Helldivers II best-selling premium game of 2024 year-to-date after placing 2nd in March. Ranks 7th in lifetime US. PC/Console both successful.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
it is all belongs to Playstation. how do you think they manage to survive 8+ years?

Yeah, it's a stark contrast to how MS runs their business. The first HD didn't set the world on fire; hell, it was probably a low performer, but Sony saw the potential and gave them the time and money. 8 years later, HD2 is a huge success.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, it's a stark contrast to how MS runs their business. The first HD didn't set the world on fire; hell, it was probably a low performer, but Sony saw the potential and gave them the time and money. 8 years later, HD2 is a huge success.
imagine 8+ years of support, cared for hundreds of devs and here we got CM who shit on PS and also CEO is so fucking Phony.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's not impossible at all.

The game ranks top 7 in sony's history for us games published in just 2 months. With few exception most of Sony's successful game publications come through US + Europe.

We're looking at some combination of the following

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man Miles Morales
God of War
God of War Ragnarok
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gran Turismo 7
Uncharted 4
The Last of Us Remastered
The Last of Us Part 2
Ghost of Tsushima

We know that many of these games hit 15+ million worldwide, again with the focus being NA + Europe.

To be 7th on this list and have a lower price than all of these games at launch, this game has to be over 13 million units sold in just 2 months and probably closer to 15 million minimum.

To do this in just 2 months, Helldivers 2 will almost certainly become the most successful Sony game of all time, which is why Sony was quick to cave to PC gamers. There are definitely a lot of factors involved in determining how it stands in terms of profitability. As has been discussed, you have to account for steam royalties, but you also have to account for the developer's cut. Sony owns the IP for Helldivers, so it might be more than a normal publisher/developer ratio.

But given that at least 2 games in that top 7 are non Sony IP, Sony has to be over the moon about this.

Sony and Arrowhead should be focused on getting Helldivers 2 on as many devices as they can. It is not an exaggeration to say that this game might be bigger than SIE itself. The revenue and more importantly the profit this game can generate if it was on Mac, iOS, Android, Switch, and even Xbox is massive. When the game becomes F2P, it could end up as big as any of the other massive games on the market like Minecraft and Fortnite.
Out of these games, only GT7 is GaaS. Helldivers 2 has a lower price but is GaaS and we don't know the LTV of the game (average of the total amount of money paid by player including both the game purchase and all IAP / warbonds / supercitizen editions). I assume that until now the LTV should be maybe around $50, $60 if extremely lucky.

But at the same time, those games who sold over 15M I'm pretty sure that sold like half of their copies for under $50 bucks during discounts, in bundles, etc. So I think regarding average spent per copy may be pretty similar.

While it's true that Sony's game sales traditionally focus on NA+EU, the split heavily changes depending on the speficic game or genre. In this case, being a multiplayer shooter pretty likely sold more in USA.

The EU and NA tastes are different, but not much. So yes, being top 7 means it must have sold over 15M. It should be somewhere 15-22M, I'd bet almost or around 20M units sold. Something compatible with the PC user reviews.

But again, many of the mentioned variables have a big margin error. So could be way more or way less than this.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Out of these games, only GT7 is GaaS. Helldivers 2 has a lower price but is GaaS and we don't know the LTV of the game (average of the total amount of money paid by player including both the game purchase and all IAP / warbonds / supercitizen editions). I assume that until now the LTV should be maybe around $50, $60 if extremely lucky.

But at the same time, those games who sold over 15M I'm pretty sure that sold like half of their copies for under $50 bucks during discounts, in bundles, etc. So I think regarding average spent per copy may be pretty similar.

While it's true that Sony's game sales traditionally focus on NA+EU, the split heavily changes depending on the speficic game or genre. In this case, being a multiplayer shooter pretty likely sold more in USA.

The EU and NA tastes are different, but not much. So yes, being top 7 means it must have sold over 15M. It may be somewhere 15-20M, I'd bet close or around 20M units sold.

Helldivers has charted well in every European chart we've seen including the PS Store charting... At least try man...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Helldivers 1 got 81-83 MC (which is very good for a low budget 2nd party game), and as you mention Sony saw potential to fund a AAA next gen PS5+PC GaaS sequel from there.

I assume HD1 sales must have been really good for a project of that scale, because if not the bet for the sequel would have been very brave and bold.

Helldivers has charted well in every European chart we've seen including the PS Store charting... At least try man...
And? I didn't say the opposite.

Reactions: Entropi

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Helldivers 1 got 81-83 MC (which is very good for a low budget 2nd party game), and as you mention Sony saw potential to fund a AAA next gen PS5+PC GaaS sequel from there.

I assume HD1 sales must have been really good for a project of that scale, because if not the bet for the sequel would have been very brave and bold.

You're assuming that sales were what convinced Sony of the potential and that isn't necessarily the case.

Look at Sony's relationship with Housemarque for example.

But if it was about sales alone, Sony would have bought quantic dream.

Sony gets a lot of flack for their focus on big budget games, but they've created a lot of opportunities for small developers.

And? I didn't say the opposite.

You're trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You're assuming that sales were what convinced Sony of the potential and that isn't necessarily the case.

Look at Sony's relationship with Housemarque for example.

But if it was about sales alone, Sony would have bought quantic dream.

Sony gets a lot of flack for their focus on big budget games, but they've created a lot of opportunities for small developers.
Sony obviously was also happy with Housemarque sales, if not they wouldn't have paid them a AAA game and wouldn't have acquired them.

Being happy with the sales of a game doesn't mean that the game sells something crazy like 20M. It means they achieved what Sony estimated for that project of that scale. In this case something relatively small and cheap projects to cover some niches. So for Sony, gettting a profitable project with good quality that covers that niche it would be great for them. Specially if they -unlike other partners- achieve that always or almost always.

Maybe a launch PS4 game with Rezogun, or an early next gen exclusive with Returnal. Or to showcase 3DTV or PSVR with Super Stardust. Or simply something to cover dual analog shooter or arcade niches.

For these things pretty likely Sony only needed low sales, and achieving it with profitable projects that maybe exceeded their estimates in terms of quality and or sales in multiple projects would be enough to trry with a bigger project.

In this case that bet was worth it in both cases, Helldivers 2 is an insane success and they got happy enough with Returnal to acquire the studio.

Regarding acquisitions, both side have to agree, and not everything are sales. Quantic Dreams wanted to self publish and move to multiplatform, so their plains back then didn't match with selling to Sony. Back then they also had that controversy, so maybe Sony didn't want to work with them at least for a while, and even less to acquire them.

You're trying to have your cake and eat it too.
I don't get what do you mean. Not sure if it's because English is my 3rd language or because you're smoking something.

Last edited:

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
They are not irrelevant, they are all costs substracted from the money paid for the game or addon. And yes, in case of licensed games like Spider-Man or MLB obviously there's a cut for the licensor in all platforms too.

As I mentioned we saw both in leaked Insomniac docs and also from public fiscal reports what average game revenue remained per copy for the Sony teams after all these costs and external cuts for many games, some of them PS version only and in other cases only the PC port.

As I mentioned is pretty similar in both platforms, something they can adjust with the pricing and discounts.

And that is for revenue. Regarding profitability, the old ports even if obviously generate less interest and revunue than a day one release, they have a way bigger profitability/ROI than a new release, because in case of a day one release the development cost to recoup is the development of the full game (a handful hundreds of millions) while in a port is only the cost of the port (a couple millions), so even their ports that had smallest sales on their first months/years became profitable. While some games that were only released on console weren't profitable.
As I said, the extra costs are split between the PC and PS communities, as they both share the same game server

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As I said, the extra costs are split between the PC and PS communities, as they both share the same game server
Well, let's clarify something: the budgets, revenues, costs, profits of these things inside companies go per project.

