Helldiver’s 2 Has Lost 90% Of Its Players (Steam)

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This is not true at all. In the last 30 days, around 41K was the lowest daily peak of the period, not the average.

The highest daily peak in this period was 90K+ on June 14th, day after the last warbond was released. Something normal in GaaS.

The average should be somewhere between 40K and 90K, not in the bottom.

image.png

It’s very true. It peaks but holds that peak for less time month to month. Steamchart’s monthly avg’s is daily hourly current and not just recording peak for the day. It hasn’t peaked above 70k in two weeks and 90k when the last content drop happened for one day.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It’s very true. It peaks but holds that peak for less time month to month. Steamchart’s monthly avg’s is daily hourly current and not just recording peak for the day. It hasn’t peaked above 70k in two weeks and 90k when the last content drop happened for one day.
Ah, hourly. Yes, if it takes the CCU hourly and makes the average of the whole month yes, in the last 30 days it matches with the 40K+CCU average.

In the other post I understood it was the average of the daily peaks, which was what I was looking at.

As usual in GaaS the next peak will be when they release the next big update, pretty likely the day/weekend after of when they release the next warbond (2nd Thursday of every month), so the peak for this month pretty likely will be June 12th-13th.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Ah, hourly. Yes, if it takes the CCU hourly and makes the average of the whole month yes, in the last 30 days it matches with the 40K+CCU average.

In the other post I understood it was the average of the daily peaks, which was what I was looking at.

As usual in GaaS the next peak will be when they release the next big update, pretty likely the day/weekend after of when they release the next warbond (2nd Thursday of every month), so the peak for this month pretty likely will be June 12th-13th.

Right. This is where steamcharts is a bit better than steamdb. It would be nice if their graphs could line up launches because you’re able to compare games to each other. I’d be interested in charting TFS 3 month launch window to others etc. across steam. Not a complete picture but it’s something… (I fussed with the zoom for example purposes so it can bork the graphs a bit).

IMG-0340.jpg

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Right. This is where steamcharts is a bit better than steamdb. It would be nice if their graphs could line up launches because you’re able to compare games to each other. I’d be interested in charting TFS 3 month launch window to others etc. across steam. Not a complete picture but it’s something… (I fussed with the zoom for example purposes so it can bork the graphs a bit).

IMG-0340.jpg
Well, something you can do is to copy paste that Steamcharts months table of the peaks or averages on a Google Sheet/Excel for every game for its first X months (not including the "last 30 days" and cutting by the first month not listed by one of the compared games, invert the order and make the chart. The result would be this:

image.png

image.png

The problem here is that in the first month the average will highly vary depending on if the game only includes a few days (typically its launch peak) because it was released at the end of the month, compared to the case of a game released at the start of the month because pretty likely its average will be lowered by many days of post peak way lower numbers.

Same goes with the month 1 vs month 2 drop, will depend if released at the start or the end of the first month.

Doing both hourly, daily or monthly CCU averages or peaks will also provide very different peaks or averages in the case when the game/genre has its playerbase focused on a timezone (example: shooters are specially popular in USA) versus games/genre who have their fanbase spread equally around the world. Even if in both cases they have the same DAU.

For this and other reasons companies use CCU only for server load related stuff, and to measure the active userbase and retention use instead metrics like DAU, WAU or MAU, plus retention metrics (as could be D1, D3, D7, D14, D30, D60, D90, D180).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

26 Mar 2024
Paul Tassi is such a piece of shit journalist. He knows how live service games work, but ignores that to drum up doom & gloom.

I'd love to tear his putrid credibility to shreds in an actual gaming debate, but he doesn't have the courage to step outside of his echo chamber.

So glad I read from you that this is a Paul Tassi article. I hate that man.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

IMG-0340.jpg

It's really interesting that we're comparing Helldivers 2 to Destiny 2, considering:

Captura de ecrã 2024-07-01 204725.png Captura de ecrã 2024-07-01 204640.png

Also:

lqz7e042xx9d1.jpeg

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Losing 90% daily CCU peak (which is not its player base) after 5 months is better than most games including live service ones, see some random examples here.

50K people playing it daily would be 50K DAU (daily active users, people who played at any point of the day).

50K CCU is a different metric, it means concurrent users (people playing at the same time).

Meaning, if the game has 50K CCU on the point of the day where they had the maximum amount of players playing at the same time during that day, maybe the game has 100K DAU or more because there are many players who also played that day but weren't connected at the moment of the CCU peak for that day.

We also have to count the players that aren't on Steam. Meaning, pretty likely the game has over 200K playing everyday counting all platforms. This is a lot of people and yes, they mentioned that the game is more successful than both Sony and Arrowhead expected.
Fifa will lose cou t as players move to next game which comes every 12 months ( same for COD) . GTAV is not good comparison as most of the count is gonne after most players finish singleplayer story (also 13% of GTAV is still likely a huge number). Going by your list Helldivers 2 isn't doing well as live service. The game still sold 12 million at $40 and made huge money. The developer can comfortably move on to their next game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's really interesting that we're comparing Helldivers 2 to Destiny 2, considering:

View attachment 5308 View attachment 5309

Also:

lqz7e042xx9d1.jpeg
Arrowhead is a developer, Bungie a publisher.

Arrowhead right now only supports Helldivers 2, a game where they only provided like around 10% of the staff working on it and it's a project with a smaller scope than Bungie's ones. The rest being Sony staff or outsourcing teams paid and managed by Sony.

In addition to support Destiny 2 Bungie is working on minimum 3 AAA games more, the next one being released next year plus cinema/tv show adaptations.

Fifa will lose cou t as players move to next game which comes every 12 months ( same for COD) . GTAV is not good comparison as most of the count is gonne after most players finish singleplayer story (also 13% of GTAV is still likely a huge number). Going by your list Helldivers 2 isn't doing well as live service. The game still sold 12 million at $40 and made huge money. The developer can comfortably move on to their next game.
FIFA, CoD or GTA are some of the most successful games in general, and GaaS in particular even if they have yearly release. GTAV in particular is the most successful game in gaming history and if continues selling a lot it's due to GTA Online. Even if yes, many people only played SP.

I just dropped there some random examples there to highlight that to lose 90% of the daily CCU peaks after these months doesn't mean a shit, and also that some of the most successful games in the market had similar or even worse numbers in that made up useless metric. I could add a gazillion more performing under the Helldivers 2 number.

Numbers that btw aren't bad at all: they are very good. Specially because they didn't stop selling the game when they announced the 12M figure, it will continue selling during years. And until now, and during all these years won't only sell the game: it will also sell addons like the warbonds and so on.

• fire
Reactions: Muddasar