God of War is PlayStation's best IP

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Really impressive when you consider development time and what they were able to produce. Look at what they achieved 4 years after releasing a PSP game. Game is extremely impressive for 2015. At the time Sony simply had no idea how long it would take for games of that quality to be made, it was no surprise the game was so short and rushed.

With more development time I think it could've become another Sony hit.
Critics piled on it... Even so the game made back its budget plus more as it was profitable. Shu was such an ass back then because he would constantly throw devs under the bus.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not that it's a competition, but I kinda burned out on SM2 before finishing it ... then the GoW DLC was made available and I checked it out. And it was instantly far more fun to me than SM2 was. And even though it kinda looks like an upscaled PS4 game, I kinda think it looks better than SM2 too ... just the detail and architecture present in the levels. It just has such an incredible scope, and it's an interesting setting. And the music is better. And the writing and voice acting is better. It's just ... better.

So yeah they could definitely keep changing mythologies and change up the game formula a bit while keeping the core function recognizable. I think Valhalla is always way better without Atreus. :p

I don't know if it's "the best" PS IP, but it's obviously one of the top few, and I think at that level it just kinda comes down to player preference.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
If only they had put more love into Astro 🙁

Astro has the potential to reach Nintendo levels of appeal. I could easily see them making a movie or TV series out of Astro.

Im surprised they don't sell Astro merchandise though.

Reactions: Sircaw

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
It's definitely the best PlayStation IP. Though they're definitely gonna have to find a way to reinvent it for the next mythology which I assume will be Egypt. The potential will be endless in that realm.

Uncharted is also right up there though they kinda fucked the franchise with Uncharted 4... Like you don't age your characterts so fast Naughty Dog.

Infamous had potential but that was cut down right as it was it peaked and it's dormant now, so not sure its worth going back to.

Horizon had the potential to be up there but Guerilla failed to make Aloy have her Uncharted 2 moment with Forbidden West.

And of course last but definitely not least the IP with the most potential to still blow up, but Insomniac can't seem to think outside the box and take it to the next level... Ratchet & Clank. There's so much potential here. It has space travel / combat, realm warping, a slew of great character, a vibrant world where anything goes... It has the potential to actually go open world and throw in more RPG elements...
Naughty Dog did the right thing with Uncharted 4. You don’t want your franchise to be Halo. End it on the right note. Retiring Nate was the right call, you call always do prequels and spin-offs.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Not that it's a competition, but I kinda burned out on SM2 before finishing it ... then the GoW DLC was made available and I checked it out. And it was instantly far more fun to me than SM2 was. And even though it kinda looks like an upscaled PS4 game, I kinda think it looks better than SM2 too ... just the detail and architecture present in the levels. It just has such an incredible scope, and it's an interesting setting. And the music is better. And the writing and voice acting is better. It's just ... better.

So yeah they could definitely keep changing mythologies and change up the game formula a bit while keeping the core function recognizable. I think Valhalla is always way better without Atreus. :p

I don't know if it's "the best" PS IP, but it's obviously one of the top few, and I think at that level it just kinda comes down to player preference.
SSM>Insomniac.

Reactions: Dr Bass

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I liked Ragnarok more and Ascension is debatable
Ragnarok was good, but I felt the writing wasn’t as strong as the first game. I also thought the game was missing the direction of Barlog. Also You definitely hate TLOU 2 for you to say Ascension is debatable. LMAO But you’re entitled to your opinion.

Reactions: Johnic

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Ok. You definitely hate TLOU 2 for you to say Ascension is debatable. LMAO But you’re entitled to your opinion.
not at all...I love TLOU2, a lot more than TLOU1. You can look through my post history, GoW is just my all time favorite so I'm very biased 😂

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Naughty Dog did the right thing with Uncharted 4. You don’t want your franchise to be Halo. End it on the right note. Retiring Nate was the right call, you call always do prequels and spin-offs.
Uncharted and Halo has nothing in common. As the creator of the series said, the franchise was meant to keep going similar to ndiana Jones. It's pulp fiction. I still think it was weird to literally age out Nathan, Sully and Elena after 4 games 💀.

