Helldivers 2 director's "childhood dream" is for the game to join pantheon of PlayStation's biggest IP: "It's crazy that it might be in the future"

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1711828443404.png

Uncharted, God of War, Helldivers? Maybe one day.

For most people, Helldivers 2 doesn't immediately come to mind when you think of PlayStation, but Arrowhead CEO and the game's director, Johan Pilestedt, hopes to change that.

Helldivers 2, of course, is a PlayStation console exclusive and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future, but its developer, Arrowhead Studios, remains independent. Even so, Pilestedt hopes one day for Helldivers to be considered in the same pantheon of PlayStation brand icons as Uncharted, God of War, and Horizon.

It all started with a very silly tweet proclaiming "the ONLY two REAL gaming brands" to be PlayStation and Nintendo, posted with a split image showing various PlayStation and Nintendo characters side by side. Pilestedt rather amusingly responded asking why the heck Helldivers 2's champions of democracy weren't included in the group of PlayStation heroes, and a fan respectfully and rightfully pointed out: "As much as I love Helldivers, it isn't yet a game to immediately think, 'oh helldivers, f**k yeah PlayStation'. Not yet, but dammit it is getting there."

Pilestedt said he agrees with the fan's assessment, but added, "It's crazy that it might be in the future.... Like... It's a childhood dream come true."

Pilestedt isn't just a massive fan of PlayStation IP, as he also revealed recently that Nintendo is "the reason why I became a game dev," meaning without the house of Mario and Zelda, there probably would be no Helldivers 2 at all. And in yet another piece of newly minted crossover history, Alan Wake himself sent a personalized letter to Arrowhead CEO in praise of Helldivers 2.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'd put it there, and I'd add Wipeout and Gran Turismo to the image.
This very well might end being one of those Nostalgic mp games everyone mentions when thy think of great mp games and Sony.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This very well might end being one of those Nostalgic mp games everyone mentions when thy think of great mp games and Sony.
Virtually guaranteed at this point. With the constant updates the player count has only gone down from peak by around 40% over the course of a month. I think it has a guaranteed long term playerbase at this point, could see 30-50k steam CCU a year from now which is amazing for a coop pve game.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Virtually guaranteed at this point. With the constant updates the player count has only gone down from peak by around 40% over the course of a month. I think it has a guaranteed long term playerbase at this point, could see 30-50k steam CCU a year from now which is amazing for a coop pve game.
I play this daily even if it's to do one mission and I know tht won't change! Love the gameplay loop and feel.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I play this daily even if it's to do one mission and I know tht won't change! Love the gameplay loop and feel.
Yea i appreciate that the game keeps up the feeling of an actual war campaign too. Pretty cool concept tbh and I really appreciate it bc I can't think of any other live service game that runs things like that.

The game updates are completely diegetic

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes.

We're a lot of people enjoying it a lot, and has a good post launch amount of frequent content and updates plus a lot of cool stuff to unlock, which is resulting into great user retention.

I also think it will one of the few Sony IPs who sold over 20M of a game.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yes.

We're a lot of people enjoying it a lot, and has a good post launch amount of frequent content and updates plus a lot of cool stuff to unlock, which is resulting into great user retention.

Final numbers will be epic!

Reactions: Yurinka

mckmas8808

26 Mar 2024
Yes.

Yeah, it needs to sell 20 million if it even wants to THINK about being on that level first. With 6 million sold in the first month, it just might get there.

mckmas8808

26 Mar 2024
6 million lol, that's an incredible lowball. It's probably 6m on steam alone, it's 10+m overall at this point

I think we've had multiple reports that it's been selling neck and neck the same speed as Spiderman 2. I think it took that game 2 months to sell 10 million. I think the NPD and Chris from the U.K. said that about Helldivers 2 sales speed (digital and physical).

But I wouldn't be shocked if we get an update from Sony when they do their Fiscal Year end statement. I think they will be doing that in 3 or 4 weeks. Something like that. I'd love to see if it hits 10 million by tomorrow or not.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I think we've had multiple reports that it's been selling neck and neck the same speed as Spiderman 2. I think it took that game 2 months to sell 10 million. I think the NPD and Chris from the U.K. said that about Helldivers 2 sales speed (digital and physical).

But I wouldn't be shocked if we get an update from Sony when they do their Fiscal Year end statement. I think they will be doing that in 3 or 4 weeks. Something like that. I'd love to see if it hits 10 million by tomorrow or not.

Yep we’ll definitely get a sales update in the fiscal year end statement.

Sony will want to impress investors.

