Has 2024 so far been the most extreme roller coaster ride ever for PlayStation?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Helldivers, Stellar Blade, RotR and Astrobot is a good haul. They made a pair of good calls with the third party exclusives.

Reactions: Entropi

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
Sony have launched 22 exclusives this gen, including those that launched on PC.

PS1 and PS2 they had over 500 exclusives.
But sure, great year and great gen for them.

Amazing to see the parallels between Sony fans this year and Microsoft fans in 2012. Pure copium over Durango leaks and non-stop "nuh-uh this isn't happening, you're just a Sonypony/PC"

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Amazing to see the parallels between Sony fans this year and Microsoft fans in 2012. Pure copium over Durango leaks and non-stop "nuh-uh this isn't happening, you're just a Sonypony/PC"

Was expecting this post from you.

What it has to do with the thread I don’t know.

Care to name those 500 exclusives on PS1 and PS2?

Even if that were true, are you seriously comparing development cycles from 30 years ago to the present?

Reactions: mibu no ookami

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023

Even if that were true, are you seriously comparing development cycles from 30 years ago to the present?

You are wasting your time. You’ll find a more intelligent and eloquent argument out of your soffa.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Low quality poster who thinks that we're in the 1990s...

Games take longer to develop, they cost more to develop, and it's easier to port games to devices using similar architecture, which means developing games on multiplatforms simply makes the most amount of sense.

Back in the late 90s, it didn't make much sense to spend money porting games to PC since the market was smaller back then and ports were more difficult. Similarly porting to N64 or Saturn made less sense and was also difficult, especially if your game was too large to fit on a cartridge due to FMVs which were high in demand back then.

Anyone comparing Sony as a first party developer or even as a publisher from then to now isn't a serious person.

I remember when Sony used to release low quality games like Primal and Rise to Honor... now every Sony game is a failure if it isn't at least an 85 on metacritic...

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024

No. Google exists.
It is true and yes I am. A dozen people made games back then. 22,000 people work at Ubisoft.
You are wasting your time. You’ll find a more intelligent and eloquent argument out of your soffa.
It's sofa, retard.
Low quality poster who thinks that we're in the 1990s...

Games take longer to develop, they cost more to develop, and it's easier to port games to devices using similar architecture, which means developing games on multiplatforms simply makes the most amount of sense.
Nintendo says what?
Back in the late 90s, it didn't make much sense to spend money porting games to PC since the market was smaller back then and ports were more difficult. Similarly porting to N64 or Saturn made less sense and was also difficult, especially if your game was too large to fit on a cartridge due to FMVs which were high in demand back then.
What does this have to do with anything? Ports were more difficult so companies made more exclusives which made the consoles more valuable propositions. It worked.
Anyone comparing Sony as a first party developer or even as a publisher from then to now isn't a serious person.
So you're happy with 22 exclusives because reasons?
I remember when Sony used to release low quality games like Primal and Rise to Honor... now every Sony game is a failure if it isn't at least an 85 on metacritic...
Lol, lmao even. Imagine believing this. Just ignoring the most popular franchises that came from playstation; tomb raider, crash bandicoot, twisted metal...you know the games.

Keep enjoying "this is fine" mentality. That worked so well for Microsoft.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Basically Sony is having a easy way releasing titles after titles.

I should say the first years of PS3 years where real roller coaster… even 2011 (?) with the whole redesign of PSN was another bigger one.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Alright guys, I have no Idea what roller coasters you guys have rode but roller coasters are not straight downs or just straight ups the whole ride unless if their really really unique.

What I meant by using the term "Roller Coaster" is like when people say "Life is like a Roller Coaster" it has highs and lows.

The reason the thread title is: "Has 2024 so far been the most extreme roller coaster ride ever for PlayStation?"

Is because this year has been filled with extremely high highs:

HellDivers 2 is PlayStations fastest selling game of all time
Sony Made more profit in Q1 than Nintendo did
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth pulled a freaking 93 on metacritic
Astrobot pulled a freaking 94 on metacritic and is Sony's Highest rated game ever on OpenCritic

But has had some really low lows mixed in there:

Sony laying off 900 employees: https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/27/... laying off,, Guerrilla Games, and Firesprite.

PlayStations own CEO saying he is worried the PlayStation Division doesn't understand if the teams understand how to grow PS5: https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/14/sony...-doesnt-understand-grow-ps5-profits-20278611/

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth debuts to lower opening week in Japan than FFXVI

Sqaure Enix was disappointed in FF7 Rebirth Sales: https://www.dualshockers.com/final-...made a,Fantasy XVI had disappointing releases.

Concord flops so hard it is pulled only 2 weeks after launch

Sony's price increase in Japan causes system sales to plumet over there.