The simple truth is Neil never cared for the Uncharted franchise but I won't really go there.

• Informative

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
God of War: Ascension is amazing and I will die on that hill. The most technically impressive PS3 game as well. That game put almost every launch PS4 game to shame.

And the multiplayer was underrated.

• brain

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I have never been disappointed by a God of War game since playing the original in 2005, which is more than I can say for almost any other IP.

Just to clarify, I have only played the main games in the series.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
not at all...I love TLOU2, a lot more than TLOU1. You can look through my post history, GoW is just my all time favorite so I'm very biased 😂
I hope they don’t miss on that GOW Amazon Tv show. I don’t know how the hell they’re going to pull off the Kratos casting. I just hope it’s decent.

Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I hope they don’t miss on that GOW Amazon Tv show. I don’t know how the hell they’re going to pull off the Kratos casting. I just hope it’s decent.
Me too, that's why fantasy stuff should always be animated and not live action....

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Uncharted and Halo has nothing in common. As the creator of the series said, the franchise was meant to keep going similar to ndiana Jones. It's pulp fiction. I still think it was weird to literally age out Nathan, Sully and Elena after 4 games 💀.

The simple truth is Neil never cared for the Uncharted franchise but I won't really go there.
It’s not about them having anything in common. It’s about franchise fatigue. You mention Indiana Jones, but there hasn’t been a great Indiana Jones film since the 80’s. The latest film flopped. I know ND doesn‘t miss. But imo, ending Drake’s story and giving him a happy sendoff was the right call. I think if you continue the Uncharted story, making a Sully prequel or spin-offs with Chloe would be the right call.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Critics piled on it... Even so the game made back its budget plus more as it was profitable. Shu was such an ass back then because he would constantly throw devs under the bus.
Just saw this. Did Shu rip the game publicly? It‘s because of Shu, that Fromsoftware is not a PS Studio. SMH.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It’s not about them having anything in common. It’s about franchise fatigue. You mention Indiana Jones, but there hasn’t been a great Indiana Jones film since the 80’s. The latest film flopped. I know ND doesn‘t miss. But imo, ending Drake’s story and giving him a happy sendoff was the right call. I think if you continue the Uncharted story, making a Sully prequel or spin-offs with Chloe would be the right call.
There's no such thing as franchise fatigue. I remember when Critics were saying the same thing about God of War franchise at one point. Nobody ever cares about Franchise fatigue when it comes to Mario, Resident Evil, Pokemon, COD for example... Uncharted never faced having a franchise fatigue as the games are their own capsuled adventure... You can skip one entry and still not be lost, so they never ran the risk of burnout on the end user.

I only mentioned Indiana Jones because thats what the game was inspired by.. an action adventure pulp fiction theme based around treasure hunting, so it allowed them endless material for story concepts.

Drake's personal story was never at the forefront till Uncharted 4 that's my point. His "story" was always about building his own legacy until Neil retcon'd that arc by rewriting his origin to fit in Sam 🙄

• brain

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Just saw this. Did Shu rip the game publicly? It‘s because of Shu, that Fromsoftware is not a PS Studio. SMH.
No he did rip the game publicly. But he cut ties with Ready At Dawn immediately after so many years of them working together. He did the same thing with Hello Games and publicly slighted them after No Mans Sky messy launch... Both studios should have been under the PlayStation Umbrella.

Same way he let Super Massive get away because he was "surprised" by the success of Until Dawn 🥴

• Informative

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
No he did rip the game publicly. But he cut ties with Ready At Dawn immediately after so many years of them working together. He did the same thing with Hello Games and publicly slighted them after No Mans Sky messy launch... Both studios should have been under the PlayStation Umbrella.

Same way he let Super Massive get away because he was "surprised" by the success of Until Dawn 🥴
Unbelievable. I like Shu, but he’s made many mistakes that people don‘t call out. Missing on From was his biggest. He hated Demon Souls because he thought it was a technical mess. But he didn’t look at it’s amazing game design. He chose not to publish Dark Souls, Namco did and the rest is history. They did fund Bloodborne, but it was too little to late by that point.

• sad