For them, if they make a project like Helldivers 2 that is thought as a multiplatform game, budgeting both versions etc then the revenue, costs (or profitability) or income are counted for both versions, because this is what it wad budgeted for the project. In case of game server costs for a crossplay MP game they are also shared.

A different case are the late SP (or MP without crossplay) game ports: in that case there is a project, in Sony's case games originally made for PS only with its own budget, costs and income. In this case only of the PS version.

And then, years later, there's a separate project which is the SP (or MP without crossplay) game port: with its own budget, costs and income, the PC version ones. In this specific case, the development of the original game, the PS store costs, PS physical edition costs etc are ignored because aren't of this project, are of the other one.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I don't get what do you mean. Not sure if it's because English is my 3rd language or because you're smoking something.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

On one hand you're hedging that Helldivers 2 is selling less in Europe (with no evidence) before conceding that it is likely doing well, and the evidence we ACTUALLY have that you're ignoring is that it is in fact doing very well.

We don't have as specific a benchmark as we have in the US, but it's been on top of charts in Europe since release and might even be performing better in Europe than in the US.

You come to the conclusion that Helldivers 2 is probably above 15 million units sold worldwide, but how you got to the answer was murky.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
On one hand you're hedging that Helldivers 2 is selling less in Europe (with no evidence)
I never said Helldivers 2 is selling less in Europe, because we don't have data to compare.

we ACTUALLY have that you're ignoring is that it is in fact doing very well.
I never said Helldivers 2 isn't doing very well in Europe or ignored sales rankings.

But now you're mentioning it, in Spain and Italy (4th and 5th biggest countries in Europe weren't in the top 10 for all platforms, but are in the top 10 for PS5). In any case, it isn't that important because even if they are 4th and 5th biggest European countries they represent a small portion of global revenue (under 2%) and also a small portion of European sales. UK, Germany and France represent a way bigger percent of EU and worldwide sales, so they are more representative countries for EU, and there Helldivers 2 had a top position.

And well, I think the PSN EU ranking is even more reprentative than any national EU ranking, and Helldivers 2 was top 1 for February and March (and pretty likely will for April too, which I think still isn't available).

We don't have as specific a benchmark as we have in the US, but it's been on top of charts in Europe since release and might even be performing better in Europe than in the US.
We don't know if it's selling more in USA or in Europe because there are not oficial region specific sales numbers. But we know it's performing very well on both sides because it's top 1 in PSN stores of NA and EU for February and March, and we know globally the digital sales or PS are a huge portion of the total.

You come to the conclusion that Helldivers 2 is probably above 15 million units sold worldwide, but how you got to the answer was murky.
I don't came to any conclusion, as I said we don't have enough data to make a proper estimation.

But my personal guess with the data we have is that they may be above 15M, maybe even close or around 20M with both platforms combined. But again it's just a personal guess and don't have enough data to make a proper estimation.

Same goes with trying to guess if it sold more in EU or NA, but traditionally MP shooters sell more in NA, and NA is a bigger market than EU, so I think it's more likely that it sold more there than in EU. But again, it's just an informed guess and could be wrong, obviously not all games sell more in NA.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The game went back to number 3 on Steam Global sellers even if it's delisted in 177 countries. How irrelevant are those countries 😬

Are they still able to play it (the ones that bought it before)?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The game went back to number 3 on Steam Global sellers even if it's delisted in 177 countries. How irrelevant are those countries 😬

177? Are you good with mathematics?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

It went up to number 3 from sitting around #10~ the last few days because of the battlepass came out yesterday.
This is normal behaviour for a GaaS game.
As unit sale slowdown for the game, it's doing more and more of its revenue through MTX.

It'll come back down again in a day or two.

Yes, a game can be delisted but as long as you have it bought previously, it's yours.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It went up to number 3 from sitting around #10~ the last few days because of the battlepass came out yesterday.
This is normal behaviour for a GaaS game.
As unit sale slowdown for the game, it's doing more and more of its revenue through MTX.

It'll come back down again in a day or two.

Yes, a game can be delisted but as long as you have it bought previously, it's yours.
Good point about having it even if it was delisted after.