GI.biz: Developers are Being Told to not Expect Switch Sucessor to Launch This FY

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
*googling more info on the wii u and comparisons*
Okay wtf Im glad yall argued with me on this because upon googling some games do look better on wii u (need for speed) but a good chunk of the games I'm looking up have miniscule differences and in many cases run decently worse on wii u. Internet is telling me while ram and gpu were better the wii u's cpu was garbo.
I've always felt the Wii U was around a Ps3/360 level and the Switch was a proper portable Wii U with a bit more under the hood. I'm preparing myself for the Switch successor to be a portable PS4/Xbone console and that PS4 quality games will be dominating the early life cycle of the Switch 2. I'd be shocked if Resident Evil 4 Remake isn't Day 1 of the Switch 2. Then Capcom runs through their list of PS4 games to fill the back catalogue.

I'd be wary of getting information from the Internet relating to power. People thorugh until recently that the more Terraflops meant the better a console was. Time proved that wrong.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
It sold 2.1 million last quarter, that's less then 1 million a month.
and only 300k less than the PS5 🤣🤣🤣

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
As good it is to make fun of Nintendo and their hardware which I mostly agree with, Breath of the wild was/is a masterclass in game design which catapulted a stagnant franchise straight to the top, the amount of value and performance the epd team squeezed out of the switch for this game is some cerny level shit. They are going to do a full remake of ocarina of time for switch 2 and I can see them selling 35+ million copies in a single year.

As much a fan I am of GoW and GT, Nintendo has the much much better IP.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Good.

The later is launches, the more it will compare to a Steam Deck 2 plus others, and the more people will wake up for equally good handheld alternatives.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
So let’s say it launches in the middle of next year all things being fair, that puts ps5 close to an 80 million lead advantage, 6 million plus of that in japan alone. I don’t see alot of ps5 game ports like ff16, rebirth, and monster hunter wilds showing up say one either because I don’t think it’s going to be strong enough to run them.

Ps5 will probably be the lead console from here on out for every publisher, including Sony, for the next 10 years.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Nintendo will want to milk The Switch as much as possible, it's still selling millions of units a month
NS tech is so old that by the time they release NS2 the tech in that is gonna be at least 3-4 years old. They run the risk of getting stuck in with tech from 2020-2022 and that wont be good, end up being the next XBSS and holding devs back.

If its taking them this long to release a new console then they might be over thinking it.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
NS tech is so old that by the time they release NS2 the tech in that is gonna be at least 3-4 years old. They run the risk of getting stuck in with tech from 2020-2022 and that wont be good, end up being the next XBSS and holding devs back.

Each month/year that goes by is making the Switch 2 closer and closer to the Wii U in its release date ecosystem.

I have little doubt that the next generation of consoles will be hybrid as well, and my guess is they're coming in 2027, or 2026 in the case of xbox if they do release something (though they might not). At the same time we'll also have a constantly upgraded stream of Windows / SteamOS handhelds that by 2026 will already be running circles around the Switch 2.

With the Switch 2's blue ocean gone as they're not the only ones selling user-friendly gaming handhelds anymore, popularity will come down to 1st and 3rd party support, the latter of which is highly dependent on performance.

And after 2026 I just don't see all the big publishers having the patience to scale down their games to fit the Switch 2's hardware (like they didn't for the Wii U).
Not after Nintendo already shat on their faces by delaying the Switch 2 and make them lose the holiday period for all launch window titles.

Reactions: Johnic

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
They are mostly waiting for Metroid Prime 4 and most probably a remake of one of the classic zelda to go along with a 3D mario, If these 3 are launch year games then holy moly the npd threads will be a bloodbath.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
They are mostly waiting for Metroid Prime 4 and most probably a remake of one of the classic zelda to go along with a 3D mario, If these 3 are launch year games then holy moly the npd threads will be a bloodbath.

Doesn't Metroid historically sell poorly?

Hopefully the 3D Mario is Galaxy flavoured. I don't want another Odyssey.

With the new Zelda game coming soon, I wouldn't expect another one next year. Maybe a remake of an older game. Too soon for 3d Zelda unless a remake again.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Doesn't Metroid historically sell poorly?

Hopefully the 3D Mario is Galaxy flavoured. I don't want another Odyssey.

With the new Zelda game coming soon, I wouldn't expect another one next year. Maybe a remake of an older game. Too soon for 3d Zelda unless a remake again.
I am a huge metroid fan so I am hoping metroid has its botw moment on switch 2 and chances are it can happen and I expect an ocarina of time remake