Helldivers 2 passed Destiny 2 all time CCU count. Top Seller all around on Steam |UP|Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 to Reclaim #1 spot on Steam.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Ronin definitely needs more resources in cinematics, voice acting, etc… it has hand made worlds whereas helldivers is a procedural maps. It’s almost certainly more expensive to make. (Also why suicide won’t make service aspirations since the kind of content they want to make is unrealistically expensive lols).

I’m not here to determine prices at all. You cannot price on quality since it’s subjective and all devs working on it earned their wages and salairies even it’s a 55 meta. I’m fine with $70. All costs in life are up. I remember $95 n64 carts. Just sayin…

Just saying… Ronin is likely far more expensive to … launch.

Helldivers operation costs moving forward will eclipse their entire 8 year dev time in like a year lol.

Reactions: ApolloHelios

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
And all I said is dynamic pricing is a good thing and Ronin being $60 would help it's case and further it's reach. Literally don't get what the issue here is at all. 🤨

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I told yall doubters.
Over 5 million in a month is crazy. It's definitely gonna pass 10 - 12 million this year if Arrowhead can produce quality content drop. Resounding success.

Helldivers 2 should be over 5M only in Steam, the user reviews x 25 estimation method gives around 6.5M copies sold in Steam.
It should be at over 10M copies. Their CEO posted an emoji with a finger pointing up when someone mentioned it had sold alsmost 3M in PC when that Steam estimation was a bit above 3M.

No need to be an insider to know that. Also, very little people has access to daily updated game specific internal Sony game sales numbers.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Helldivers 2 should be over 5M only in Steam, the user reviews x 25 estimation method gives around 6.5M copies sold in Steam.
It should be at over 10M copies.
Yeah well until we get figures I'll just say over 5 million. If its crossed 10 million I don't think Sony would be holding back this data.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah well until we get figures I'll just say over 5 million. If its crossed 10 million I don't think Sony would be holding back this data.
There are several reasons of why they may want to save it for later:

They just fired 900 people and apparently cancelled or moved away the Deviation game, causing the studio to shut down, and internally they also did shut down internally London Studio. It isn't a moment for celebrations.

Also, they may have decided to wait to share the numbers maybe to mention how much it sold on its first month, or maybe to include it in the fiscal report to compensate some bad new like not having achieved their PS5 units sold for the FY.

Or maybe they are working on the acquisition and have it almost done, and prefer to announce it there at the same time they announce the acquisition.

Way more than 5 millions!? This game, considering it must have had a moderate to low budget, must be of the most important games for PlayStation in recent history.
Not only recent.

As a reference, Spider-Man 2 needed 4 months to sell 10M. GoWR sold 15M in a year. Both broke the record of the two fastest selling PS exclusives ever.

Helldivers 2 apparently sold over 10M in under a month, obviously releasing it in PC day one and having a $40 price did help. But both things wouldn't help if the game would be a turd, this huge success is mostly due to its quality and virality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I agree. Even if they were 20 X cheaper two months ago, it's still better for both parties if they agree now to a price

I am reminded of Bungie selling themselves before Halo came out and regretting it

Sony's organic acquisition strategy is the only one proven to work. They invest in a studio, build them up and then buy them when they are a proven success story

There were points in time that companies like Quantic Dream, That Game Company, Supermassive Games, Ninja Theory, Ready at Dawn and Deviation Games would have seemed logical purchases too. Better to buy when you've built something great together and there is a clear future that can be built by acquiring
Absolutely. Stability is a huge talking point for many of these acquisitions but damn thts been bs alot of times with layoffs or reductions happening after. It's a gamble that sometimes pays off.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
There are several reasons of why the would want to save it for later.

They just fired 900 people and apparently cancelled or moved away the Deviation game, it isn't a moment for celebrations. Also, they may have decided to wait to share the numbers maybe to mention how much it sold on its first month, or maybe to include it in the fiscal report to compensate some bad new like not having achieved their PS5 units sold for the FY, or maybe they are working on the acquisition and have it almost done, and prefer to announce it there.
But wouldn't announcing it now negate the bad news cycle currently? Either way I just don't see Sony sitting on 10+ million sold in a month especially when they've only had two 10 million sellers all generation.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
But wouldn't announcing it now negate the bad news cycle currently? Either way I just don't see Sony sitting on 10+ million sold in a month especially when they've only had two 10 million sellers all generation.

Reaction to positive PR right after bad PR is often seen as a way to divert attention from the negative attention by the masses even if this wasn't planned that way. But I personally don't think this is the reason for no milestone announcement.

As a reference, Spider-Man 2 needed 4 months to sell 10M. GoWR sold 15M in a year. Both broke the record of the two fastest selling PS exclusives ever.

GoW:R sold 11 millions in 10 weeks is still the record for a PS title.
That was revealed in their financial earnings report in February 2023 as part of the quartely earnings report ending December 31st 2022, although they gave the data for GoW:R all the way up to mid-January in order to brag about that number.

We might simply have to wait until it breaks that record and/or have to wait until the last quarterly report of the Fiscal Year.
That's usually late April/Early May for Sony IIRC.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The lowest CCU point today had a nice improvement versus the rest of the week. Seems HD2 may get another Steam CCU peak of around aprox. 450K, meaning reaching the 900K CCU limit again unless they increased it (I wouldn't bet on it).

image.png

Reaction to positive PR right after bad PR is often seen as a way to divert attention from the negative attention by the masses even if this wasn't planned that way. But I personally don't think this is the reason for no milestone announcement.
We might simply have to wait until it breaks that record and/or have to wait until the last quarterly report of the Fiscal Year.
That's usually late April/Early May for Sony IIRC.

