Has PlayStation Become Arrogant With PS5? Are We Back To The PS3 Days? - Mystic (Youtube)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Mystic is great, love his content. I will watch this soon as I am busy right now but in his latest or maybe the week before LTPS he mentioned how when people claim Sony is back to their PS3 days with the PS5 price increase and that it couldn't be further from the truth business wise as 2006 Sony wished the PS3 had the Demand and revenue the PS5 Sony has right now!

Reactions: Kokoloko

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
@Bryank75 work your magic and get Mystic on here.

You must know him, you know everybody FFS.

Tout le monde. ( one of the few french words I remember from learning french at school)

Just so people know, i failed my French, my Afrikaans, my Zulu and my Ndebele language classes, English too FFS(useless Fish)

up express tout le monde a board GIF

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

Tout le monde. ( one of the few french words I remember from learning french at school)

Just so people know, i failed my French, my Afrikaans, my Zulu and my Ndebele language classes, English too FFS(useless Fish)

just the heads up, he's more of a cat person than a fish person

• sad
Reactions: Sircaw

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Are Sony really arrogant in PS3 days?

I mean people says it was because the PS3 launch price.
But the PS3 launch price only existed because Cell delayed, got more expensive than planned and ended not being everything Sony needed due complexity or lower power than planned.
Plus they wanted to push Blu-ray that for unlucky have component issues that become too expensive.

Sony tried to not go bankrupt with PS3 setting the lowest price they could.
Imagine what could happen to Sony if they eat more $300-400 cost in each PS3 unit sold? I think PlayStation exists today because Sony not gone crazy and set a $399 price for PS3 at launch because that could have killed the brand.

So I don't really arrogance but business actions in the situation... you had to save your business even making some consumers angry... and it worked because PlayStation after saved Sony as whole being for years the sole business Kaz used to build Sony what it is today.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
A great summary of the issues but they left out one of my major gripes, which is PC ports..... or games not being fully exclusive anymore.

The lack of focus on the hardware, the console.... all these red herrings... PC, mobile, services. All just distractions from what is really important.

The console price increasing really showed that they are not growth focused to me, that they are just harvesting goodwill till it is all gone.

Jim Ryan and whoever is pushing this approach to console needs to go and needs to go soon.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Everything that Sony is doing wrong with their messaging can easily be corrected. What Microsoft is doing in changing the fundamental landscape by forcing it to become a service based medium can not.

OP
OP
ParaSeoul

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022

You from SA?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw
OP
OP
ParaSeoul

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Are Sony really arrogant in PS3 days?

I mean people says it was because the PS3 launch price.
But the PS3 launch price only existed because Cell delayed, got more expensive than planned and ended not being everything Sony needed due complexity or lower power than planned.
Plus they wanted to push Blu-ray that for unlucky have component issues that become too expensive.

Sony tried to not go bankrupt with PS3 setting the lowest price they could.
Imagine what could happen to Sony if they eat more $300-400 cost in each PS3 unit sold? I think PlayStation exists today because Sony not gone crazy and set a $399 price for PS3 at launch because that could have killed the brand.

So I don't really arrogance but business actions in the situation... you had to save your business even making some consumers angry... and it worked because PlayStation after saved Sony as whole being for years the sole business Kaz used to build Sony what it is today.
IDK about Sony but some of the stuff Kutaragi said about the hardware and the competition were hilarious.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
I think their arrogance was more on the side of what their execs were saying more than anything they were doing. Yeah the launch price was ridiculous and arrogant but it was made way worse by people saying stuff like “you’ll want to go out and get a second job to afford one” or Tretton offering way above MSRP for anyone who can find a PS3 at retail as if they were hard to get. MS was the same way at the Xbone launch and there’s was worse because at least Sony’s arrogance grew from two generations of sheer dominance.

I think this gen it’s arrogant how they have raised game prices and hilarious how they comment on the Activision stuff about how unfair it is and yet they have no problem moneyhatting loads of games. The game prices are the main reason I am yet to buy a PS5. Can’t support that horse shit.

24 Jun 2022
A great summary of the issues but they left out one of my major gripes, which is PC ports..... or games not being fully exclusive anymore.

The lack of focus on the hardware, the console.... all these red herrings... PC, mobile, services. All just distractions from what is really important.

The console price increasing really showed that they are not growth focused to me, that they are just harvesting goodwill till it is all gone.

Jim Ryan and whoever is pushing this approach to console needs to go and needs to go soon.

I've been having a convo with @Yurinka over a few days in the Savage Studios thread and the big thing I've tried focusing on is what have Sony or 3P partners revealed this year, WRT PS5, that are new exclusive games (full or timed, and at least console exclusive) that wasn't already revealed in 2020 or 2021.

He did point out FF VII Rebirth and Valkyrie Elysium, two games I forgot about (not in them being announced, but in being new reveals this year that weren't announced previously), but outside of that and I suppose TLOU Factions (though not even a CG trailer, just a concept screenshot and some text at best), which is a live-service game, I can't think of anything.

OTOH they've definitely announced quite a few peripherals (In Zone headphones and monitors, Dual Sense controller, PSVR2), even a few new games for a peripheral (PSVR2), made some announcements on their live-service strategy, made acquisitions targeting PC, live-service and mobile, announced and released quite a few PC ports (Miles Morales due in November), new camo PS5 plates, new PS+ services (ultimately a good thing to do), and other things of that nature.

None of these things are bad, BTW, IMO. Not in isolation. But it hasn't been balanced out with new 1P/3P exclusive announcements for PS consoles, not to the same degree. And that's maybe part of the problem. I understand why there was a lack of it earlier in the year, because supply shortages were very severe for PS5. But it seems that has gotten a good bit better since early June, the increase in sales globally is a clear sign of that. And with their FY targets, we can only expect the supply to improve even further.

