Helldiver’s 2 Has Lost 90% Of Its Players (Steam)

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t see the comeback coming tbh. And by the time they could have content ready it might be too late as they didn’t have the dev bandwidth in time. This is why Helldivers 3 may be the best course to take but then there’s the engine situation.

40k is low for CCU but it’s not the point of no return. 20k would be.

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
That's what you get for:

- Releasing patches that break more then fixing stuff
- Tiresome repetitive Major Orders
- Not adding anything worthwhile
- Not releasing new enemies

And the devs are on a break now for summer. IF they released a new faction before going on holiday, the numbers would be WAY different.

I stopped playing alltogether. The Dark Fluid MO was the final straw. EVERYONE was thinking bugs gone, Illuminate in.
But nooooooooooo some shitty reason for Bugs coming back stronger then ever. Same with bots. We had to do a major push 2 months back and they DEADASS returned stronger then ever.

This kind of artificial engagement has people turning away and I understand.
It's like we're fighting for nothing at all.

Combine that with caps on medals and requisitions and you now have a stale GaaS title that has fallen flat on it's face. It was inevitable.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
That's what you get for:

- Releasing patches that break more then fixing stuff
- Tiresome repetitive Major Orders
- Not adding anything worthwhile
- Not releasing new enemies

And the devs are on a break now for summer. IF they released a new faction before going on holiday, the numbers would be WAY different.

I stopped playing alltogether. The Dark Fluid MO was the final straw. EVERYONE was thinking bugs gone, Illuminate in.
But nooooooooooo some shitty reason for Bugs coming back stronger then ever. Same with bots. We had to do a major push 2 months back and they DEADASS returned stronger then ever.

This kind of artificial engagement has people turning away and I understand.
It's like we're fighting for nothing at all.

Combine that with caps on medals and requisitions and you now have a stale GaaS title that has fallen flat on it's face. It was inevitable.

The endgame is just unlocks and difficulties and waiting for a new battle pass. That’s not worth it. I dropped it kinda immediately.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
are we seriously discussing a forbes article like paul tassi doesn't have sony haterade for blood?

the agenda to shit on the game is clear.

helldivers is fine, it just needs more content. People will be back and arrowhead is going to support the game for years to come. When illuminate + possible 4th faction are released some people will come back. Long term it has a great chance to average 50k concurrent which is massive for a small studio like arrowhead.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
They might being teasing Illuminate faction for the next 3 years. They have never put a time frame on it.

My concern will always be the longevity of its appeal and absence of endgame. Battle passes aren’t really endgame or ship unlocks using farmed currencies etc…

Nor does their eventual solutions have to be the same as others. Which will do it thru loot, min/max build crafting and endgame dungeons and content to put to use those endgame chases. Or even a good ole fashion narrative to get thru… many ways and I’m not presenting anything here as if it’s what they should do… their game is different … it’s live warfare

A PvP game can mostly pump out cosmetics and sandbox changes…. But it’s also has the competitive nature of player vs player as a hook to keep players returning.

Something out of left field to shake up the maps and sandbox and gameplay itself is probably what’ll do it. Gotta look at Fortnite for this one I’d think.

A comeback is not impossible but it’s becoming less probable the closer it gets to sub 30k ccu to sea of thieves and fallout 76 territory. If it goes to Halo numbers at sub 10k it’s over…

And considering Palworld is having a resurgence after gamers here shit on its own player collapse will put the hypocrites on display.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They might being teasing Illuminate faction for the next 3 years. They have never put a time frame on it.

My concern will always be the longevity of its appeal and absence of endgame. Battle passes aren’t really endgame or ship unlocks using farmed currencies etc…

Nor does their eventual solutions have to be the same as others. Which will do it thru loot, min/max build crafting and endgame dungeons and content to put to use those endgame chases. Or even a good ole fashion narrative to get thru… many ways and I’m not presenting anything here as if it’s what they should do… their game is different … it’s live warfare

A PvP game can mostly pump out cosmetics and sandbox changes…. But it’s also has the competitive nature of player vs player as a hook to keep players returning.

Something out of left field to shake up the maps and sandbox and gameplay itself is probably what’ll do it. Gotta look at Fortnite for this one I’d think.

A comeback is not impossible but it’s becoming less probable the closer it gets to sub 30k ccu to sea of thieves and fallout 76 territory. If it goes to Halo numbers at sub 10k it’s over…

And considering Palworld is having a resurgence after gamers here shit on its own player collapse will put the hypocrites on display.
be honest, do you really think it'll take them 3 years to put illuminate in?

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
be honest, do you really think it'll take them 3 years to put illuminate in?

Considering that they need to have ongoing seasonal content and immediate content drops and quality of life fixes etc… something so major could be very far away. I do not rule it out but I would imagine it would be closer to a year from launch vs immediate future. Well that I think would be the ideal scenario. Arrowhead would have to make a better tease or flat out give a time frame.

Like maybe if Sony threw money for it actually going into service phase? We don’t know much…

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Considering that they need to have ongoing seasonal content and immediate content drops and quality of life fixes etc… something so major could be very far away. I do not rule it out but I would imagine it would be closer to a year from launch vs immediate future. Well that I think would be the ideal scenario. Arrowhead would have to make a better tease or flat out give a time frame.

Like maybe if Sony threw money for it actually going into service phase? We don’t know much…
I think their plans have been delayed by a good while due to the many messes the game has been embroiled in, but I don't see them releasing illuminate later than end of this year.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I think their plans have been delayed by a good while due to the many messes the game has been embroiled in, but I don't see them releasing illuminate later than end of this year.

the perspective I take now is that any plans they once had get sorta massively shaken up once the game goes live for various reasons be it player wants and needs or fixes or whatever.

Ideas on the pipeline could get easily derailed.

They for sure want you to talk about the Illuminate coming but I’m putting no limit on how long they may have players waiting. There may be other major things planned for the game and its sandbox ahead of this.

I’m not banking on illuminate factions being the long term solution to player engagement but maybe what they do to deepen the cyclical game for hardcore players leading to this even. Who knows really till it happens.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Month to month is where steamcharts is a better than steamdb. Steamdb is quicker with updates being refreshed like every 15 mins or so.

IMG-0337.jpg

For the last 30 days Helldivers avgs 41k for peak avg ccu. This is with seasonal battle pass and cosmetic drops.

This shows us that the current seasonal model thru warbonds is not retaining player engagement.

Reactions: mckmas8808

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Month to month is where steamcharts is a better than steamdb. Steamdb is quicker with updates being refreshed like every 15 mins or so.

IMG-0337.jpg

For the last 30 days Helldivers avgs 41k for peak avg ccu. This is with seasonal battle pass and cosmetic drops.

This shows us that the current seasonal model thru warbonds is not retaining player engagement.

What’s the difference between this and Destiny 2?

Nothing.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What’s the difference between this and Destiny 2?

Nothing.
These are the kinds of numbers Destiny does at its historically very worst when the internet thinks it’s dead. Difference is 5 platforms vs 2.

The launch Steam CCU peak of Destiny 2 was 292513 CCU, 4 months and a half after launch was at 92188 CCU (31.52% of the peak), but a few days before was down to 60484 CCU (20.68% of the peak).

image.png

image.png

Helldivers 2 had a launch Steam CCU peak of 458709 CCU, way bigger than the D2 one. 4 months and a half after launch was at 58644 CCU (12.78% of the launch peak) and a few days before had a peak of 91692 CCU (19.99% of the launch peak).

image.png

image.png

Destiny 2 is one of the greatest shooter GaaS of all times, and Helldivers 2 had a better launch on Steam regarding CCUs.

Around 4 months and a half after launch both had a relatively similar concurrent userbase peaks of around 60-90K CCU. Meaning, Helldivers 2 did lose a bit more of the peak but have a relatively similar active userbase than Destiny 2 at aprox. that point, so they don't have to worry about it at all, they are more than fine.

Performing at relatively similar or slightly lower than one of the most successful games in the genre it's something to celebrate, specially when it's the first AAA of the lead dev team.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
The launch Steam CCU peak of Destiny 2 was 292513 CCU, 4 months and a half after launch was at 92188 CCU (31.52% of the peak), but a few days before was down to 60484 CCU (20.68% of the peak).

image.png

image.png

Helldivers 2 had a launch Steam CCU peak of 458709 CCU, way bigger than the D2 one. 4 months and a half after launch was at 58644 CCU (12.78% of the launch peak) and a few days before had a peak of 91692 CCU (19.99% of the launch peak).

image.png

image.png

Destiny 2 is one of the greatest shooter GaaS of all times, and Helldivers 2 had a better launch on Steam regarding CCUs.

Around 4 months and a half after launch both had a relatively similar concurrent userbase peaks of around 60-90K CCU. Meaning, Helldivers 2 did lose a bit more of the peak but have a relatively similar active userbase than Destiny 2 at aprox. that point, so they don't have to worry about it at all, they are more than fine.

Performing at relatively similar or slightly lower than one of the most successful games in the genre it's something to celebrate, specially when it's the first AAA of the lead dev team.

Destiny 2’s Steam launch was not the game’s launch proper. It was two years later on steam with Shadowkeep and the free to start version. Original pc launch was on Activision’s launcher a few months after console release. D2 sales where at 16 million by the time they made the a la carte free launcher.

You also have to consider that there’s 5 platforms of distribution and 3 pc launchers supported. When D2 is “in trouble” it’s when it hits 40k avg hourly ccu per day for the month. That’s not including the cumulative total across all platforms. ( troublesome number is when the game is at under 600k logins a day).

I would estimate somewhere about 150 - 200k daily logins for helldivers 2 across both platforms available. Destiny 2 is closer to one million at the moment according to api trackers.

The game is in service phase now and player retention from warbond drop to the next should be noted.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This is not true at all. In the last 30 days, around 41K was the lowest daily peak of the period, not the average.

The highest daily peak in this period was 90K+ on June 14th, day after the last warbond was released. Something normal in GaaS.

The average should be somewhere between 40K and 90K, not in the bottom.

image.png

I wouldn’t estimate somewhere about 120k daily logins for helldivers 2 across both consoles at currently. Destiny 2 is closer to one million at the moment according to api trackers.
The Bungie API doesn't allow to track the active userbase of the game at all.

If there's a fansite that uses the API and some users use that website (in this case a tracker), it brings the API provides data of these website users. Which should be maximum a few thousands. Then who runs the tracker make their personal guess out of their ass.

When Steam says that a game had a 45.3K "24-hour CCU peak" means that the moment of that day when the biggest amount of players were playing at the same time during that day was that amount. But obviously there's a ton of players who also played that day but weren't connected at that peak moment, meaning the DAU is way bigger than the CCU daily peak. And that's just Steam, doesn't include PS, which should have relatively similar numbers.

Did Arrowhead release any new maps and factions or were they too busy badmouthing Sony for the PSN thing?
Arrowhead released:
  • New maps (each new planet is procedurally generated)
  • New biomes
  • New atmospherical conditions
  • Several types of environmental damage (from meteors to fire tornados, etc)
  • Several new mission types
  • New enemy types for both factions
  • New primary weapons and primary weapon types
  • New secondary weapons and secondary weapon types
  • New grenades/trowables and grenade/throwable weapon types
  • New stratagems and stratagem types
  • Two mechs types
  • New character skins (armor, helmet, capes)
  • First Pelican/hellpod/mech skin
  • New ship upgrades
  • Tons of fixes, improvements and rebalancing
And more stuff I may forget. There are leaks of the 3rd faction, which has been hinted multiple times in the game, in addition of more things like new types of vehicles.

Last edited: