Haruhiro Tsujimoto (Capcom President) has concerns over rising development costs and says that games (software) are too cheap

24 Jun 2022
That's what Colin Moriarty always says as well, he genuinely believes that AAA games should be $100 😂 I feel like Sony and Microsoft are the only companies that can make $200 Million+ dollar games and it be a financially sound decision. Even successful companies like Rockstar will always be hesitant to take that risk. 1 bad game can set you back or bankrupt your studio

Honest question: does Microsoft even make $200 million dollar games? I mean in a way where it's visibly obvious?

I've heard Starfield costed a lot of money, same with Halo Infinite. But both have very little to show for such budgets, and not just visually. Microsoft also seem more keen on shifting towards compartmentalizing their AAA into heavy GaaS models or, in the cases that can't work, scale down to AA-sized games (something between low AA to mid AA with a couple high-budget AA games here and there).

And we know games like Halo Infinite failed to reach revenue targets set forth by Microsoft, too.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Honest question: does Microsoft even make $200 million dollar games? I mean in a way where it's visibly obvious?

I've heard Starfield costed a lot of money, same with Halo Infinite. But both have very little to show for such budgets, and not just visually. Microsoft also seem more keen on shifting towards compartmentalizing their AAA into heavy GaaS models or, in the cases that can't work, scale down to AA-sized games (something between low AA to mid AA with a couple high-budget AA games here and there).

And we know games like Halo Infinite failed to reach revenue targets set forth by Microsoft, too.
c'mon bro. we all know MS is incompetent at game development and management

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Halo infinite was the most expensive game ever to develop & it was dogshit 🤣

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

No, I'm just speaking hypothetically. They should be making top quality games instead of buying publishers though, but clearly they're not capable.

I agree, Halo Infinite and Starfield don't look good at all for how expensive they're supposed to be. But Microsoft also cheaps out on payroll and only hires people on short term contracts, (without benefits) which is probably why their games look like crap. They'll spend billions on publishers but refuse to properly compensate devs and provide benefits. Shortly after Zenimax acquisition, about 300 of their employees were laid off.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Just because the original is loved doesn't make remaking it a safe bet they could've easily fucked it up & pissed off all the fans but they didn't
again. you keep ignoring pragmata.

They used R4 as a template. (the hard work was already done and figured out).

pragmata is more of a financial risk than R4 remake.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What increases development costs other than inflation?
Games nowadays are stuck in 2015. Nothing new in size and scope. Even graphics are almost the same.