God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I told you why it feels like a DLC: it is exactly the same of the 2018 game. Of course the story is moved forward, of course it's not a "DLC" because it's a full fledge story, and not just some 1 hour quick side quest.

But the game, the mechanic, the loading screens are exactly the same of the 2018 version. And I believe that what is really pulling the game down is the PS4 compatibility. THAT is what probably why to me it gives a DLC feeling.

Is the game worth €80 of day one? YES
From what I played (slightly above 20 hours) doesn't feel like a DLC and isn't is not exactly the same of the 2018 game at all because it has a lot of changes, additions improvements that keep appearing as you keep playing the game. As a random example when I had around 20 hours played appeared another important changes/additions that affects combat and puzzles.

Tiny 'spoiler', for the ones who played it until this point to know what I mean:
During (and specially once you complete it) a chunk of the main story related to Freya's personal backstory and her relationship with Kratos, you unlock several things including another brand new mechanic to solve puzzles -not only a new 'key' to open/unlock new paths, you also unlock a few of them around this point- and also a big addition / change related to support character mechanics and features. The game already did this several times until this point and the game hints (and some reviewers spoiled) that there are more to come.

The main structure, mecanics and genre obviously are the same because it's a sequel, and like basically all sequels keep the same structure, mechanics and genre: in this case to mix portions of combat, exploration/puzzles and cutscenes.

But unlike DLCs, and unlike most sequels, this game highly expands them adding a good number of important changes and additions to them, improving them. Something that DLCs don't have at all.

In fact as the game progresses it keeps introducing new things that highly or even totally change its combat and puzzles. And can't say more without going too spoilery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
My only pet peeve is that the game doesn't let you skip most dialog and that drives me crazy, there should always be an option. Sometimes I just don't want to hear bantering and chatting and want to get right back to the action..

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Moderating
16 Jun 2022
My only pet peeve is that the game doesn't let you skip most dialog and that drives me crazy, there should always be an option. Sometimes I just don't want to hear bantering and chatting and want to get right back to the action..
I find the dialogs a joy to hear. Certainly, after the first run, they will get boring.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yes, it is DLC, I hoped they change it, like make it turn based or something. Next game I hope will be Kratos playing football or whatever if not it will be just another dlc. Highly disappointing
No, they rebuilt and redid the engine in 2018 so for the sequel we need another new engine and totally different mechanics just like Destiny 2, Spiderman, Assn Creed, COD, etc..... Don't you know that's the new goal post movement and criticism for "only" Sony games :)

😉

Reactions: PlacidusaX

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I find the dialogs a joy to hear. Certainly, after the first run, they will get boring.
Oh I'm sure you do and many do but I'm a very impatient person by nature so it drives me crazy when I'm just trying to get along in the story. It's nowhere near as bad as Witcher 3 or any other Gabe wuth dialog but sometimes it irks me.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
I told you why it feels like a DLC: it is exactly the same of the 2018 game. Of course the story is moved forward, of course it's not a "DLC" because it's a full fledge story, and not just some 1 hour quick side quest.

But the game, the mechanic, the loading screens are exactly the same of the 2018 version. And I believe that what is really pulling the game down is the PS4 compatibility. THAT is what probably why to me it gives a DLC feeling.

Is the game worth €80 of day one? YES
I agree

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The main structure, mecanics and genre obviously are the same because it's a sequel, and like basically all sequels keep the same structure, mechanics and genre: in this case to mix portions of combat, exploration/puzzles and cutscenes.
Even that, most modern sequels are not that far removed from their pressor.
- traversal is much smoother (faster)
- fighting has a completely different feeling (it is more dynamic and there is much less reliance on side kicks)
- the whole side quest structure is completely different (there is no talking to a spirit or something to "get" a quest, you just have places or of the way with side adventures if you will

I get someone looking at screenshots could not get how different it feels, but this is far from a simple DLC expansion that unlocks a few extra realms.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just to add to my point.

I don’t think it feels or look like a DLC.
It is definitely a sequel just like Uncharted to Uncharted 2.

My issue with the cross-gen is because the game could be even better… it is amazing but can you imagine it without the cross-gen development?

And don’t make mistake because the game is really rooted in what they created for PS4… Digital Foundry said the same.

It improves graphic, gameplay and story but that is expected from a sequel… my issue is that most in graphics it didn’t take advantage from PS5 to the point it feels sub-utilized.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I really do enjoy the banter between characters. It’s one of handful of aspects of the game that kind of blur the lines from it being god of war while also feeling like a rpg traveling with your party of allies. The substance helps. Kratos and Atreus have plenty of great moments to move both their story arcs and mimir is always amazing for getting your feet wet with the mythology.

I can draw comparison to more types of games too. Sometimes it feels like Tomb Raider with the puzzles and dungeons, etc… very similar to the reboot trilogy in many ways.

Absolutely love this.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
my two cents about the game after nearly 40h. remember, i am playing on hardest difficulty.

for me, personally, hardest is highly unbalanced. every single enemy can dropped you in 2-3 hits, and i am on advance health pool. bigger enemies one shot me without any problems. that is garbage especially when Progression of weapon and armor is highly gatekeeped. you always underleveled. to see green bar enemy is like to see a miracle. 90% encounters are more frustrating than satisfying, most of encounters i die at least once, while i scout what is the situation. hardest difficulty just shows how this system is old and shit.
second, most of the special skills takes 80-90 recharge for light attacks and 120 for heavy, basically you can use one in encounter, if you have 2 encounters, you are screwed or you just stop and don't move and wait while it is recharging, not very good, especially of large pool simple enemies.
Souls games has nothing on this game's difficulty.

you are God of War - god killer, but on this level, i feel like he is a peasant.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
you are God of War - god killer, but on this level, i feel like he is a peasant.
Well... Not to blame the victim, but you kind of asked for it.

I started on the level above normal (whatever it's called) and I decided to drop to normal at the Thor fight. I'm happy with my choice, however regular encounters could be a little harder, but I prefer not to fit a gazillion times for every big encounter.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
“Give me No Mercy” to me seems like the perfect difficulty. IMO.

Punishing enough but still driving you to some kind of mastery of combat. I don’t find it unfair.

I do feel like anything easier is probably a disservice to the game genuinely but the narrative is super strong enough where I’m sure even casual players find that alone of value.

These two God of War games are really the only games other than something from Kojima that are in their own class far and above the rest of the industry when it comes to telling a story.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
P

peter42O

Was playing on No Mercy for the first five hours but since, im playing on Balanced. It's simply a lot more enjoyable yet still challenging.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
This Ironwood portion is really souring my experience with the game. I loathe it. I am now severely concerned for where the game’s narrative is going and future of the series. I hope it’s a swerve.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I started on the level above normal (whatever it's called) and I decided to drop to normal at the Thor fight. I'm happy with my choice, however regular encounters could be a little harder, but I prefer not to fit a gazillion times for every big encounter.
Yeap Normal seems to be the right difficult.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This Ironwood portion is really souring my experience with the game. I loathe it. I am now severely concerned for where the game’s narrative is going and future of the series. I hope it’s a swerve.
Thought it was just me! It soured mine as well although I loved the boss battle. Also the world is gorgeous but thy overstayed their welcome in this portion and driving on top of you know what wasn't fun for me.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Yes, but when projectiles flying, footsolgers are ''flying" too, the game should be more forgiven even on the hardest because from any direction two shots can end you, and there is plenty of blind sides. Bosses are less intimidating then low level footsolgers, like what? 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, maybe I gonna try one level lower, to see how it feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.