Google may be broken up, could Sony pick up something interesting in the fallout?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It looks like Google is being threatened with a breakup of the company...

This would result in several parts being spun off.... Google search being one part, YouTube being a spin off in its own right and Android being another...

Could Sony benefit from this in some way? Is there anything they could afford to acquire? Or that would even be worth acquiring...

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Id rather youtube remain independent or someone like Musk who emphasizes free speech get it. Either way i doubt the US actually goes through with this.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Id rather youtube remain independent or someone like Musk who emphasizes free speech get it. Either way i doubt the US actually goes through with this.
Yeah, I think they just want to hold it over them to get whatever they want...

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
The appeals will take years, so it's not really an opportunity for the here and now.

Also a lot of the parts that will get spun off aren't profitable at all on their own, so it's unlikely that Sony will come in to purchase like.. YouTube or Gmail.

• they're_right_you_know

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The only good things google has is gmail and youtube everything else is doo doo, I stopped using chrome for opera gx and it is much better than chrome. For search- google is too far ahead and nothing much can be done about it.

Now coming to breaking up useless greedy bloated corpos, How about we bust up microsoft and incarcerate Gates first instead of breaking up google

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Any one of the three Googles would be ten times bigger than Sony. And, of course, I'll point out the Biden admin FCC's dismal track record on actually winning cases, which I am sure you are well aware of by now.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
From what I know microsoft is too deep in the governments pockets for them to do anything but schill for them.
Everything is too dependant on them and that is a risk for the whole of society.

If they are not broken up, there at least needs to be competition against their OS...

But you're absolutely right, no government will break up Microsoft, they had their chance in the 90s

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
If they break up I don't thin sony has the money for any of these things, so tencent will probably buy all of it.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
If they break up I don't thin sony has the money for any of these things, so tencent will probably buy all of it.
No chance the US will allow any Chinese companies to buy anything from Google. Literally none. And the DOJ is bluffing, can't break up Google. Too important to the country. Same with Microsoft.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It looks like Google is being threatened with a breakup of the company...

This would result in several parts being spun off.... Google search being one part, YouTube being a spin off in its own right and Android being another...

Could Sony benefit from this in some way? Is there anything they could afford to acquire? Or that would even be worth acquiring...
Nah. They already partly did it and created Alphabet and the others. Just like Meta did in the past too, pretty likely they'll just split it into more companies but the people behind them will continue being the same.

Sony already bought Haven, which were the people running the WIP Stadia first party games. Other than that, Sony could only be interested to getting maybe Google Play (the Android app store).

But the US government, its military and intelligence agencies will want to continue controlling it to further spy the Android users, so wouldn't sell it to a Japanese company.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The only thing Sony can afford is losers like bungie etc.... This one will be for the big boys if it happens not minnows like Sony