying it wasn't a issue for them (and their console which means piss-all to their financial bottom line).

The clear software strategy that was communicated to us was that they were going all in on GAAS in 2024. Not a peep has been said since and their biggest GAAS leader is hit with layoffs and articles about how they would've shuttered if not for Sony. So no, I have no clue where they plan on going from here, but I know the current strategy of trying to chase Xbox onto PC and GAAS has been disastrous, and lead to similar bad results as Xbox has seen.

Xbox has not made a successful mainstream GAAS themselves, they have bought all their big ones like minecraft and COD. Sony tried to do the same thing with Bungie but bet on the wrong horse

If Bungie can't get their shit together, Sony need to consider selling them off. They aren't getting anywhere near $3.6 billion, though so...whoops :/

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony's long term software strategy during the Jim Ryan era:
  • Grow the headcount of all internal development teams
  • Make more studios acquisitions than ever including Insomniac, Bungie, Housemarque or Bluepoint
  • Sign more 2nd party deals than ever
  • Sign more 3rd party deals than ever
  • Sign more VR games than ever
  • Improve the game subs and their catalog
  • Improve the cloud gaming tech and its catalog
  • Create PlayStation Indies
  • Create China Hero Project
  • Create India Hero Project
  • Invest in console games more than ever
  • Expand to PC
  • Expand to mobile
  • Develop more games at the same time than ever before, half of them being new IPs
  • Develop more 1st party games than ever before
  • Develop more single player games than ever before
  • Develop more MP & GaaS than ever before
  • Expand to new genres like shooters
  • Expand Sony game IPs to movies, tv shows and theme parks

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The only 1P non-GaaS title we have confirmed in a reveal for post-2023 is Wolverine.
As I remember they also have Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade, new Team Asobi game, new open world Bend IP, next GoW in a new mythology, new unannounced ND SP game(s?), Firesprite horror game or Horizon 3 confirmed. Plus Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside and whatever China/Indissa Hero projects they publish.

Then there's the next games from Housemarque and Media Molecule but they could be GaaS.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Honestly, Nintendo only has, like three announced games for after 2023, it seems normal to me to be in this position. To me, extremely long lead times from announcement to release means something went wrong somewhere along the way. Thats definitely the case with one of Nintendo's announced games, MP4.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It's like these 100 people at Bungie were the most important people ever. I've never seen so much outrage and suffering for layoffs. Literally thousands of devs were fired the week before.

The article is making it about Sony in general. FUD and panic.
Gotta deflect from the flaming shitshow over at Microsoft somehow!

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think Sony facing layoffs is a problem for sure. This sounds like their cutting costs but overall their still making a lot of money. But for the future i personally Have a somewhat uncertain outlook where the market will swing they should be prepared for that. They can strike out next gen If their not careful.
*they’re means “they are”, their means belonging to them.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Was going to post this but this was a whole lot of nothing. No, the multimillion dollar company doesnt have a a strategy, are we serious with this?
This is what I thought as well. Then I remembered that this is an old trope, probably propagated by Xbox-bots since a long time ago (I recall that type of argument being used to excuse the xbone's drm scheme).

A lot of stuff was revealed by the ps4/xbone release period. Some arguments that seemed to make some sense earlier in the ps360 days were repeated, as if the context never changed.

At first I rationalized it with the language barrier, but this is not it.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
There's definitely some issues going on over at Playstation and I think they Sony CEO is trying to course correct whatever mess Jim Ryan caused.

But Bungie isn't one of them. Very talented studio and the doom around then is kinda bizarre. Destiny 2 should have had a wrap up this summer if you asked me, paving the way for all hands on deck leading up to Marathan.

Other than that misfire, I don't think the sky is falling over there.
Wrong! Sony Ceo is the one responsible for all this mess, Jim Ryan was actually doing his best.

It's always the same with Sony - sucking playstation division to channel resources to other divisions and expect playstation to keep the whole company afloat!

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Wrong! Sony Ceo is the one responsible for all this mess, Jim Ryan was actually doing his best.

It's always the same with Sony - sucking playstation division to channel resources to other divisions and expect playstation to keep the whole company afloat!
So if they deem Playstation so important to long term viability of the company, why does the CEO tighten the purse strings for that division when it comes to marketing, content & merger acquisitions?

I believe you as well as I am no fan of the CEO.

Could Jim Ryan retiring then, be because he was dissatisfied with the situation behind the scenes with the CEO?

I don't expect you to answer but I still asked lol

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So if they deem Playstation so important to long term viability of the company, why does the CEO tighten the purse strings for that division when it comes to marketing, content & merger acquisitions?

I believe you as well as I am no fan of the CEO.

Could Jim Ryan retiring then, be because he was dissatisfied with the situation behind the scenes with the CEO?

I don't expect you to answer but I still asked lol
Japanese corporations are very conservative (not in the political sense, in the financial sense). They don't like to take a lot of risks.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Its only Ninja Theory
Its only Bethesda
Its only Activsion Blizzard

Media: Sony whats youre long term plan here? Are you going to do something?

This thread: Its no big deal. Sony should do nothing. Its just media bias.

I agree Sony should be doing more. Bungie isnt enough. They’ve already lost alot of 3rd party exclusives

Reactions: Diah

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

This is what companies do to try and expand in different markets, or keep their presence there.

MS just took $100billions from their successful stuff to buy games studios.

Sony took money from their electronics division to build up PlayStation back in the 90s, they didn't know it was going to be this big for them.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony has been in the console gaming business 30 years, they finally ran out of ideas after spider-man 2
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This is how the entire "gaming community" is acting rn....the company that's consistently putting out bangers for decades is suddenly in trouble because "they have no roadmap" 🤦‍♂️

Reason 5495 to hate Microsoft, they really pollute gaming discourse in the worst way.

24 Jun 2022
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This is how the entire "gaming community" is acting rn....the company that's consistently putting out bangers for decades is suddenly in trouble because "they have no roadmap" 🤦‍♂️

Reason 5495 to hate Microsoft, they really pollute gaming discourse in the worst way.

But Sony let that pollution sit, fester, and build, when they could clean it up or better still, keep it from polluting in the first place.

So at this point, I think they deserve more of the blame, for simply not caring.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This is what companies do to try and expand in different markets, or keep their presence there.

MS just took $100billions from their successful stuff to buy games studios.

Sony took money from their electronics division to build up PlayStation back in the 90s, they didn't know it was going to be this big for them.
It was actually the money that Sony ImageSoft and the PC division at Sony had made from their games and MSX computer systems, so still not the same as MS taking Office profits to buy publishers.

Sony ImageSoft became Sony Computer Entertainment.

Also, since the MSX ran a Microsoft OS, you could even say that MS helped create PlayStation, in a way.

Last edited: