Has 2024 so far been the most extreme roller coaster ride ever for PlayStation?

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
Yes. But not in the way you probably think.

Final Fantasy VIIR2
Rise of The Ronin
Helldivers 2
Astro Bot
Stellar Blade.

They have been pumping out hit after hit like it's nothing. No other publisher this year even comes close. Notice how a lot of talking points in this thread are meaningless FUD articles meant to outrage those who happen to have video games as a hobby.
I am sure as a company they already had a smashing year, but as a player their first party output has been lacking so far this gen. You cannot deny that. That is not to say that there are a lack of games to play on the PS5, but as first party goes, they have been lacking. And when people bring up the argument of games take longer to make every gen, because the tech is more advanced etc. the devs themselves contribute to that in no small part. I don't necessarily need to see every individual strand of hair on a character, or chase FPS beyond 60 (OK we are not there yet with consoles, but I bet that this will play a big role in marketing future hardware along with shit like 8K resolutions etc, down the line). Sony needed to acquire much more studios already ( not talking about getting big names like MS, just capable people) and put them to work on first party AA games. Let your big name studios work on SP hit games with online modes as a bonus ( GOT Legends was great IMO) and get a bigger studio to develop your GAAS and eventually have a hit or two on their hands that this bigger GAAS studio would maintain ( Helldivers 2 is already there). They went almost all in on GAAS it seems, while ignoring making, smaller, more innovative games, with smaller budgets and much faster dev times. Many more games like Astro Bot, but do all kinds of genres. Fighting games, more goofy racing games like CTR, shooters FFS ( Resistance, Killzone, maybe even new, smaller IPs). The goal would be to introduce new IPs of diverse genres and foster them over the years to become famous games, that are shorter, but fun, with smaller budgets and that are released every 3-4 years. It would also serve to keep you "fed" while waiting on their AAA hits.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Concord will have done epic amounts of damage. I don’t think enough to offset the mega success of Helldivers but who knows.

It’s the cost of the studio, the game’s development and marketing, and of course pulling it from sale and refunding.

Thankfully they still have products that will move cash. The pro might be coming at the perfect time. Luck? Foresight? Both!?

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Same what?
Same proportion. I'm not going to guess how many consoles are sold because that depends on a bunch of other factors.

If Sony sells 2 million PS5 consoles in the US during that time, I expect up to 160k PS5 Pro in the US.
If they sell 2 million in the EU+UK, I expect 60K PS5 Pro. If they sell 1 million in Japan, I expect no more than 10K PS5 Pro there.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Go on the record.

How many PS5 Pro units will sell between launch and the end of March, 2025?
As I remember around 18% of the PS4 sold were PS4 Pro during the whole lifetime. I assume the percentage will be similar in PS5 for the whole lifetime.

I assume that at the launch months that percentage was/will be higher because of the novelty/passionate people who buy stuff at launch or were waiting for it. Let's say around 25% being conservative. So if since early November until end of March they sell let's say 8M PS5s being conservative (they plan to sell 18M the whole FY, and most units are sold in the Christmas quarter), around a 25% of that would be PS5 Pros, so it would be over 2M units being very conservative.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
Until you provide something to back up your claim, no one will believe it.
I don't care if people believe it. The number is there on wiki for all to see.
Again show us the 500 exclusive games on the PS1 and PS2.

Launched by Sony that is
4500 games including 3rd parties, on each platform.
Or just admit you got that figure out of your ass.
Imagine giving me ultimatums like you're some kind of forum police. Idgaf if you want to believe the number. That's your issue to deal with, tough guy.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
I mean most likely the poster is lying, but let's assume for a second he isn't.

Gamers have convinced themselves that there are no games on PS5.

When TGA rolls around and the majority of the games nominated for GOTY are Sony made/published, exclusive to PS5, or not available on any other consoles, the only logical thing for them to say is that TGA is biased.

