Hermen visiting future first party playstation FPS studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Need to see what they are doing but if it's a boots on the ground mil shooter, then I'm in and happy for them to join PSStudios.
Yeah, hope it’s not trying to be some clever and unique semi derivative. Just release a super polished AAAA modern war shooter.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Not sure, this is what they said late last year:

Doesn’t sound to me like they will be emulating the BLOPS/COD formula, sounds like they want something more in the realm of valorant/Apex/Overwatch/Destiny that really has its own identity. I also think directly competing with CoD is probably just a fools errand at this point. I think thats why games like MAG failed.

You gotta bring something new and innovative to the table. Make COD formula feel old
Me no likeee

But, happy to see something different as long as it’s brilliant

But with the likes of Hyenas and Redfall recently tho, what are the odds of garbage on a plate.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Me no likeee

But, happy to see something different as long as it’s brilliant

But with the likes of Hyenas and Redfall recently tho, what are the odds of garbage on a plate.

These guys seem more experienced in this field. Arkane are immersive sim guys, and who knows wtf sega is doing. they seem like they’re just following the trends. Sounds like these guys are doing something different than the average military or quirky hero shooter. Maybe something entirely different.

I really hope its something closer to what Embark Studios are doing

Reactions: Shmunter

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Not sure, this is what they said late last year:

Doesn’t sound to me like they will be emulating the BLOPS/COD formula, sounds like they want something more in the realm of valorant/Apex/Overwatch/Destiny that really has its own identity. I also think directly competing with CoD is probably just a fools errand at this point. I think thats why games like MAG failed.

You gotta bring something new and innovative to the table. Make COD formula feel old
Sony would probably want to buy DG for that alone.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony continues with their organic growth: all their existing internal teams continue growing and most of their recent acquisitons are people who had a long story working for them of making deals with them. Like Bungie, Housemarque, Firesprite, Fabrik, Bluepoint, Lasengle or Valkyrie.

They have Bungie or Guerrilla and also working for on 2nd party games for them they have Firewalk or Deviation. I think not all of them are working on FPS, but I bet that at least one of the games these teams are working on right now (not counting Destiny 2) will be a hit FPS or TPS.
Bungie and Haven were not organic. Square Enix for example would be organic, because they working with them close (many exclusives till today) since the first PS1 and other areas aside games. Deviation is a safe bet, because not only Microsoft, EA for e.g. could buy them too if they see Deviation games have good performance.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Need to see what they are doing but if it's a boots on the ground mil shooter, then I'm in and happy for them to join PSStudios.
Even if it's not, they should still be bought.

It's all about talented developers at this point. If they are in house and have the right budget and support, they can make whatever game there is a demand for: sci-fi shooter, boots on the ground, Titanfall-type shooter, whatever.

Reactions: Bryank75

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Headcanon moment: Hermen went to the studio to sign the acquisition deal papers and then played football to celebrate. He's visited other studios before, sure, but I don't think he's done much in the way of leisure activities with the folks there.

Reactions: Muddasar
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Headcanon moment: Hermen went to the studio to sign the acquisition deal papers and then played football to celebrate. He's visited other studios before, sure, but I don't think he's done much in the way of leisure activities with the folks there.

I’d think a more telling sign is that he visited a 3rd party companies studio at all. He is the head of playstation studios, if it were a 3rd party partnership still it would be Greg rice and those people that visited them

Theap99

Banned
21 Jun 2022
Playing soccer doesn't look like they're getting much progress & work done. Is this game even in pre-production yet?

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
I’d think a more telling sign is that he visited a 3rd party companies studio at all. He is the head of playstation studios, if it were a 3rd party partnership still it would be Greg rice and those people that visited them
Hulst is in charge of all games PlayStation Studios is publishing, so his visit isn’t anything special.

But Hulst admitted part of the point of these deals was to potentially buy them (Haven), so it’s possible.

Has nothing to do with Greg Rice. He handles PlayStation indies.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I dunno about Sony buying unproven studios. That includes Haven (already bought obviously, but the idea that Jade Raymond is some hit machine is flawed to me, which we've argued about here before.)

It's cheap enough for them I guess compared to buying studios with tons of releases.. but I like(d) their approach of funding a game with exclusive contracts then seeing how that goes.

With the Returnal dev for instance they got them to stop any and all production on other projects and focus on Returnal. At that point the studio is basically a PS 1st party anyways, and Sony clearly does a good job of making people want to continue working with them. Is it possible a studio would turn around and use that game to make themselves ripe to sell to someone else? Yeah.. but I think that's not super likely.

Sony seems to get devs to want to sell to them after working with them exclusively or nearly exclusively.. and IMO that's a smarter more cautious approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.