This is an example of an "EXTREME" Roller Coaster. meaning it has really high highs and really low lows.

people pointing to the PS3 days are forgetting the company was at an all time low during all those years.
Just look how investors viewed Sony's Stock at the time: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/sony-corporate-debt-downgrade-junk-393692/
No it's been a great year for them, it's only an extreme rollercoaster if you live vicariously through online outrage
This year has had some really highs for the PlayStation team and some records broken but you can't over look the really low lows this year.
The CEO worried the PlayStation team doesn't know how to grow PS5.
Shutting Down London Studio
laying off 900 emplyees
Concord shutting down only 2 weeks after launching and I hope firewalk doesn't get shut down

Yes. But not in the way you probably think.

Final Fantasy VIIR2
Rise of The Ronin
Helldivers 2
Astro Bot
Stellar Blade.

They have been pumping out hit after hit like it's nothing. No other publisher this year even comes close. Notice how a lot of talking points in this thread are meaningless FUD articles meant to outrage those who happen to have video games as a hobby.
Then I don't think you really think this year is a roller coaster for them if its only been highs. I don't disagree with you statement that those games have been really great things to happen to PlayStation this year but this thread was about looking at both the good and the bad.
No people are just overdramatic.
This isn't just about people's online reactions tho. It's also looking at the bad stuff that happened at PlayStation this year, just look above in this post.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
PlayStations own CEO saying he is worried the PlayStation Division doesn't understand if the teams understand how to grow PS5: https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/14/sony...-doesnt-understand-grow-ps5-profits-20278611/

This headline doesn't match the actual quotes at all...

Sony didn't release any major franchise AAA games, but probably had one of its most successful years despite that. Helldivers 2 and Astro Bot more than make up for Concord.

Sony increasing the price of the PlayStation in Japan, which is their choice, is a bad thing for Sony? Make that make sense. You say sales plummeted, but go to Amazon Japan and find me a PS5 brand new... There is definitely a stock issue happening there and likely new PS5s are being sent over to china. Part of the price increase was likely to reduce that and to shift focus to some level to the PS5 Pro.

The PS5 was also low in stock when Sony was releasing the PS5 Slim.

London studio hasn't made a legitimate game in over a decade.

Sony laid off workers which isn't new for the industry. It was also probably a shot at removing under performing employees and malcontents.

Sony's fiscal year report is going to look really strong. So yes, it is just online reactions.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
You're refuting it. I'm doing the leg work for you, lazy pants.

Until you provide something to back up your claim, no one will believe it.

Again show us the 500 exclusive games on the PS1 and PS2.

Launched by Sony that is.

Or just admit you got that figure out of your ass.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
But you see it in games, studios, even recent rumors that sucker punch staff has been replaced by dei hires.
it really is troublesome.
You mean the picture with the female staff?
That's from 2018.
Be careful and don't believe everything you read rofif. Sucker Punch posted that picture in 2018 before GOT came out.

Playstation has been my "primary platform" since the PS1 released.

I can definitely say this is the least interested I've ever been in the platform. I sold my PS5 in prep for the PS5 pro and ... I just cancelled my Pro reservation. So I have no Playstation for the first time since the 90s and I have no plans to buy it again until I see something I really want to play. If that happens I'll pick up a pro, as originally planned. But if that doesn't happen, at this point, I am totally fine without one.

🤷‍♂️
So you don't play any multiplat at all and you have no interest in any of the exclusives that came out this year or stuff like Wukong/Astro/Silent Hill? You might as well stop gaming 🤷

Last edited:

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024

Peak reaching.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
But also, the truth is that sony hired a ton of dei incompetent people and they took over. you see them even in 30th anniversary reveal where cerny and totoki should be humbled... but we see some dei pr no chin lady. Totally unappealing.
Btw, it's funny how you're super anti-DEI but your name literally means gay in french "fif"

I always read your name as "gros fif" 🤣

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
So you don't play any multiplat at all and you have no interest in any of the exclusives that came out this year or stuff like Wukong/Astro/Silent Hill? You might as well stop gaming 🤷

I mean most likely the poster is lying, but let's assume for a second he isn't.

Gamers have convinced themselves that there are no games on PS5.

When TGA rolls around and the majority of the games nominated for GOTY are Sony made/published, exclusive to PS5, or not available on any other consoles, the only logical thing for them to say is that TGA is biased.

There are so many games coming out that it's hard to keep up with everything. Games I'm currently playing, recently beat, or I'm interested in picking up.

Persona 3 Reload
Astro Bot
Black Myth Wukong
Metaphor
FF7 Rebirth (only on sale)
Cyberpunk 2077 (if it is patched for PS5 Pro)
Demon's Souls
Hogwarts Legacy
Octopath Traveler 1 & 2
Sea of Stars
Chained Echoes

If Sony releases a wireless PSVR2, I'd buy it for GT7 and an eventual Ace Combat 8

I'll also play the following on PS5 Pro

RE2, RE3, RE4, FF16 (if it is on sale and patched), Witcher 3

I'll replay the following on PS5 Pro

TLOU P1, P2, Horizon Zero Dawn

Games that are maybes for me

Metal Gear Solid Delta
FF Pixel Remasters
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Monster Hunter Wilds
Alan Wake Remastered
Alan Wake 2
Control

The idea that there are no games is just laughable...

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters