GTA VI should only run at 30fps on PS5 Pro, says Digital Foundry

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
Talking about how a game that is not out is going to run on a console that is not out?

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Wow, npc, cpu intense.

Days Gone had 500 infected on screen on JAGUAR bottom tier cpu. On the same Cpu, there are loads of games with cities filled with npc.
Considering all those npcs will be using euphoria to calculate their animations and that this game world will be infinitely more detailed and open ended than days gone I'm willing to bet it will wring that zen 2 chip for everything it's worth

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
It could be the downfall of Digital Foundry. Glad to see that happen.

Nah. They drooled all over the Series X and their expectation of the console being so much better than the PS5 due to having a "more advanced GPU", and that fell flat on their face. This will be the same.

John Linneman and Oliver McKenzie are still good at detecting details and doing performance analyses, though. They're the reason I keep watching their videos.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I was trying to find which desktop CPU is closer to PS5 Pro's CPU.
I think the Ryzen 7 3700X is the closest even so there are some disadvantages in PS5 Pro's CPU like it doesn't boots clock to 4.5Ghz and it is a capped mobile version instead the full Desktop version.

Let's see how CPU bound games do in this CPU.

Which is the latest CPU bound game released?

Dragon Dogma 2 is close to reach 60fps with that CPU (in any resolution) but drops below it in big cities (drops close to 30fps).
That using a RTX 3080 (but the GPU doesn't matter much because even a RTX 4090 won't change the results).

Using the same game example CPU R7 5800X paired with 7800XT averages at 35fps in the main city (one of the big ones)... 5800X is a Zen3 CPU and runs at higher clocks than 3700X.

I wonder how a hypothetical Civilization V can do in PS5 Pro... and if GTA VI is even more CPU bound than Dragon Dogma 2.
If it is then stable 60fps on PS5 Pro will be really a challenge.

Last edited: