GamesIndustry: The potential audience for PlayStation Portal is huge

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
More and more consumers need gaming devices that fit around them rather than ones that required dedicated time
Years ago, when discussing the surprise popularity of Nintendo Switch (it was a surprise once), Team17 CEO Debbie Bestwick called it 'a lifestyle device'.

I loved that term, because it epitomised what made the Switch so appealing to such a wide group of players. It is a games machine designed to fit around you, rather than a destination device you had to make time for. For me personally, sitting in front of the TV to play games is a luxury I rarely have these days and so the Swich has been a dream.

Considering how quick Xbox and PlayStation were to capitalise on Nintendo's success with motion controls, I am surprised it's taken this long for them to do the same with Switch. I am even more surprised that it was Valve that made the first move.

What's interesting about the Steam Deck is that it's built to be an extension to the existing Steam ecosystem. Whereas Switch is built to be both the console and handheld, Steam Deck is simply the latter part. But what it offers players is the same thing: the flexibility to play their favourite games whenever and wherever suits. It also offers an alternative for those of us who have found themselves low on time, and is one solution to the 'ageing out' problem that has slowed growth in PC and console gaming.

Xbox is no stranger to the trend either and is an active supporter of both Switch and Steam Deck. In an interview with Eurogamer, Xbox chief Phil Spencer spoke enthusiastically about the potential of console gaming on the go.

"I don't think those are going to be niche devices - those are going to reach scale," he told the website. "They've sold millions of Steam Decks and they get used. We have a lot of games in Steam, so I can kind of see and in fact, I think we just saw in the Steam charts that Linux is now ahead of Mac OS as a runtime platform, and I have to believe the Steam Deck had a ton to do with that.

"I know for me, my ROG Ally is my Xbox on the go. Because almost every game supports cross-save so I can sit down and I can pick up my progress there. My friends are there if I'm playing a multiplayer game. And then when I go home, and I pick up from my console, it's very continuous."

Some may see PlayStation Portal as a niche use case, but the Switch and Steam Deck prove that it isn't
Spencer also touches upon another element that has enabled this trend to take off. More and more developers are approaching their games with cross-play in mind. Now players can pick up their saves on different devices, and games are increasingly designed to be played on all forms of hardware. It's not just the technology that is encouraging this trend to happen, but the games themselves are built with this kind of behaviour in mind.

That brings us onto PlayStation Portal. Sony's effort in this space isn't as flexible as the others, as it is tied to the home (you would hope a broader streaming solution will come down the line). But, again, it is in-keeping with the company's broader strategy around the PS5. By using the technology found in the DualSense controller, the Portal is designed to be a distinctly PlayStation experience.

There's been a fair bit of debate online over the Portal, specifically around its price and the missing functionality. One critic said to me this week that they're not sure who would actually buy this product. But I feel this perspective comes from a privileged position, because I know exactly who would buy a Portal… me. There are so many excellent games coming up, from Starfield to Call of Duty and I've still not finished Resident Evil 4. Even if I was a younger man, unmarried with no children, there is little chance I'm playing even half of them.

Portal will help me here. It's still that PlayStation experience, but I don't have to hide away in my office to have it. The kids can eat their rice crispies and watch Spidey and his Amazing Friends on Disney+, while I'm there blasting through Spider-Man 2 on the sofa.

Some may see this as a niche use case, but I think the Switch and Steam Deck prove that it isn't. I don't represent a minority of gamers, but actually a large opportunity: an audience that wants to play more, and buy more, but can't.

Imagine if it sells better than Series S
2012_RISITAS.png

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
This comparison makes no sense.

The target audience for the playstation portal is not the same as the switch.

It sounds like the very definition of niche, a not really all that portable second screen device for people who want to use their playstation when the TV is already being used by someone else.

For the same price you can have an actual portable

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Why would somebody who is interested in playing ps5 games via remote play get a portable that does none of that?

