High on Life is the best exclusive XBOX had in a long time

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I've heard this a few times. Based on subscription metrics Game pass is objectively considered the best deal in gaming. You can always find a person that tries to be different and claim it's a bad deal or hurting the industry or my favorite its unsustainable.

In the end the reason it has been successful is because it is the best deal in gaming period. There is no other subscription service that offers a wider genre breadth of new day one games as Game pass. Add Immortality to the list most recently.

As many say its a title perfect for Game pass. I have no problem acknowledging reality. Even Sony talked about how Game pass was a threat to their business. Odd for something that isn't the best deal in gaming.
You trying too hard but hey thts always you since gaf lol Psplus premium shits on gamepass. But hey if you like it thts all that matters 😊

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
When has anyone pushed off power washer or goat simulator as a big console seller? Why mention those and not Lies of P or Starfield? MS ia less concerned about selling consoles than getting more people in to Game pass.
These two are kind of related.

But hey MS built did all the rnd, built the consoles, distributed them, created buzz around 12tf, etc. Just to piss off Sony! They don't even care if they don't sell a single unit.

Moreso, all they do is build a fake army of fans, birth online and offline to hide this scheme they have to piss off Sony!

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You've said the best deal in gaming three times within a single post. Looks like you're really trying hard to convince yourself and you don't truly believe it yourself.
Nah, his job is to convince us.

24 Jun 2022
Even if it did, by that analogy Rihanna is better than Queen, Whitney Houston, Eagles or the Rolling Stones. After all, it sold more, therefore better.

Sadly there are kids today who actually think that way.

They sold at least one digital copy since then - to me. lol. Of course, that ended up being a $70 loss. Wish they would have made the game like Alienation. If you die, you keep whatever weapons and equipment that you found and you simply restart the map (or in Returnal's case, world) from the beginning. This is one game I should have done more research on before buying it but that update back in March got me. Oh well.

Returnal sounds like a very hardcore take on roguelikes since you lose the weapons & gear, too. I don't play a lot of games in that genre but I don't know if Returnal would be a fitting first go.

But I suspect Housemarque understood this and the game is made geared towards more experienced players of that genre and third-person shooters, and bullet-hell shmups in particular and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's very unique in the market in that sense, if it conformed to every stipulation it wouldn't have an identity and if other games did that we wouldn't have stuff like the Soulsborne games.

I've heard this a few times. Based on subscription metrics Game pass is objectively considered the best deal in gaming. You can always find a person that tries to be different and claim it's a bad deal or hurting the industry or my favorite its unsustainable.

What subscription metrics are you speaking of? Number of subscribers? Metacritic average? Amount of revenue?

Because the last one, we can't even say for sure because the numbers aren't provided, but people like @Heisenberg007 and myself have done some speculation and numbers and don't think GP is pushing close to $1 billion/year with the current subscriber rate (25 million officially stated). Metacritic average might be true, but GamePass has quite a few less games than PS+, especially once Extra and Premium are factored in, so there's less games and less chances therefore, for the average to be weighed down.

Of course GP has a lot of subscribers but again, since Sony rolled PS Now and PS+ into one, it is barely over half the # of subscribers as PS+. If you want to throw Gold into there then maybe Gold + GP combined equal or surpass PS+ numbers, but you are now counting two distinctly different services as one; even Microsoft considers them two very different services.

In the end the reason it has been successful is because it is the best deal in gaming period. There is no other subscription service that offers a wider genre breadth of new day one games as Game pass. Add Immortality to the list most recently.

How successful has GamePass actually been, though? That's one of the burning questions IMO. If you look at it in a way, when MS says VR is niche, but GamePass has only seen an average of 5 million subs per year (and we don't even know how many are paying the full fair price, are on deals, are the same person with multiple free accounts, on $1 conversions, using MS Reward points to pay for their sub, etc.). Oculus Quest 2 sold 10 million units in one year. By that metric, GamePass is more "niche" than VR so shouldn't we be seeing a VR helmet from Microsoft and maybe less of GamePass?

I already suggested that the money it generates in revenue very likely probably doesn't add up to where many think it does. So claiming it's a success in terms of revenue is questionable. You can claim it's a success in terms of library curation; I was saying a long time ago that it's probably the best curated service out there but that also comes with a caveat: they have way less games than PS+, so it's harder to drag down the average. I'm sure if someone did a count, you'd find more 85+ MC games on PS+ across its tiers, than on GP or GPU.

And you'd probably find more 70-or-lower MC games on PS+ than GP, too, but again that's the double-edged sword of simply having so many more games.

As many say its a title perfect for Game pass. I have no problem acknowledging reality. Even Sony talked about how Game pass was a threat to their business. Odd for something that isn't the best deal in gaming.

Sony are being coy to a large extent, they have to look like a victim in order to hopefully convince the FTC to make concessions for the ABK deal that are in their favor and not Microsoft's. MS, in those same court documents, said that PlayStation's securing 3P timed exclusives and marketing deals was a threat to their business, too, because they basically conflated that with Sony supposedly locking GamePass out from ALL big 3P games even those they have no direct involvement with.

So wouldn't Microsoft in that ironic twist, be suggesting that PlayStation is the best platform in gaming for exclusives and biggest selection of the best 3P games available? Or could we be even sillier and say it's MS's way of saying PlayStation is the best value in gaming? Because at least in that case, we have some actual data in terms of console sales, software sales, software sales percentages and division revenue, that back up THAT notion, even if it is also ultimately subjective and I know you personally would probably say otherwise (as you would have the right to: "best value" is ultimately subjective, after all).

My narrative is the success is undeniable. I subscribed to both Sony and MS's plans and compared them personally. I am assuming you knew that as part of whatever narrative you had. Best deal is not subjective if you want new games. If you want old games it absolutely is subjective although it is nice to be able to play older games on Xbox without additional fees.

GamePass gets virtually none of the bigger 3P games as Day 1 releases, though.

• brain
Reactions: Heisenberg007
P

peter42O

Returnal sounds like a very hardcore take on roguelikes since you lose the weapons & gear, too. I don't play a lot of games in that genre but I don't know if Returnal would be a fitting first go.

But I suspect Housemarque understood this and the game is made geared towards more experienced players of that genre and third-person shooters, and bullet-hell shmups in particular and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's very unique in the market in that sense, if it conformed to every stipulation it wouldn't have an identity and if other games did that we wouldn't have stuff like the Soulsborne games.

Yeah, I agree in general but personally, would have preferred Returnal to not be a roguelike game and instead, just be a straight forward game or at least setup like Alienation. Losing my weapons and gear is a no go for me. Shame because I love Housemarque and Returnal is easily a game I would have completed if it wasn't a roguelike.

P

peter42O

Yeah, sad but true. I don't expect major top tier AAA third party multi-platform titles day one. Maybe 6 months later if that but if it's a game I really want to play, im not waiting to see if/when that particular game goes on Game Pass. I am happy that Microsoft is getting a good amount of AA third party multi-platform titles day one. As of now, I have the following -

- A Plague Tale Requiem
- Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn
- Lies of P
- Stalker 2: Heart of Chernobyl
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

I'm expecting all five of these games to be in the 80's on Open Critic. If Microsoft can give me at least a few great AA third party multi-platform titles every year, I will be a very happy gamer. 😂

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
None are objectively better than the other contrary to what you're desperate to believe.

I can see why Gaf has given you that custom tag. It's a good warning for what you're all about - not interested in serious gaming discussion.
Desperate? Name superior subscription service that provides regular day one titles on console and PC. You never made a serious claim about anything.

DarkMage619

15 Jul 2022
What subscription metrics are you speaking of? Number of subscribers? Metacritic average? Amount of revenue?
Subscribers is a fair metric. The only thing that really matters is what customers say. Before Sony combined their online game subscriptions with their game service it was undeniable which service was more popular. Until MS releases Xbox Live Gold numbers there really isn't a way to compare numbers now.
Of course GP has a lot of subscribers but again, since Sony rolled PS Now and PS+ into one, it is barely over half the # of subscribers as PS+. If you want to throw Gold into there then maybe Gold + GP combined equal or surpass PS+ numbers, but you are now counting two distinctly different services as one; even Microsoft considers them two very different services.
Exactly. Sony clearly didn't like the comparison before. There was a reason they changed the way their subscriptions were counted.
How successful has GamePass actually been, though? That's one of the burning questions IMO. If you look at it in a way, when MS says VR is niche, but GamePass has only seen an average of 5 million subs per year (and we don't even know how many are paying the full fair price, are on deals, are the same person with multiple free accounts, on $1 conversions, using MS Reward points to pay for their sub, etc.). Oculus Quest 2 sold 10 million units in one year. By that metric, GamePass is more "niche" than VR so shouldn't we be seeing a VR helmet from Microsoft and maybe less of GamePass?
I don't really get the comparison. Game pass has 25 million confirmed subscribers and Oculus has 10 million owners so Oculus is less niche? You have no idea how many $1 subs there are and it's pretty funny everyone forgets it's a conversion from XBLG which would cost a bit more than a $1.

