Halo Infinite Hits Highest PC Player Count In Over A Year As Season 5 Lands

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Halo Infinite has hit 18,000 concurrent players on Steam, this is its highest peak since the launch of Season 2, 17 months ago. It is currently in the Top 50 based on concurrent players.

The exact player count high since Season 5 landed is 18,007 at the time of writing according to SteamDB, and this is the first time the game has gotten close to its 20k+ number back in April of last year.

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
lol, redemption story. Keep pushing that PR bs, Microsoft. That'll definitely sell your stuff and not, you know, actually good games.

This company's insufferable with the amount of PR/shilling/astroturfing it's doing instead of simply hunkering down and making great games, like its competitors.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Controversial opinion, but I’ve never really thought Halo Infinite was bad. When it first came out, a lot of people were actually celebrating it. It seems like in its new role as an F2P game, it couldn’t really deliver the content like is expected nowadays, and that and the cancelled co-op brewed quite the backlash.

But… it looks and feels like Halo. It’s quite fun. Single or multi. This is more than I could ever collectively say for Halo 4 and 5.

Although 18 isn’t exactly phone home figures, I feel like maybe people are coming around to it?

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Although 18 isn’t exactly phone home figures, I feel like maybe people are coming around to it?
People aren't coming around to it. 18 000 players for a multiplayer franchise is nothing. Halo reddit itself is pretty much still shitting on it. Content is still crap and they have actual technical issues still, the kind that forces people to cancel tournaments.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
People aren't coming around to it. 18 000 players for a multiplayer franchise is nothing. Halo reddit itself is pretty much still shitting on it. Content is still crap and they have actual technical issues still, the kind that forces people to cancel tournaments.
Yeah, that’s what I said about the number.

As someone who enjoyed it despite predominantly negative feelings towards Microsoft right now, it’s something I hope for. I think the game got a bad run of it. I can’t speak to tourney stuff, but as an old-school Halo fan I’m not that worried about a content schedule or what Reddit thinks. I think this one got an unnecessarily bad rap. Disagree with me if you like, that’s fine.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Controversial opinion, but I’ve never really thought Halo Infinite was bad. When it first came out, a lot of people were actually celebrating it. It seems like in its new role as an F2P game, it couldn’t really deliver the content like is expected nowadays, and that and the cancelled co-op brewed quite the backlash.

But… it looks and feels like Halo. It’s quite fun. Single or multi. This is more than I could ever collectively say for Halo 4 and 5.

Well there are two halves to the game, I assume you mean the multiplayer since the campaign is terrible. But the MP had decent gameplay, nice graphics, but suffered from:
  1. No forge.
  2. No custom game modes.
  3. No sharing options for the above when forge launched.
  4. Bad game mode playlists/inability to choose certain modes (import for getting "Win X games of Oddball" like challenges)
  5. Lobby issues.
  6. Bad battlepass.
  7. Bad customization features.
  8. Predatory in game store.
  9. Lack of map variety.
  10. Desync issues that made the game borderline unplayable in general, and massive ping in certain regions due to server location (and then they would ban you if you implemented server prioritization on your end.
It simply wasn't interesting to play. Also remembered they had the really bad challenge features for battlepass that meant people would join your game and play bad because they had to do certain challenges, so it affected gameplay.

Reactions: Arc

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Well there are two halves to the game, I assume you mean the multiplayer since the campaign is terrible. But the MP had decent gameplay, nice graphics, but suffered from:
  1. No forge.
  2. No custom game modes.
  3. No sharing options for the above when forge launched.
  4. Bad game mode playlists/inability to choose certain modes (import for getting "Win X games of Oddball" like challenges)
  5. Lobby issues.
  6. Bad battlepass.
  7. Bad customization features.
  8. Predatory in game store.
  9. Lack of map variety.
  10. Desync issues that made the game borderline unplayable in general, and massive ping in certain regions due to server location (and then they would ban you if you implemented server prioritization on your end.
It simply wasn't interesting to play. Also remembered they had the really bad challenge features for battlepass that meant people would join your game and play bad because they had to do certain challenges, so it affected gameplay.
I enjoyed the campaign in the sense of a Halo ‘B-game’. There was something fun about Halo doubling down on the open world spaces, although it was a far cry from the good old days.

I have to concede everything you listed, but as someone who got some free time, turned the game on for a few, and unwound with that very Halo classic style gameplay, I really enjoyed it. Unlike the campaign, it felt almost exactly like old times, with expected modern tweaks and just some incredibly fun, skillful gameplay.

• haha

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
There’s room for Battlefield. It still manages to carve out its own place for itself distinct from other games.

They could just stick with 2042 for a bit. This comeback for the season looks legit. Price on the base game has def collapsed after this long and the ps plus basic monthly drop. Taking the base game f2p could open it up further by freeing itself from console online paywalls.

I should put in a few games today. Just redownloaded.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Halo Infinite has hit 18,000 concurrent players on Steam, this is its highest peak since the launch of Season 2, 17 months ago. It is currently in the Top 50 based on concurrent players.

The exact player count high since Season 5 landed is 18,007 at the time of writing according to SteamDB, and this is the first time the game has gotten close to its 20k+ number back in April of last year.

Christ, that’s pathetic for what was once marketed as the be-all, end-all of online gaming.

You love to see it!

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
On a similar note, Diablo 4 came out on Steam this week and the peak is only 10k 😬

This is an indie-level flop. That game is so dead.

Eh… pc players would still be on battle.net unless there’s account migration like I think Bethesda has done? The steam players are additional new accounts/players.

Diablo dropped out of console top 50 on Xbox. New season may bring it back but I highly doubt there’s a comeback even for a month or two without a major expansion.

The whole idea of starting a new character each season… this is so flawed. That right there pushes me out of even considering playing it as a hardcore player and buying into its service model. Nah I’m good

24 Jun 2022
11.7K on Steam RN. The peaks for this game on Steam are abysmally low. Player averages seem to be around 7K - 10K, depending on if it's a weekday or weekend. What's more I expect many of the concurrent are the same players regularly so total player base size is very small.

It's like the game is just limping along; none of these new Seasons have truly reinvigorated interest in the game or the IP.

• noneofmybizz

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
11.7K on Steam RN. The peaks for this game on Steam are abysmally low. Player averages seem to be around 7K - 10K, depending on if it's a weekday or weekend. What's more I expect many of the concurrent are the same players regularly so total player base size is very small.

It's like the game is just limping along; none of these new Seasons have truly reinvigorated interest in the game or the IP.
Halo peak hours are much later. It is very likely it will reach will 20k people today imo.