Google may be broken up, could Sony pick up something interesting in the fallout?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Dont know how they get broken up and MS dont?
Well they violated rules related to their advertising business, which Microsoft has practically no participation in. Provided that MS doesn't revert back to bundling issues of 20 years ago, the lack of a crime means the lack of a punishment.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Id rather youtube remain independent or someone like Musk who emphasizes free speech get it. Either way i doubt the US actually goes through with this.
Someone like Musk who emphasizes free speech get YouTube? So it can become another right propaganda outlet? Like what has become of Twitter

YouTube should remain under Google for many reasons. So many of their backend data for billions of users are tied into these things.

I don't think y'all understand how expensive it is to keep YouTube fully functional in its current form... I don't see how going independent will help.

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Well they violated rules related to their advertising business, which Microsoft has practically no participation in. Provided that MS doesn't revert back to bundling issues of 20 years ago, the lack of a crime means the lack of a punishment.
They're already forcing Recall onto every Windows 11+ installation by linking the windows explorer to it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They're already forcing Recall onto every Windows 11+ installation by linking the windows explorer to it.
Unless you spoke, Windows Explorer is not Internet Explorer and is part and parcel of Windows. So, what, they've been selling Windows with Windows? Thats allowed.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Unless you spoke, Windows Explorer is not Internet Explorer and is part and parcel of Windows. So, what, they've been selling Windows with Windows? Thats allowed.
First of all, in the old IE issue back in the day, Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer were linked. The shell was coupled to the browser, which was supposed to be an independent program. That was the problem then.

Recall is an AI agent that is constantly recording your activity in the background (in other words, spying on the user). MS had promised it would be opt-in, but not only is it now actually on by default, it no longer is an optional component, it became integral to the operating system.

They lied. I wonder if the recorded data really stays local. I'm sure they were honest about that...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sloane_Ranger