I already suggested that the money it generates in revenue very likely probably doesn't add up to where many think it does. So claiming it's a success in terms of revenue is questionable. You can claim it's a success in terms of library curation; I was saying a long time ago that it's probably the best curated service out there but that also comes with a caveat: they have way less games than PS+, so it's harder to drag down the average. I'm sure if someone did a count, you'd find more 85+ MC games on PS+ across its tiers, than on GP or GPU.
You don't know how much money Game pass makes but I'd ask how does that affect gamers? Why would any gamer worry about how much money MS is making on their services over if they actually find value in the games offered on the service? Game pass just got another highly rated new title so again the value proposition is clear.
Sony are being coy to a large extent, they have to look like a victim in order to hopefully convince the FTC to make concessions for the ABK deal that are in their favor and not Microsoft's. MS, in those same court documents, said that PlayStation's securing 3P timed exclusives and marketing deals was a threat to their business, too, because they basically conflated that with Sony supposedly locking GamePass out from ALL big 3P games even those they have no direct involvement with.
I do recall the clause they had in RE Village so there is some evidence Sony is not above blocking content from Game pass. Sony was clear they see it as a threat. Sony is far more aggressive in timed exclusives and the duration of those timed exclusives last at least twice as long as any MS does. Business is business but I wouldn't be surprised if MS' recent acquisitions were a reaction to getting content blocked from their platform. It's still pretty hilarious MS can't even confirm if Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, IP they own, will ever hit Xbox at all. Good short term win for Sony we'll see how it looks long term.

So wouldn't Microsoft in that ironic twist, be suggesting that PlayStation is the best platform in gaming for exclusives and biggest selection of the best 3P games available? Or could we be even sillier and say it's MS's way of saying PlayStation is the best value in gaming? Because at least in that case, we have some actual data in terms of console sales, software sales, software sales percentages and division revenue, that back up THAT notion, even if it is also ultimately subjective and I know you personally would probably say otherwise (as you would have the right to: "best value" is ultimately subjective, after all).
No gamer determines value based on how many sales or money a company makes. That is pure fanboy forum fodder. MS has considerably more money than Sony but that has no bearing on Game pass being a superior service.
Except any and all MS first party titles. Again a big difference from what anyone else is doing.

BadBurger

3 Jul 2022
Desperate? Name superior subscription service that provides regular day one titles on console and PC. You never made a serious claim about anything.
I said you was trying convince yourself by constantly claiming it's the best deal in gaming.

And moving goalposts to create a strawman argument like the above is probably why you're considered a console warrior at GAF. Not someone to be taken seriously.

DarkMage619

15 Jul 2022
I said you was trying convince yourself by constantly claiming it's the best deal in gaming.

And moving goalposts to create a strawman argument like the above is probably why you're considered a console warrior at GAF. Not someone to be taken seriously.
Just sounds to me like you are doing quite a bit of projection. Talk of desperation yet that seems to be eminating from you. I didn't convince myself Game pass had 25 million subscribers when PS Now had around 3 million.

I stated my reasons why Game pass was a superior subscription service. You haven't provided any tangible evidence to support anything but keep on bringing up GAF, a site that has banned several other users here, as some kinda knock against me. You want to hold up GAF as some bastion of honesty or something? Why not simply prove your case and drop the ad hominems.

Ha that's a trick question, as such a subscription service currently does not exist.
Que? Game pass just dropped another 4 day one titles just yesterday. They drop new games on the service regularly. What other service out there does that?

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Que? Game pass just dropped another 4 day one titles just yesterday. They drop new games on the service regularly. What other service out there does that?

You mean randomly? Only because it releases games day one once in a while, doesn't make it regularly.

