Helldivers 2 will require Steam players to sign in with PSN account, led to review bombing games & refunds. |UP| Gamers organizing to revert reviews.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
From a different point of view, PlayStation is extremely lucky to have found its live service hit, and it could ruin it (on PC) by not requiring PSN sign-in from the beginning.

However, other publishers do the same on Steam, like MS. Was there drama around MS for this too?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
To create an account and link it takes a minute and doesn't change the game experience at all: doesn't require you to open an external launcher, doesn't require you to login again, nothing.

And obviously nobody in Sony is going to be travelling to the home of the many dozens of millions of PSN users to verify if that person is real and lives there. Sony only would care about verifying the data maybe in case you make a purchase with a stolen credit card or something like that and they have to report it to the police (but in that case I assume they'd send them the IP and date and time the transaction was made).
1. While creating an account is easy, it's inconvenient and is forced on people AFTER they paid for the game. That's grounds for a lawsuit if Steam doesn't refund.

2. As I said, there are hundreds of thousands of people with these fake accounts, even in countries that are supported by PSN. Most do it to get games cheaper from other regions. And the vast majority of these accounts are fine and will be fine. But the risk is till there. You have no official PSN support, can;t report people because your account will get looked at as well and if you're reported and support takes a closer look, bye bye.

Reactions: xollowsob

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
1. While creating an account is easy, it's inconvenient and is forced on people AFTER they paid for the game. That's grounds for a lawsuit if Steam doesn't refund.

2. As I said, there are hundreds of thousands of people with these fake accounts, even in countries that are supported by PSN. Most do it to get games cheaper from other regions. And the vast majority of these accounts are fine and will be fine. But the risk is till there. You have no official PSN support, can;t report people because your account will get looked at as well and if you're reported and support takes a closer look, bye bye.
To be a whiny, entitled, childish user or to have to take a minute to create a free account and link it are not reasons to get a refund and even less for a lawsuit.

Regarding user reporting, in the game it's automated in a Helldivers 2 in-game menu option. Regarding PSN support, recently my PS5 had a tech issue while under warranty and the support was mostly done via chatbots until I figured out a somewhat hidden way to contact a human agent (the support phone that appears in the console's warranty booklet for my country didn't work) because it wasn't a random little thing.

So things like maybe reporting another users outside a game (I never did this), I assume would be done via the chatbots in their PSN support page. Who obviously won't care if your name, birthdate and city entered there is real or not.

From a different point of view, PlayStation is extremely lucky to have found its live service hit, and it could ruin it (on PC) by not requiring PSN sign-in from the beginning.
Sony also has Destiny 2, GT7 and MLB, it isn't their first live service hit.

Regarding the requirement it was technically there since the begginning, the difference was that until now they allowed you to play without linking an account, so in practice wasn't mandatory (until now).

Last edited:

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Steam players are the biggest cry baby's ever most of them are signed into their Microsoft accounts on windows & signed into their steam accounts but god forbid they have a playstation account the horror

PSN is not available in a ton of regions. If you play Helldivers 2 on Steam and you live in a country that doesn't support PSN accounts, you are locked out of the game.

I think Steam is available in like 200 regions and PSN is in 74 regions or something like that.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
For example, unless Sony/Arrowhead comes up with an easy solution, people in the Philippines can't play the game anymore, rendering their purchase as useless.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
It's funny how they're all so concerned about Sony 'collecting data' like bruh Microsoft & apple are collecting your data , valve is collecting your data , twatter is collecting your data 🤣
At this point google knows you better than your own mother for 99% of the population, data privacy ship has sailed a long time ago, they should have made a hue and cry about 15 years back

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
this should be mandatory to all PlayStation games on Steam including the singleplayer ones since Sony started this move, they're not doing charity here, the whole point of porting these games to PC is growing the PlayStation userbase by expanding beyond the console to get more Monthly Active Users, want to play PlayStation games? create a PlayStation Account, that's the bare minimum, if you don't want it, then don't buy these games, they also need to start adding Denuvo to the singleplayer games, they've been pirated within seconds of release on PC, this damages PlayStation game sales

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PSN is not available in a ton of regions. If you play Helldivers 2 on Steam and you live in a country that doesn't support PSN accounts, you are locked out of the game.

I think Steam is available in like 200 regions and PSN is in 74 regions or something like that.
You can just choose any random country, it's not region-locked. PC gamers are the dumbest people on earth after the xbots lmao 🤣

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Good find, if true. I'm all for criticism but let's see if this gains any traction.

The game not asking Steam users to link to PSN from the start was a huge mistake. Even if I think this is not a big deal, PC players are very delicate and vulnerable to situations like this.