Playing games via remote play is not the same as having a portable console

Some may see PlayStation Portal as a niche use case, but the Switch and Steam Deck prove that it isn't

It's a bit disingenuous imo to claim this here, I don't see how this is anything but a niche product for a very specific use case, whereas Switch and Steam deck are actual portable consoles

Reactions: John Elden Ring

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
This is designed around being a convenience, it will work for folks that want that option around the house. Sometimes im with the kids in the back yard in a literal hammock on my phone while the kids literally play in the grass and dirt. This thing would allow me to play my shit in the back yard or on the toilet with my chronic constipated ass.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
I can't see this thing selling well at all

TIEo83n.jpg

For one it works with any wired headphones/headset. I have no idea when went from phones not having audio jacks being a huge issues to headphones being so appalling that them being the main way to listen to a device is a deal breaker

I also like how they had to use two different negative points for bluetooth/headphones when theyre really the same issue.

Not to mention bluetooth on switch and steam deck often have latency issues, now imagine the latency while streaming.

And the device does not have to sell as much as Switch to be successful, obviously no one is expecting that including Sony. Sony knows just how many people used remote play often already

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Playing games via remote play is not the same as having a portable console
Ok i'll try again.

You have one device that plays playstation games via remote play
You have another device that plays nintendo games locally

I'm a customer who is interested in playing playstation games via remote play on a portable device

Which products makes sense for me?

Some of those negatives you posted i'm not disagreeing with. However comparing them as if they are competing products doesn't make much sense to me.

Nym

21 Jun 2022
I'm a customer who is interested in playing playstation games via remote play on a portable device

Looking for a niche product right, understood you the first time

Saying that this isn't niche because lots of people buy real portable consoles is disingenuous imo

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
I have to agree with @Nym on this one. The device is basically the same as the Wii U secondary screen.

This comparison makes no sense.

The target audience for the playstation portal is not the same as the switch.

The price point is not worth for what it can offer if you are seeing it as a streaming device, even less as a portable console. It's an accessory.

Ok i'll try again.

You have one device that plays playstation games via remote play
You have another device that plays nintendo games locally

Which products makes sense for me?

Some of those negatives you posted i'm not disagreeing with. However comparing them as if they are competing products doesn't make much sense to me.

You are forced to have a PS5 and wi-fi connected in order to play it, that itself makes it near worthless as a streaming device. The whole idea of streaming devices is that you can play anywhere you want.

Because of that The Switch Lite is a much better value even with the outdated hardware.

I'm imaging people who are getting this will be the same that got the PSVR2 and other PlayStation Accessories, but it makes no sense for the average costumer to buy this. I can picture Sony changing the Wi-fi Requirement down the line because it's just so stupid.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nym

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Why does the article mention Switch and Steamdeck? Those don't require a second device to function.

They both also allow for native local play sans network connection, something the Portal is incapable of doing.

If that's the premise the article is built on, it's just pure horse manure.

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Lol i'm confused. Not sure where i said that.

It's in the OP, bolded, I quoted it previously

I'm saying this is bullshit because actual portable consoles doing business does not mean this applies to a very niche product which portal absolutely is. Maybe it'll sell well, I doubt it.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I have to agree with @Nym on this one

The price point is not worth for what it can offer if you are seeing it as a streaming device, even less as a portable console. It's an accessory.
I don't disagree i think it should be cheaper.
You are forced to have a PS5 and wi-fi connected in order to play it, that itself makes it near worthless as a streaming device.
It really doesn't make it worthless when you consider the target audience

Which is people who are already using remote play, and people who may be interested in trying that out.
The whole idea of streaming devices is that you can play anywhere you want.
I don't think the definition is that rigid. I mean sure when people think of streaming they think i can stream it anywhere.

Because of that The Switch Lite is a much better value even with the outdated hardware.
It isn't better value for someone interested in playing playstation game via remote play.

Can the switch lite do that?

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People not interested in this keep trying to make bad faith arguments for why they don’t want it instead of objectively looking at it for what it is.

Comparing it to a steamdeck or switch makes no sense, because a steamdeck isn’t -200 dollars, and i can’t play spider-man and warzone on a switch.