If that's the case, then PS+ has been doing it since PS4 times. Contrast and Resogun launched day 1 on PS+ when the PS4 was released. Last year we had Destruction All-Stars and Oddworld day 1 with PS+ and last month Stray on PS+ Extra.

That's only the ones I remembered right now, probably missing many more.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
You mean randomly? Only because it releases games day one once in a while, doesn't make it regularly.
FLTYc2FaUAAPzHp.jpg

BadBurger

3 Jul 2022
Just sounds to me like you are doing quite a bit of projection. Talk of desperation yet that seems to be eminating from you. I didn't convince myself Game pass had 25 million subscribers when PS Now had around 3 million.

I stated my reasons why Game pass was a superior subscription service. You haven't provided any tangible evidence to support anything but keep on bringing up GAF, a site that has banned several other users here, as some kinda knock against me. You want to hold up GAF as some bastion of honesty or something? Why not simply prove your case and drop the ad hominems.
Unsurprisingly missing the point. If you look at my original post to you, you will see the lengths you've gone to in a desperate attempt to avoid addressing my point.

I like the GAF tag, its apt and made me realise not to take your discussion very seriously as it will be very one sided.

I don't mind fanboys but when they are attempting to convince themselves rather than others it's weird. Like when they repeat the same tagline every other sentence ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: arvfab
24 Jun 2022
Yeah, sad but true. I don't expect major top tier AAA third party multi-platform titles day one. Maybe 6 months later if that but if it's a game I really want to play, im not waiting to see if/when that particular game goes on Game Pass. I am happy that Microsoft is getting a good amount of AA third party multi-platform titles day one. As of now, I have the following -

- A Plague Tale Requiem
- Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn
- Lies of P
- Stalker 2: Heart of Chernobyl
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

I'm expecting all five of these games to be in the 80's on Open Critic. If Microsoft can give me at least a few great AA third party multi-platform titles every year, I will be a very happy gamer. 😂

Well I can't say anything WRT Flintrock but of that list three of them would be worth playing to me whether they were in GamePass or not, so that's not too bad. But on the other point, about lack of 3P AAA Day 1 games, I still think comments from Take-Two's CEO and Sony's CFO sum it up perfectly both in terms why we don't see many of those games on these services Day 1.

It's simply too costly and that's a big reason MS have just went out and bought publishers instead. If a publisher is worried that Day 1 for their AAA games on the service is going to severely impact sales revenue, remove the worry of sales revenue by just buying the company altogether.

Subscribers is a fair metric. The only thing that really matters is what customers say. Before Sony combined their online game subscriptions with their game service it was undeniable which service was more popular. Until MS releases Xbox Live Gold numbers there really isn't a way to compare numbers now.

Sony never really pushed PS Now anywhere to the degree MS has pushed GamePass, though. For MS, GP became their all-or-nothing. For Sony, PS Now was a neat little side hustle to their main gaming business.

There's a reason MS doesn't list Gold numbers, but have rolled in Gold with Silver and reported those numbers together. Given so many GP/GPU subs are probably Gold users on the $1 conversion and stacking programs, and I strongly doubt Gold during XBO era ever had significantly more than half the sub count PS+ got, I wouldn't be surprised if total Gold subs are under 20 million. If so that'd put Gold + GP/GPU numbers at roughly 45 million, but I think the number of Gold subs who've converted to GPU is probably pretty high, so personally I think Gold subs are probably closer to 15 million.

Because I really don't see much a point sticking with Gold if you can switch to GPU on a $1 conversion deal, unless you're in some country where the rules are weirdly different. I don't even think you can buy Gold at an annual rate anymore so you don't save as much that way as might've in the past.

Exactly. Sony clearly didn't like the comparison before. There was a reason they changed the way their subscriptions were counted.

Lol having less subs than GP was not the main reason Sony merged them. They wanted to boost revenue from PS+, needed a value incentive to do so, saw that PS Now (which they were never particularly serious about) could provide that value incentive, and merged the two. A good chunk of games actually left PS+ due to the merger so it would've benefited Sony to keep them separate if anything, at least in the short term.

I don't really get the comparison. Game pass has 25 million confirmed subscribers and Oculus has 10 million owners so Oculus is less niche? You have no idea how many $1 subs there are and it's pretty funny everyone forgets it's a conversion from XBLG which would cost a bit more than a $1.