Good news are positive but will help them more later when announcing the fiscal year report in May, and most of the bad news weren't their fault:

Last quarter they posted great numbers, including records almost everywhere as usual, even if didn't achieve their PS5 units sales target. Profit wasn't one of them, was lower than expected, mostly due to external things they can't control and that pretty likely will go worse during the mid term.

Things like inflation, gaming market revenue getting flat instead of growing as it has been making during almost every year during its 50 years of history, partly due to the post covid crysis but also because the western financial system has been bubble that is starting to explode. Plus having a war against Russia where USA/NATO blocked the businesses with such huge market, highly damaging the economy of such western (including Japan/Sony) countries and companies. A crysis that can go way worse if USA/NATO later attacks Russia causing a nuclear WWIII, or expanding the war attaching/blocking China with the excuse of Taiwan (the real reason is that USA is losing the worldwide hegemony against the BRICS and don't want to allow a multipolar world). That would fuck things even more.

So as a result, investors move away their investments, not only from Sony or gaming, but in general. And in the particular case of gaming, tech investors see that gaming has been flat during a couple years, not growing anymore as did in the past, so they are moving their investments instead to AI because it's growing a lot.

So gaming companies like Sony, even if posting great numbers, have to overcome all this trying to push their profitability to be more appealing to investors and to save money just in case in the near future things go way worse. Also, have to face the fact that AAA games become way more expensive every generation but the gaming market stoppped its growth, which means they are fucked in the mid/long term if they don't find additional revenue sources and reduce costs.

This means that even if Sony posted great numbers, had to cut some projects, reduce costs where possible like firing a portion of their workforce to cut some fat. In the last 5 years SIE grew to have like maybe 3-4 times the amount of people they had before, and now had to fire around 8% of their workforce.

Sony and many other companies saw this coming. And this is why SIE/Jim Ryan wisely expanded their business to GaaS, PC, movies/tv shows and soon with the next CEO, mobile gaming. Markets that help them reach new users and fans to grow their IPs but more importantly their revenue and profitability.

In the fiscal year report of May, pretty likely they'll update the numbers on these strategies, which already were great (excluding mobile, they still didn't start to releasing their mobile efforts) and Helldivers 2 is going to be a major success in GaaS (after MLB, GT or Destiny) and PC (after being already generating hundreds of millions in profit per year with a huge yearly growth).

Pretty likely the numbers of the report will show that Sony had to do such effort to control their profitability but that their GaaS and PC initiatives are working very well and show promising results both for the future of Helldivers 2 (insane user retention, inverted sales curve during first weeks) and their PC and GaaS initiatives.

Another thing that is affecting their profitability are costs related to recent acquisitions, so investors would prefer to don't make more acquisitions now because they'd put even more related costs on top. They'd prefer to instead wait some time until they already paid the costs of the previous ones and these previous ones start to pay off (as will be releasing the first game of Firewalk and Bungie as Sony companies).

So if Sony wants to announce Arrowhead acquisition now, they'll have to justify it very well with these numbers to the investors, being the Helldivers 2 sales just one of them. So I assume that they may lock the acquisition but won't announce it until next year having released Concord and Marathon and hopefully having improved their profitability and having paid the cost relaated to all previous acquisitions.

GoW:R sold 11 millions in 10 weeks is still the record for a PS title.
That was revealed in their financial earnings report in February 2023 as part of the quartely earnings report ending December 31st 2022, although they gave the data for GoW:R all the way up to mid-January in order to brag about that number.

True, thanks for sharing. I only did a quick search before and found the 15M one but not the 11M one, which definetively is better for the comparision.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
The lowest CCU point today had a nice improvement versus the rest of the week. Seems HD2 may get another Steam CCU peak of around aprox. 450K, meaning reaching the 900K CCU limit again unless they increased it (I wouldn't bet on it).

Yeah, we have not heard any more backend improvements that would translate into a potential CCU raise, which is a bit unfortunate because if sales trend are to be believed, PS5 may be gaining in player percentage compared to PC.

Which means there's potentially less room for the Steam CCU to grow past its current record even if there was the potential for it due to returning players.
Something that will probably be an even bigger issue(?) next weekend as the next Warbond update drops on the 14th of March.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah, we have not heard any more backend improvements that would translate into a potential CCU raise, which is a bit unfortunate because if sales trend are to be believed, PS5 may be gaining in player percentage compared to PC.

Which means there's potentially less room for the Steam CCU to grow past its current record even if there was the potential for it due to returning players.
Something that will probably be an even bigger issue(?) next weekend as the next Warbond update drops on the 14th of March.
Next week exactly we will have a clear picture I think of how high it can go if higher at all.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

They have been busy working on many things after launch, they released and fixed a lot of stuff.

Other than the servers farting when they added the mechs, things seem pretty ok again. If they see that they reach or get very close to the 900K CCU limit, they'll increase it again to maybe 1M.

Which may mean that other things may break / get saturated at that level so would need further changes, optimizations and improvements.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They have been busy working on many things after launch, they released and fixed a lot of stuff.

Other than the servers farting when they added the mechs, things seem pretty ok again. If they see that they reach or get very close to the 900K CCU limit, they'll increase it again to maybe 1M.

Which may mean that other things may break / get saturated at that level so would need further changes, optimizations and improvements.
Thank you Yurinka for your analysis.

Reactions: Entropi