GTA VI should only run at 30fps on PS5 Pro, says Digital Foundry

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
then-whats-even-the-point-v0-3xluqrvhn8od1.jpeg
According to Digital Foundry channel, GTA VI should only run at 30fps on the PS5 Pro, as the new hardware doesn't have what it takes to reach 60fps, requiring a “technological miracle”.

I still assume that GTA VI will be a 30fps game, unless some kind of technological miracle happens, and there is no technology in the PS5 Pro that can change that.
DF says that the fact that the PS5 Pro keeps the same CPU is disappointing, having to leave all the 60fps burden to the GPU and the PSSR upscaling technology. This wouldn't help CPU-limited games that focus heavily on simulation, such as GTA VI and the recently released Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2.

Source

Last edited:

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Yeah, no sh*t. Anybody that thought that PS5 Pro with the same cpu would run GTA VI at 60fps, a game that has all of these things and attention to detail going on screen, were fooling themselves. If you want to play GTA VI at 60fps on console, you’re going to have to wait for GTA VI remaster in 2029.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
He's correct. Big open world games are CPU bound. Rockstar is focused on the Xbox series x and a, and PS5. PS5 pro is the minority and barely has any cpu improvements. So yeah 30fps. Just gotta wait for a PC release for 60 fps.

• haha
Reactions: PlacidusaX

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
He's correct. Big open world games are CPU bound. Rockstar is focused on the Xbox series x and a, and PS5. PS5 pro is the minority and barely has any cpu improvements. So yeah 30fps. Just gotta wait for a PC release for 60 fps.
Would you like to bet?

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Laughable xtot shill comments hahaha

Lets wait for ps5pro perfomance

Reactions: PlacidusaX

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
DF has been completely wrong about hardware this gen especially in the Series X vs PS5 match-up. I would not take them for face value on predictions.

Depending on how Rockstar utilises the tech and engine and how they optimise the workload even if they do or do not there is no way of knowing as an outsider. We also don't know what kind of partnership Jim Ryan has made if there is one and if XDev is going to help out like they have done for several 3rd party titles.

I would argue GTA5 is a good base model on PS5 with its RT 60 mode on how it could possible run at 60 and that's discounting the geometry, assets and lightning upgrades 6 automatically will have compared to 7th gen structure of 5. Guys there is a Series S version apparently, how could you be perceived as tech expert and make such dumb claims.

Even if there is no 60 mode, it will have the best version, PSSR with better ray-tracing and at least 40fps (VRR) mode.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
They have been horrible at analyzing consoles for the whole generation, and I don't think that’s going to change anytime soon.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
Rockstar has always used as much of the consoles capacity as possible, and Sony wanting to market the PS5 Pro, do you really think it's not going to make 60FPS the console's selling point? and of course, a lot of this is just speculation, we do not know how complex GTA 6 is, and I'm sure that 1080-1440p 60FPS are guaranteed, after all, no one promised 4k60 (and not even need, the PSSR will do magic)

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
If its 30 FPS then it must be the most CPU intensive game of all time. It takes a lot to max a decent CPU (say haswell I7 and up) at just 30 FPS.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
then-whats-even-the-point-v0-3xluqrvhn8od1.jpeg
According to Digital Foundry channel, GTA VI should only run at 30fps on the PS5 Pro, as the new hardware doesn't have what it takes to reach 60fps, requiring a “technological miracle”.

DF says that the fact that the PS5 Pro keeps the same CPU is disappointing, having to leave all the 60fps burden to the GPU and the PSSR upscaling technology. This wouldn't help CPU-limited games that focus heavily on simulation, such as GTA VI and the recently released Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2.

Source
Idiots strike again. Pathetic.
Complete and utter made up shit.

What kind of people can still watch them? With all this FUD and incompetence, they should've lost all subs.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
If its 30 FPS then it must be the most CPU intensive game of all time. It takes a lot to max a decent CPU (say haswell I7 and up) at just 30 FPS.
They are probably imagining a 4K60 scenario, but in reality, 1440p60 is more realistic, with 4k30 being the alternative

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Well If we judge by the PC port, GTA V is one of the games that offers impressive scalling across a wide selection of hardware. You can play the game on an old pentium dual core and 8800GT as well as max out modern high end HW.

If the PC port is future proofed like GTAV and RDR2 a PS5 pro won't get 4k 60 and maxed settings and we also have to consider ray tracing into the mix.

We never got a GTA built from the ground up for 8th gen level HW so we should be seeing an unprecedented leap. GTA V was a souped up 360 game.

Knowing Rockstar, the PC port to be released in 2026 early 2027 will be the foundation of the game for PS6 and nextbox.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
If it’s 30 FPS then it must be the most CPU intensive game of all time. It takes a lot to max a decent CPU (say haswell I7 and up) at just 30 FPS.
Looking at that trailer and seeing all of those npc’s on the beach. It looks very CPU intense. Also, wasn’t GTA V very cpu limited?