We know it's a lot, because we have some figures as to how much subscription services contribute to the overall gaming market. Roughly $3.2 - $3.7 billion, or 4%, of an $81 billion market.

And that $3.2 - $3.7 billion would include PS+, NSO, Gold, PS Now (when it still existed), Stadia etc. Then there is a specific slice of that market on GamePass-style services, of which GamePass leads with 60 - 70%. But, since we know the revenue PS+ and NSO bring in, we can also say we know however big that slice of the subscriptions market is that GamePass counts towards, it's at least $3.7 billion minus $2.5 billion, minus ~ $600 million (NSO) on top of that.

So from that, GamePass would have 60 - 70% of roughly $1 billion to claim. That's the very rough breakdown of it, so from there, knowing the costs for GamePass regularly, we can definitely start to figure out how many are paying in full, and how many aren't.

But let's suppose the $3.2 billion - $3.7 billion figure was purely for GP-style subscriptions (the article this is all based on was sloppily written, but the data it pulled, including some from Ampere Analysis, was accurate). GP having 60% of that would be $2.22 billion, 70% would be $2.59 billion. The average annual GP subscription is $120/year. 25 million subs would be $3 billion/year. Obviously, this number's much bigger than the two I just gave (and those would be in an absolute best-case scenario for GamePass revenue).

At the very least, that would mean at best a little over 21 million of that 25 million are paying in full for GP, but at worst, 18.5 million of 25 million are paying in full. And this is not accounting for GPU subs, because if there are people paying for that in full, it would drop the total number of fully-paying members down even further regardless which revenue figure you'd want to go with.

And again, that's assuming the "subscription services" figure from that original article was purely in reference to GP-style services like it, PS Now, Luna, Stadia, GeForce Now and the such. If it also pertained to just gaming services in general like Gold, PS+, and NSO, that actual likely GP revenue cap drops SIGNIFICANTLY and probably hovers closer to $750 million or so annually.

Even if it doesn't, even if the $2.2 billion/year or $2.59 billion/year figures are better (and considering Nadella has no problem announcing Xbox consoles leading a market in revenue for multiple quarters, I would think he'd jump at the opportunity to do the same for GamePass if it's pulling in THAT much revenue or in the extreme best-case, even more than PS+), you are still looking to at least 4 - 7 million subscribers utilizing some mix of $1 conversion deals, free trails, MS Rewards etc. to get their memberships. And that's without considering the potential massive drop in Gold subscriptions that is highly likely to coincide with that, if majority of those subs were in America and UK. Why pay for Gold and regular GP when you can get the best of both at a somewhat cheaper price in GamePass Ultimate, AND get PC GamePass perks alongside that?

You don't know how much money Game pass makes but I'd ask how does that affect gamers? Why would any gamer worry about how much money MS is making on their services over if they actually find value in the games offered on the service? Game pass just got another highly rated new title so again the value proposition is clear.

Because MS are pushing GamePass to, ultimately, make as much money as possible. It's through GamePass how they expect to start making big revenue AND profit from gaming as a whole. So if GamePass isn't generating enough money, they'll probably eventually shut it down.

I have thought about the other benefit to GamePass, though, or specifically the Azure cloud that powers it. There is a slight chance that, even if GamePass itself does only bring in a small bit of revenue, MS would be willing to perhaps keep it around if they can net enough high-value gaming clients for their Azure cloud technologies and services. In some ways I think that's their bigger play even over GamePass itself, because they need Azure growth in new markets that aren't saturated for cloud technologies and services, gaming being potentially the biggest opportunity.

It's why they made that announcement with Sega, for example, and also with Kojima. I think when MS says they want to push into Japan and Asian regions, it's not really about Xbox or even GamePass: it's about Azure. New technology clients in those markets for Azure services over the long-term. Gaming happens to be the best opportunity for Microsoft to accomplish this because them going to other tech companies in these markets outside of the gaming sphere will likely get immediately shut down or jockeyed out of position by companies like Tencent, for example, or other Asian-based cloud providers or even companies like Amazon who probably already have very lucrative and long-term deals with data center, commerce etc. companies in non-gaming markets in these regions.