There are so many games coming out that it's hard to keep up with everything. Games I'm currently playing, recently beat, or I'm interested in picking up.

Persona 3 Reload
Astro Bot
Black Myth Wukong
Metaphor
FF7 Rebirth (only on sale)
Cyberpunk 2077 (if it is patched for PS5 Pro)
Demon's Souls
Hogwarts Legacy
Octopath Traveler 1 & 2
Sea of Stars
Chained Echoes

If Sony releases a wireless PSVR2, I'd buy it for GT7 and an eventual Ace Combat 8

I'll also play the following on PS5 Pro

RE2, RE3, RE4, FF16 (if it is on sale and patched), Witcher 3

I'll replay the following on PS5 Pro

TLOU P1, P2, Horizon Zero Dawn

Games that are maybes for me

Metal Gear Solid Delta
FF Pixel Remasters
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Monster Hunter Wilds
Alan Wake Remastered
Alan Wake 2
Control

The idea that there are no games is just laughable...
Now do a list of those games which are exclusive - you can only get it on PS5.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I don't care if people believe it. The number is there on wiki for all to see.

4500 games including 3rd parties, on each platform.

Imagine giving me ultimatums like you're some kind of forum police. Idgaf if you want to believe the number. That's your issue to deal with, tough guy.

You make a claim you back it up.

Otherwise tales from your ass.

That’s your issue to deal with.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
You make a claim you back it up.

Otherwise tales from your ass.

That’s your issue to deal with.
I've told you it's on wiki. Any refusal on your part to stroke a few keys and see for yourself is on you.

Stop replying to me telling me you're lazy and too fucking dumb to use an address bar, because I don't care. I already know you have an IQ lower than room temperature.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I am sure as a company they already had a smashing year, but as a player their first party output has been lacking so far this gen. You cannot deny that. That is not to say that there are a lack of games to play on the PS5, but as first party goes, they have been lacking. And when people bring up the argument of games take longer to make every gen, because the tech is more advanced etc. the devs themselves contribute to that in no small part. I don't necessarily need to see every individual strand of hair on a character, or chase FPS beyond 60 (OK we are not there yet with consoles, but I bet that this will play a big role in marketing future hardware along with shit like 8K resolutions etc, down the line). Sony needed to acquire much more studios already ( not talking about getting big names like MS, just capable people) and put them to work on first party AA games. Let your big name studios work on SP hit games with online modes as a bonus ( GOT Legends was great IMO) and get a bigger studio to develop your GAAS and eventually have a hit or two on their hands that this bigger GAAS studio would maintain ( Helldivers 2 is already there). They went almost all in on GAAS it seems, while ignoring making, smaller, more innovative games, with smaller budgets and much faster dev times. Many more games like Astro Bot, but do all kinds of genres. Fighting games, more goofy racing games like CTR, shooters FFS ( Resistance, Killzone, maybe even new, smaller IPs). The goal would be to introduce new IPs of diverse genres and foster them over the years to become famous games, that are shorter, but fun, with smaller budgets and that are released every 3-4 years. It would also serve to keep you "fed" while waiting on their AAA hits.
I don't have this weird expectation that I need more than a couple of games from a publisher a year to be content with their output. I also don't think i have any business caring whether or not sony OWNS the companies they are publishing games for. This year, from SIE I got Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, and internally I very much enjoyed Astro Bot. To sit there and cry about how this year is lacking because their popular internal studios are STILL COOKING is insane. They aren't just starting at walls, they are working on 4-7 year long projects, I would rather wait for quality than for Sony to force their studios to get 3+ games out a year. Even with the current output I am very much content with them, when you include third party deals such as Rebirth and Silent Hill 2. I actually think this is one of SIE's strongest years of the generation.

As far as making a slew of smaller games, it seems to me you yearn the days where games were small and released more. Good news is that they still exist in the Indie realm. Good luck to you if you think they will lower AAA development for titles that would hardly get attention.