Gematsu: The first new PS2 game coming to the PlayStation Plus Classics Catalog seems to be Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
(only need them and designers for trophies).

Third party classics don't even have trophies, this ps2 star wars game won't have it either

The thing is seeing that the Sony PS1/PS2/PSP classic games had so poor sales in the insomniac leak, I assume publishers consider that sales won't be enough to cover these low costs.

Because they did zero advertising for these games, u dont just put them on the premium service and have it in a tiny section of a blog post that 99% of people dont even read.

How hard is it to give them trailers like how Nintendo does it?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Third party classics don't even have trophies, this ps2 star wars game won't have it either

Because they did zero advertising for these games, u dont just put them on the premium service and have it in a tiny section of a blog post that 99% of people dont even read.

How hard is it to give them trailers like how Nintendo does it?
I assume they don't have trophies and don't market more for the reason I mentioned, the cost may not be worth for them if they are going to sell 2000 copies of the game.

Only a few guys care about old PS1 or PS2 titles (I'm one of them).

And well, all the classics games included in PS Plus Premium are also available in the store to be purchased.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Just emulate. They release games at a glacial pace and with way less features than pcsx2. Any toaster will do at this point.

Also racing games in particular are avandonware due to licenses.
Not everyone has the original disc to rip them like you do. :unsure:

johnny depp run GIF

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I assume they don't have trophies and don't market more for the reason I mentioned, the cost may not be worth for them if they are going to sell 2000 copies of the game.

Only a few guys care about old PS1 or PS2 titles (I'm one of them).

And well, all the classics games included in PS Plus Premium are also available in the store to be purchased.

Nintendo advertises their classic games each time they release, this video has almost 160k views in a day.

Playstation doesn't even release a video, its not even fromt and centre in a blog post. I'm willing to bet most people don't even know Premium gives away psone and psp games.

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
Please bring Mortal Kombat Armagedon, NFS Carbon/underground 2, DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 or something like that

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It doesn't seems to be a new emulator but the same used for PS2 to PS4 titles.
I mean all the features they are listing already existed in PS2 to PS4 titles.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
All those PS1/PS2 and PSP games on the Vita&PS3. Just bring them over... this is too slow and lazy compared to when they use to port games back on the PS3/Vita.

Theres only excuses to why it takes longer now, then on the Vita

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Nintendo advertises their classic games each time they release, this video has almost 160k views in a day.

Playstation doesn't even release a video, its not even fromt and centre in a blog post. I'm willing to bet most people don't even know Premium gives away psone and psp games.
Yes, these videos normally get 100-150K views, but they aren't reflected in money made by the subscription where they are included.

Sony's subscription generates way more money, pretty likely because it also includes newer games that generate more interest, and well, way more games and other stuff like cloud gaming.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
I can understand the frustration, but Star Wars games are generally cult classics, and it makes sense Disney/LucasArts would be trying to relaunch them all again. I would buy them, but my priority is for the obscure PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3 and Vita classics. It can't be THAT expensive to get the licenses for them...

I'm talking games like:
Mizzurna Falls (even if it's only in Japanese)
Haunting Ground/Rule of Rose
Obscure 1 + 2
Brave Story: New Traveler
3D Dot Game Heroes/AFRIKA
etc.
Premium is more built around the hardcore anyway, and the hardcore want these more obscure games. The other issue tho is alot of these star wars games at minimum are already on xbox as well

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

New Official PS2 Emulator appeared at the PlayStation Store after Jim Ryan left SIE.​

Jim Ryan left and they finally seem to acknowledge the past.
The correct sentence would be "A new PS2 emulator developed under Jim Ryan's era, by the people hired to work in emulators under Jim Ryan's command, apparently appears in the PS Store a few days after he retired for a new PS2 classic signed under Jim Rayn's command".

But maybe it's just the old emulator.

Reactions: Box and Kokoloko

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Took them long enough. I assume the jim ryan insert has been added as a clickbait for twitter outrage.
Would be nice to have ICO, god of war, and Sly Cooper on my PS5.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The Jim Ryan was unnecessary. It was 100% being worked on under him 🤦‍♂️

More old games people will ignore and not play and they will jump to the next thing to complain about.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They did, some months -maybe a year or so ago- they had an open job position to work in emulators.

But once it's done, to put more games into an emultor doesn't need extra coders (only need them and designers for trophies).

Once the emulator is done, the only thing they need is to publishers to sign games for it, in case they have all the licenses to do it (in addition to a programmer and a designer to put trophies and write the metadata of the storre, like the small description of the game, also need someone from legal department for the licenses, plus also some artist to make the images like icon/cover art/bg image/screenshots needed for the store).

The thing is seeing that the Sony PS1/PS2/PSP classic games had so poor sales in the insomniac leak, I assume publishers consider that sales won't be enough to cover these low costs.

I see.
Sucks they cant use the licenses from PS3/Vita. From what I remember the Vita had an over night library, sharing all the PS3’s library of PS1/PS2/PSP games. Suikoden 2 even came out after PS4.

How much does licensing cost? Does it cost Sony alot to license there own games from before like GT1,2, GT3, GT4, Discworld, Ask the lad 2, 3, God of War 1/2. They co published alot of games on the PS1.

I went to buy Grandia on PS5 as soon as I heard it was there, but it was free because I use to own it on PS3 ( I think so anyway ). Happened with Ridge Racer Type 4 too