Haruhiro Tsujimoto (Capcom President) has concerns over rising development costs and says that games (software) are too cheap

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
What increases development costs other than inflation?
Games nowadays are stuck in 2015. Nothing new in size and scope. Even graphics are almost the same.
Rising cost of living, they have to pay devs more and more every year to retain talent. 200 devs making an average of ~100k is 20m a year, 4 years to make a game you’re already at 80m budget just from payroll. And there are a ton of other expenses as well.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Rising cost of living, they have to pay devs more and more every year to retain talent. 200 devs making an average of ~100k is 20m a year, 4 years to make a game you’re already at 80m budget just from payroll. And there are a ton of other expenses as well.
That makes sense, but I am skeptical about increase in development time. Even 2D side scrollers seems to take forever these days. That is major contributer to cost. Some mentality in current gen developers might need to be changed. Scope of games, content, and game length need to be realistic.
A standard 3rd person action adventure nowadays takes 20 to 30 hours to finish. That's crazy. Most gamers do not have thst time to spare on a videogame. If games do not sell enough it's not because people don't pay, it's because people don't have time.

Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
That makes sense, but I am skeptical about increase in development time. Even 2D side scrollers seems to take forever these days. That is major contributer to cost. Some mentality in current gen developers might need to be changed. Scope of games, content, and game length need to be realistic.
A standard 3rd person action adventure nowadays takes 20 to 30 hours to finish. That's crazy. Most gamers do not have thst time to spare on a videogame. If games do not sell enough it's not because people don't pay, it's because people don't have time.
Yeah, I agree. Games used to have more content and release faster. I guess it’s partly because “crunch” culture is now frowned upon. And no one works anymore than they have to.

Reactions: daniel5043

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Where the fuck is the SF6 DLC people out here dying to throw Capcom money for costumes and stages and they're like sorry best we can do is TMNT avatar costumes

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
If the industry wasn’t historically greedy I would love a varied price point between $40-$100 depending on the game. But the minute GTA VI for example releases on the higher end, every undeserving publisher will rush to also make their game the same price.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
If the industry wasn’t historically greedy I would love a varied price point between $40-$100 depending on the game. But the minute GTA VI for example releases on the higher end, every undeserving publisher will rush to also make their game the same price.
The rumour is that it will cost $150 they can get fucked if thats when close to being true especially when you know for a fact the focus will be on the online & its going to be monetized up the arse with their whale cards 🤣

• Surprised
Reactions: BroodCorp
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Tht is factual! Once that precedence is set, it's over!

Reactions: BroodCorp