I do recall the clause they had in RE Village so there is some evidence Sony is not above blocking content from Game pass. Sony was clear they see it as a threat. Sony is far more aggressive in timed exclusives and the duration of those timed exclusives last at least twice as long as any MS does. Business is business but I wouldn't be surprised if MS' recent acquisitions were a reaction to getting content blocked from their platform. It's still pretty hilarious MS can't even confirm if Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, IP they own, will ever hit Xbox at all. Good short term win for Sony we'll see how it looks long term.

The RE Village clause is perfectly normal; Sony were footing some of the marketing costs for the game, it makes sense they'd want to protect that investment. The thing about the timed exclusives is, MS could have gone for more of them, but chose not to. They never established a consistent trend which is why gamers and pundits never simply "got used" to it.

Actually I take that back. They DID clearly establish that trend with the 360, but didn't weather the early rough storm with XBO to continue it forward, and then they just started scaling back XBO-related game funding altogether. No one stopped Microsoft from getting rights to Spiderman or other Marvel characters other than Microsoft. No one stopped Microsoft from co-funding SFV other than Microsoft, the list goes on and on.

No gamer determines value based on how many sales or money a company makes. That is pure fanboy forum fodder. MS has considerably more money than Sony but that has no bearing on Game pass being a superior service.

I made that comparison because you were stating GamePass was the superior service as if it was objectively true, and I asked what metrics (measurable, objective metrics) you were using to state the claim that way. I even listed some examples, then listed the caveats that would come with them.

In general though, I agree that these things can't be objectively stated as being superior to one another, the value determined is subjective. So I'm asking, why were you stating GamePass being superior to PS+, as if it was objective?

Except any and all MS first party titles. Again a big difference from what anyone else is doing.

Well, I did say 3P, as in third-party. So that wouldn't include Microsoft's stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: BadBurger

DarkMage619

15 Jul 2022
Well I can't say anything WRT Flintrock but of that list three of them would be worth playing to me whether they were in GamePass or not, so that's not too bad. But on the other point, about lack of 3P AAA Day 1 games, I still think comments from Take-Two's CEO and Sony's CFO sum it up perfectly both in terms why we don't see many of those games on these services Day 1.

It's simply too costly and that's a big reason MS have just went out and bought publishers instead. If a publisher is worried that Day 1 for their AAA games on the service is going to severely impact sales revenue, remove the worry of sales revenue by just buying the company altogether.

Sony never really pushed PS Now anywhere to the degree MS has pushed GamePass, though. For MS, GP became their all-or-nothing. For Sony, PS Now was a neat little side hustle to their main gaming business.

There's a reason MS doesn't list Gold numbers, but have rolled in Gold with Silver and reported those numbers together. Given so many GP/GPU subs are probably Gold users on the $1 conversion and stacking programs, and I strongly doubt Gold during XBO era ever had significantly more than half the sub count PS+ got, I wouldn't be surprised if total Gold subs are under 20 million. If so that'd put Gold + GP/GPU numbers at roughly 45 million, but I think the number of Gold subs who've converted to GPU is probably pretty high, so personally I think Gold subs are probably closer to 15 million.

Because I really don't see much a point sticking with Gold if you can switch to GPU on a $1 conversion deal, unless you're in some country where the rules are weirdly different. I don't even think you can buy Gold at an annual rate anymore so you don't save as much that way as might've in the past.

Lol having less subs than GP was not the main reason Sony merged them. They wanted to boost revenue from PS+, needed a value incentive to do so, saw that PS Now (which they were never particularly serious about) could provide that value incentive, and merged the two. A good chunk of games actually left PS+ due to the merger so it would've benefited Sony to keep them separate if anything, at least in the short term.

We know it's a lot, because we have some figures as to how much subscription services contribute to the overall gaming market. Roughly $3.2 - $3.7 billion, or 4%, of an $81 billion market.

And that $3.2 - $3.7 billion would include PS+, NSO, Gold, PS Now (when it still existed), Stadia etc. Then there is a specific slice of that market on GamePass-style services, of which GamePass leads with 60 - 70%. But, since we know the revenue PS+ and NSO bring in, we can also say we know however big that slice of the subscriptions market is that GamePass counts towards, it's at least $3.7 billion minus $2.5 billion, minus ~ $600 million (NSO) on top of that.

So from that, GamePass would have 60 - 70% of roughly $1 billion to claim. That's the very rough breakdown of it, so from there, knowing the costs for GamePass regularly, we can definitely start to figure out how many are paying in full, and how many aren't.