I mean we still don't have an announcement for a new Showcase but we might end up with an announcement for Returnal's PC port before that happens (IF it happens!). I don't think that's a good way of serving your core constituency, who are the hardcore/core PS faithful, the fans who've been with the brand for multiple years if not multiple generations. I think Sony've been doing right by that group in a lot of ways this year: again, releases like HFW, GT7, Sifu, Stray, etc. Marketing rights on various big games released and forthcoming. Revamping PS+. PSVR2 reveal and new games for it. Readying GOW Ragnarok for November. That 14% investment into From Software probably made a lot of people wet themselves a bit in excitement for what could come of it.

But in terms of new 1P/3P exclusive reveals/announcements of games not already shown off or revealed previously, I think they could be doing a better job. I understand why things may've been quiet on that front earlier this year, I just hope they're gearing up for more of those types of announcements in a Showcase soon. And yeah, we know there might be a PC port or two announced, maybe some live-service and mobile stuff too. Variety's good. But there definitely needs to be some stuff there that's just solely focused on the PlayStation consoles. Just the consoles. Reward that core constituency!

IDK about Sony but some of the stuff Kutaragi said about the hardware and the competition were hilarious.

Kutaragi was kind of a trash talker back in those days, even way earlier. The way he told off Nakayama (ex-Sega CEO) about the Saturn design vs. PlayStation's was some mafia movie energy. But, he always did have designs that (in some cases with time) backed up his talk. A bite to match his bark.

originally from Zambia, then zimbabwe, then SA, and now back to the uk.

Only moving again if I win the lottery, Maldives or some place in the USA where i can build a cabin, with a boat and can bbq and go fishing every day.

Sounds like an ideal spot somewhere in the Florida Keys or the Great Lakes area. Either'd be great for that type of thing, lots of space and serenity to boot.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I've been having a convo with @Yurinka over a few days in the Savage Studios thread and the big thing I've tried focusing on is what have Sony or 3P partners revealed this year, WRT PS5, that are new exclusive games (full or timed, and at least console exclusive) that wasn't already revealed in 2020 or 2021.

He did point out FF VII Rebirth and Valkyrie Elysium, two games I forgot about (not in them being announced, but in being new reveals this year that weren't announced previously), but outside of that and I suppose TLOU Factions (though not even a CG trailer, just a concept screenshot and some text at best), which is a live-service game, I can't think of anything.

OTOH they've definitely announced quite a few peripherals (In Zone headphones and monitors, Dual Sense controller, PSVR2), even a few new games for a peripheral (PSVR2), made some announcements on their live-service strategy, made acquisitions targeting PC, live-service and mobile, announced and released quite a few PC ports (Miles Morales due in November), new camo PS5 plates, new PS+ services (ultimately a good thing to do), and other things of that nature.

None of these things are bad, BTW, IMO. Not in isolation. But it hasn't been balanced out with new 1P/3P exclusive announcements for PS consoles, not to the same degree. And that's maybe part of the problem. I understand why there was a lack of it earlier in the year, because supply shortages were very severe for PS5. But it seems that has gotten a good bit better since early June, the increase in sales globally is a clear sign of that. And with their FY targets, we can only expect the supply to improve even further.

I mean we still don't have an announcement for a new Showcase but we might end up with an announcement for Returnal's PC port before that happens (IF it happens!). I don't think that's a good way of serving your core constituency, who are the hardcore/core PS faithful, the fans who've been with the brand for multiple years if not multiple generations. I think Sony've been doing right by that group in a lot of ways this year: again, releases like HFW, GT7, Sifu, Stray, etc. Marketing rights on various big games released and forthcoming. Revamping PS+. PSVR2 reveal and new games for it. Readying GOW Ragnarok for November. That 14% investment into From Software probably made a lot of people wet themselves a bit in excitement for what could come of it.

But in terms of new 1P/3P exclusive reveals/announcements of games not already shown off or revealed previously, I think they could be doing a better job. I understand why things may've been quiet on that front earlier this year, I just hope they're gearing up for more of those types of announcements in a Showcase soon. And yeah, we know there might be a PC port or two announced, maybe some live-service and mobile stuff too. Variety's good. But there definitely needs to be some stuff there that's just solely focused on the PlayStation consoles. Just the consoles. Reward that core constituency!

Kutaragi was kind of a trash talker back in those days, even way earlier. The way he told off Nakayama (ex-Sega CEO) about the Saturn design vs. PlayStation's was some mafia movie energy. But, he always did have designs that (in some cases with time) backed up his talk. A bite to match his bark.

Sounds like an ideal spot somewhere in the Florida Keys or the Great Lakes area. Either'd be great for that type of thing, lots of space and serenity to boot.
I do watch a lot of videos and the Florida key in particular, seems to be an amazing place to live.

I would be out boating every day, swimming with the dugongs lol,

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No. Not at all.

No one is out there saying customers will work two jobs to afford the PS5, and the current price with inflation is nowhere near what PS3 was in real dollars back in the day. And the games support has been very good out of the gate. People love to complain it seems.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
Personally, I like the direction Sony are going in. I just hope they don’t lose focus on their core user base.

The console is still the epicentre of everything. InZone, VR, mobile, PC, TV shows, movies… I believe everything they’re doing is with a view toward growing the user base and profits will mainly be funnelled back into the console and funding more games. At least I damn well hope so, and I don’t see anything to suggest that being not the case.

OP
OP
ParaSeoul

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Oh no he definitely deserved to talk shit,you just don't get too many guys like him anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.