Reactions: mckmas8808

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I thought the reports were revenue, but i forget

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, it needs to sell 20 million if it even wants to THINK about being on that level first. With 6 million sold in the first month, it just might get there.
Lol, make they did sell way more than 6M in a month. In any case, in that illustration there are many Sony and Nintendo IPs who don't have any game with 20M units sold.

Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Star Fox, Pikmin, Metroid, Xenoblade, GoT, Astro, Bloodborne, Ratchet, Jak & Daxter, Sly, and maybe Uncharted don't have any game with 20M units sold. Same with FFVII unless you count the different edittions/remasters/remakes/spinoffs/etc.

GJscLlNXsAEF1Sj

In fact, Helldivers 2 may be over 15M units sold, which is more than any Astro, Bloodborne, Ratchet, Sly, Jak & Daxter, Star Fox, Pikmin, Metroid, Kirby, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem or Donkey Kong ever sold. Maybe it also even already outsold any Uncharted and GoT titles.

We have to see the real numbers, but Helldivers 2 may be the fastest selling Sony game ever, breaking the records recently set by Spider-Man 2, GoWR and TLOU2.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

Helldivers 2 director's "childhood dream" is for the co-op shooter to join the pantheon of PlayStation's biggest IP: "It's crazy that it might be in the future"​

Helldivers 2, of course, is a PlayStation console exclusive and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future, but its developer, Arrowhead Studios, remains independent. Even so, Pilestedt hopes one day for Helldivers to be considered in the same pantheon of PlayStation brand icons as Uncharted, God of War, and Horizon.

It all started with a very silly tweet proclaiming "the ONLY two REAL gaming brands" to be PlayStation and Nintendo, posted with a split image showing various PlayStation and Nintendo characters side by side. Pilestedt rather amusingly responded asking why the heck Helldivers 2's champions of democracy weren't included in the group of PlayStation heroes, and a fan respectfully and rightfully pointed out: "As much as I love Helldivers, it isn't yet a game to immediately think, 'oh helldivers, f**k yeah PlayStation'. Not yet, but dammit it is getting there."

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Lol, make they did sell way more than 6M in a month. In any case, in that illustration there are many Sony and Nintendo IPs who don't have any game with 20M units sold.

Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Star Fox, Pikmin, Metroid, Xenoblade, GoT, Astro, Bloodborne, Ratchet, Jak & Daxter, Sly, and maybe Uncharted don't have any game with 20M units sold. Same with FFVII unless you count the different edittions/remasters/remakes/spinoffs/etc.

GJscLlNXsAEF1Sj

In fact, Helldivers 2 may be over 15M units sold, which is more than any Astro, Bloodborne, Ratchet, Sly, Jak & Daxter, Star Fox, Pikmin, Metroid, Kirby, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem or Donkey Kong ever sold. Maybe it also even already outsold any Uncharted and GoT titles.

We have to see the real numbers, but Helldivers 2 may be the fastest selling Sony game ever, breaking the records recently set by Spider-Man 2, GoWR and TLOU2.

You have to consider that not only is it multiplatform but its nearly half the price of a normal game.

The story on this game is going to be hard to quantify. Not only is the MSRP significantly lower, but within the next 2-3 years it'll almost certainly go F2P.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You have to consider that not only is it multiplatform but its nearly half the price of a normal game.

The story on this game is going to be hard to quantify. Not only is the MSRP significantly lower, but within the next 2-3 years it'll almost certainly go F2P.
Yes, it's multiplatform day one, which apparently duplied the sales selling the aprox. the same in each platform. Helldivers 1 got released in PS3, PS4, PC, Vita but in the span of a few months, all versions weren't released at the same time.

Regarding the price, Sony released several games at a reduced price. Like Uncharted ladies (the worst selling Uncharted Game) or some Ratchet games. But yes, lower price at launch must have helped.

Reactions: mckmas8808

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If the game can successfully transition into F2P, it definitely has that opportunity. It'll need to really have a lot of success when it comes to transmedia and crossovers: Killzone, Destiny, Starship Troopers, other Sony IP. The game could have a very long road map.

I also think they're missing out by not having a mobile version and mac version.

Eventually the game will hit PS+ for free and eventually it'll hit F2P and they'll have to be able to successfully monetize the game from there.

When you consider how big Fortnite is, is HD2 is going to be even a substantial fraction of that, they'll need to expand and ensure content continues to flow in continuously. Arrowhead can't do that by themselves.

The only way this game can be up there with God of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, is if it reaches a level of success among its peers.
I don't think it needs to be F2P. I think it can have long term success once the initial rush is over with a permanent price drop to $20, there are a LOT of people who will pick it up on impulse at that price. Also let's not kid ourselves, Ghost of Tsushima already got on the PS studios banner with 9m sales. Helldivers is going to be at least that successful.