God of War project being worked on not by Santa Monica Studios. Last of Us II for PC is being announced. GOW R coming to PC.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So after GOT and GOW Ragnarok get their PC ports, the only 2020-post SIE 1P releases that'd still be exclusive to PS5 are GT7, Spiderman 2, Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls Remake.

And, if we go by the Nvidia leak, plus the PC PSVR2 news, we can probably expect to scratch GT7 off that list before the end of this year. Leaving just three games. But, Demon's Souls Remake is also on that list, and a port for that will probably happen between now and next year. We can also scratch off Spiderman 2, most likely, because that could end up on PC by sometime H1 2025.

Imagine being little over halfway into a console generation and your only actual exclusive is Astro's Playroom, a demo. Couldn't be Nintendo.

Like I've been saying, the ports in themselves aren't the problem. It's the lack of equivalent new exclusives for the console around the time of the ports that's the bigger issue. And that not even halfway through the generation, we can count the number of genuine 1P exclusives to the console on one hand. That doesn't look too different from Xbox now, does it?

I'd say as a platform holder, you want to be able to look at snapshots of your platform halfway through the gen, then at the end of the gen, and see that you've got a strong case of content differentiation, meaning exclusives, on your system. Microsoft can't say that whatsoever. Sony are barely hanging on by a thread being able to say it. Nintendo and Valve can say it proudly with their chests.

And, well, we've seen what this strategy has played in its part towards diluting demand for that console hardware. Only idiots will want to pretend similar can't happen to PlayStation.
I agree, except for the part about PC ports not being the problem. They are still part of the problem, time frame notwithstanding.

On top of that Sony is not delivering as many games that I am interested in like they did before. I don't know for sure, but the number seems less, and the variety is definitely lower than earlier generations. I understand that can be a side effect of how risky these productions are becoming but ... the net effect is still the same. I'm hardly turning on my PS5 these days.

24 Jun 2022
Sony hasn’t announced a new single player game since Spider-Man 2 in 2021.

Their only 2 first party releases they have this year are MLB 24 and Concord. MLB is day 1 GamePass and Concord is day 1 PC.

And people will still say with a straight face that Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst are good leaders.

Yeah if people took a moment to step back and see the whole picture, 1P-wise the number of exclusives to the PS5 is insanely low. The Nvidia leak, which has been 100% accurate for Sony games so far, just lowers that even more.

And 3P exclusives can't fill that same role because those are games from different companies who might need multiplatform for various reasons. Meaning, whatever console exclusivity there is will be very limited.

I agree, except for the part about PC ports not being the problem. They are still part of the problem, time frame notwithstanding.

On top of that Sony is not delivering as many games that I am interested in like they did before. I don't know for sure, but the number seems less, and the variety is definitely lower than earlier generations. I understand that can be a side effect of how risky these productions are becoming but ... the net effect is still the same. I'm hardly turning on my PS5 these days.

Ideally there'd be no PC ports, except maybe for some GAAS. Because that would mirror what they did in the past with games like EverQuest & Planetside, or even the ports of games like Wipeout.

And once Sony scaled back on internal AA type of games, the scaling back in variety was bound to happen. Though I think that gets exaggerated sometimes; they still have variety with stuff like GT7, Returnal, Demon's Souls Remake, MLB The Show etc.

But then again, how many of those are exclusive to their console?...

Reactions: Dr Bass

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
@thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Heard a theory from that Reforge Gaming guy. Not sure if it's originally his but he said it.

What do you think about the theory that Sony actually delayed their single player projects from major studios so they could put more time in and utilize PS5 Pro? There are rumors that the next major showcase this year will have all major studios with their titles there and with the rumors about the Pro releasing this Autumn, it connects.

I think it's in the same place as "Sony's not announcing any acquisitions because of the CMA trial". Meaning, it's BS.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
@thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Heard a theory from that Reforge Gaming guy. Not sure if it's originally his but he said it.

What do you think about the theory that Sony actually delayed their single player projects from major studios so they could put more time in and utilize PS5 Pro? There are rumors that the next major showcase this year will have all major studios with their titles there and with the rumors about the Pro releasing this Autumn, it connects.

I think it's in the same place as "Sony's not announcing any acquisitions because of the CMA trial". Meaning, it's BS.
That would be dumb as fuck

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

1st party has been pretty underwhelming for sure this gen, but their 2nd party partnerships have been pretty good to me. FF16 was good, FF7R gotg material, helldivers is great, Returnal excellent, demons souls remake also excellent, the horizon vr game was pretty good, sifu was pretty good. Kena was kinda meh but it was pretty. Genshin has taken thousands of hours of my time. Plenty to play, but first party needs to get back in the saddle for sure.

Reactions: Umar

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
So after GOT and GOW Ragnarok get their PC ports, the only 2020-post SIE 1P releases that'd still be exclusive to PS5 are GT7, Spiderman 2, Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls Remake.

And, if we go by the Nvidia leak, plus the PC PSVR2 news, we can probably expect to scratch GT7 off that list before the end of this year. Leaving just three games. But, Demon's Souls Remake is also on that list, and a port for that will probably happen between now and next year. We can also scratch off Spiderman 2, most likely, because that could end up on PC by sometime H1 2025.

Imagine being little over halfway into a console generation and your only actual exclusive is Astro's Playroom, a demo. Couldn't be Nintendo.

Like I've been saying, the ports in themselves aren't the problem. It's the lack of equivalent new exclusives for the console around the time of the ports that's the bigger issue. And that not even halfway through the generation, we can count the number of genuine 1P exclusives to the console on one hand. That doesn't look too different from Xbox now, does it?

I'd say as a platform holder, you want to be able to look at snapshots of your platform halfway through the gen, then at the end of the gen, and see that you've got a strong case of content differentiation, meaning exclusives, on your system. Microsoft can't say that whatsoever. Sony are barely hanging on by a thread being able to say it. Nintendo and Valve can say it proudly with their chests.

And, well, we've seen what this strategy has played in its part towards diluting demand for that console hardware. Only idiots will want to pretend similar can't happen to PlayStation.
While I'm obviously on the other side of the equation receiving these games what becomes incredibly clear when you get down to brass tacks is how little first party games there are over the course of a generation.

These games receiving ports really highlights how few and far between there is with releases.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
1st party has been pretty underwhelming for sure this gen, but their 2nd party partnerships have been pretty good to me. FF16 was good, FF7R gotg material, helldivers is great, Returnal excellent, demons souls remake also excellent, the horizon vr game was pretty good, sifu was pretty good. Kena was kinda meh but it was pretty. Genshin has taken thousands of hours of my time. Plenty to play, but first party needs to get back in the saddle for sure.
Demons Souls, Horizon VR, Returnal are all first party

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
The negative effect of Sony releasing games on PC is they can leave console players in a 1st party drought while they collect revenue from new PC releases of their old games. No major 1st party games until 2025. There is no pressure to release something every quarter to bring in revenue when they can just release an old port on PC or get money from there.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Demons Souls, Horizon VR, Returnal are all first party
IG horizon VR since Sony acquired Firesprite before the game shipped is but they were all developed by external studios at time of release

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Irrelevant, first party now
No, it's not irrelevant. The point is their 2nd party partnerships have been more fruitful than the 1st party devs that they've had for a while. The fact that those partnerships led to acquisition is beside the point.