Hogwarts Legacy gains 30% without Denuvo

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Really? Wasn't aware of that.

In the case of this game though, I'm pretty sure it's just bypassed.. so the performance impact (if there is one) is still there. This is just using a mod that reduces some ini settings to improve performance.

That said, Denuvo, and DRM in general CAN contribute to stuttering in games.. so it's a cancer all the same.

I understand why Denuvo is necessary for a lot of publishers.. and I think it does help with the initial bulk sales of games.. but I think devs should commit to maybe 1 or 2 months max with Denuvo and then remove it. Not only for the potential improved performance, but also for the sake of preservation.

I can agree with this.

D

Deleted member 417

...and to "combat" piracy.
They used piracy as an excuse to bring in their money-grabbing measures. In the same way a smear campaign was set up to criticise physical and convince people to adopt to digital."It will be cheaper", they said.

The same tactics are used in every walk of life. "Give us your freedoms and we will give you more security". It's all the same.

Reactions: Banana and arvfab

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
We were told, during the piracy scare of 04, that pirating and illegally downloading films, music and games would damage the industry. When I look at the film, music and gaming industry of today, with its throw-away experiences, talentless obscenity-laden dross and predatory practices, broken releases and uninspired works, one has to wonder if piracy was all that bad?

It's funny in how in just over a decade, piracy went from normal to social unacceptable, all the while the 'poor' 'struggling' industry conned millions into pouring billions into their coffers, for little more than empty promises.
A case study for correlation there will be complex but can't be outright tossed away as separate arguments. That's, that quality is not tied to greater profit (the suggestion of complacency that comes with an easy buck adversely affecting quality).

The bottomline is that as you know and in some ways describe, human psychology is a bitch. Every time a dev sees a fitgirl repack ;) torrent download counter in the thousands, hundred of thousands or millions they pound sand and fist for the potential lost money. Now the argument proposition about how those pirated downloads were never going to materialize into sales will never satisfy the dev/pub/creator. Each side will assume absolute opposites of the argument spectrum as per their respective interests. It's greyish irl. The market has in some ways settled on a solution itself (that being Denuvo). It does not satisfy either extreme, more like a profitable stalemate for both sides. Of course as with any warring parties, a stalemate is only a temporary state of being.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is great.

Denuvo already did its job… 12 million launch sales that I believe around 3-4 million come from PC.