But let's suppose the $3.2 billion - $3.7 billion figure was purely for GP-style subscriptions (the article this is all based on was sloppily written, but the data it pulled, including some from Ampere Analysis, was accurate). GP having 60% of that would be $2.22 billion, 70% would be $2.59 billion. The average annual GP subscription is $120/year. 25 million subs would be $3 billion/year. Obviously, this number's much bigger than the two I just gave (and those would be in an absolute best-case scenario for GamePass revenue).

At the very least, that would mean at best a little over 21 million of that 25 million are paying in full for GP, but at worst, 18.5 million of 25 million are paying in full. And this is not accounting for GPU subs, because if there are people paying for that in full, it would drop the total number of fully-paying members down even further regardless which revenue figure you'd want to go with.

And again, that's assuming the "subscription services" figure from that original article was purely in reference to GP-style services like it, PS Now, Luna, Stadia, GeForce Now and the such. If it also pertained to just gaming services in general like Gold, PS+, and NSO, that actual likely GP revenue cap drops SIGNIFICANTLY and probably hovers closer to $750 million or so annually.

Even if it doesn't, even if the $2.2 billion/year or $2.59 billion/year figures are better (and considering Nadella has no problem announcing Xbox consoles leading a market in revenue for multiple quarters, I would think he'd jump at the opportunity to do the same for GamePass if it's pulling in THAT much revenue or in the extreme best-case, even more than PS+), you are still looking to at least 4 - 7 million subscribers utilizing some mix of $1 conversion deals, free trails, MS Rewards etc. to get their memberships. And that's without considering the potential massive drop in Gold subscriptions that is highly likely to coincide with that, if majority of those subs were in America and UK. Why pay for Gold and regular GP when you can get the best of both at a somewhat cheaper price in GamePass Ultimate, AND get PC GamePass perks alongside that?

Because MS are pushing GamePass to, ultimately, make as much money as possible. It's through GamePass how they expect to start making big revenue AND profit from gaming as a whole. So if GamePass isn't generating enough money, they'll probably eventually shut it down.

I have thought about the other benefit to GamePass, though, or specifically the Azure cloud that powers it. There is a slight chance that, even if GamePass itself does only bring in a small bit of revenue, MS would be willing to perhaps keep it around if they can net enough high-value gaming clients for their Azure cloud technologies and services. In some ways I think that's their bigger play even over GamePass itself, because they need Azure growth in new markets that aren't saturated for cloud technologies and services, gaming being potentially the biggest opportunity.

It's why they made that announcement with Sega, for example, and also with Kojima. I think when MS says they want to push into Japan and Asian regions, it's not really about Xbox or even GamePass: it's about Azure. New technology clients in those markets for Azure services over the long-term. Gaming happens to be the best opportunity for Microsoft to accomplish this because them going to other tech companies in these markets outside of the gaming sphere will likely get immediately shut down or jockeyed out of position by companies like Tencent, for example, or other Asian-based cloud providers or even companies like Amazon who probably already have very lucrative and long-term deals with data center, commerce etc. companies in non-gaming markets in these regions.

The RE Village clause is perfectly normal; Sony were footing some of the marketing costs for the game, it makes sense they'd want to protect that investment. The thing about the timed exclusives is, MS could have gone for more of them, but chose not to. They never established a consistent trend which is why gamers and pundits never simply "got used" to it.

Actually I take that back. They DID clearly establish that trend with the 360, but didn't weather the early rough storm with XBO to continue it forward, and then they just started scaling back XBO-related game funding altogether. No one stopped Microsoft from getting rights to Spiderman or other Marvel characters other than Microsoft. No one stopped Microsoft from co-funding SFV other than Microsoft, the list goes on and on.

I made that comparison because you were stating GamePass was the superior service as if it was objectively true, and I asked what metrics (measurable, objective metrics) you were using to state the claim that way. I even listed some examples, then listed the caveats that would come with them.

In general though, I agree that these things can't be objectively stated as being superior to one another, the value determined is subjective. So I'm asking, why were you stating GamePass being superior to PS+, as if it was objective?

Well, I did say 3P, as in third-party. So that wouldn't include Microsoft's stuff.
I've been warned to not say anything more about Game pass. It is what it is. Love it. Hate it doesn't matter to me. Sorry for mentioning it at all. Cheers!