Horizon: Zero Dawn leaving PS+ May 21st (speculation a remake announcement is coming)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
i-guess-hzd-is-leaving-v0-xr5c04ijmsxc1.jpeg

Horizon: Zero Dawn is mysteriously leaving the Playstation Plus Game Catalog

It seems that the rumored Horizon: Zero Dawn Remake is in fact real, and the game is leaving in order to be replaced by the new version which seems that it's going to be announced in the Showcase this month or next.

Source

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Another fucking remake, pardon my French.
Smh Sony this gen really lame. Will likely see this in lined with the PS5 Pro which will be a looker fs.

But man I really did wish Sony would actually make new games & put effort in remakes/remaster PS fans want. inFAMOUS 1&2 remake, “Wild Arms Trilogy collection” remake, best of Ratchet & clank collection remake or a Socom 2&3 remake would be a breath of fresh air. Sony this gen has been riding the wave of the PS4 & ip back from last generation. The only good new ip from Sony PS studios first party was Returnal great gave PS some of that weird flavor I missed. Not every game has to be 40-60 hours 3rd person story driven games. Where’s PS platformers like Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper & Ape Escape it’s no wonder PS budget ballooning all of its focus are on these big bloated AAA games w very little unique fun creative titles in the mix.

It would be crazy to see this HZD remake be ported to PC but at this point Sony been making brain dead decisions jeopardizing its own business so I wouldn’t rule out anything at this point. Why cop this HZD remake when players can just add mod to HZD PC version I wouldn’t be surprised if we see HZD mods that mimic the graphics on the HZD remake on PS5 & a whole drama conversation surrounding PS own platform being a whole thing for that month being annoying

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Very torn on this.

The game is currently 7 years old and it's already been ported to PC.

It's currently selling for 50 dollars on Steam.

Even with the TV show coming, it doesn't really make sense to release a remaster let alone a remake for this game.

I guess going by the logic of The Last of Us Remastered and an 8 year gap, it's not as crazy as we might think, especially if it doesn't release until 2025 or 2026. Demon's Souls was 11 years, almost 12.

I know they were really happy with the enhancements to the engine they made in Horizon 2, but I don't know that there will be a market for this even with the TV show.

I guess no one is complaining about Until Dawn which originally came out in 2015. So it still comes down to when this game actually releases and what it offers.

Bottom line it'll be an uphill battle to justify.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Smh Sony this gen really lame. Will likely see this in lined with the PS5 Pro which will be a looker fs.

But man I really did wish Sony would actually make new games & put effort in remakes/remaster PS fans want. inFAMOUS 1&2 remake, “Wild Arms Trilogy collection” remake, best of Ratchet & clank collection remake or a Socom 2&3 remake would be a breath of fresh air. Sony this gen has been riding the wave of the PS4 & ip back from last generation. The only good new ip from Sony PS studios first party was Returnal great gave PS some of that weird flavor I missed. Not every game has to be 40-60 hours 3rd person story driven games. Where’s PS platformers like Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper & Ape Escape it’s no wonder PS budget ballooning all of its focus are on these big bloated AAA games w very little unique fun creative titles in the mix.

It would be crazy to see this HZD remake be ported to PC but at this point Sony been making brain dead decisions jeopardizing its own business

I mean even you must know that your arguments are purely based in bias, right?

Remakes PS fans want like Infamous 1&2, Wild Arms Trilogy, and Ratchet and Clank, SOCOM 2&3?

It might be close, but Horizon Zero Dawn probably outsold all of those games combined and with their transmedia strategy has way more selling potential than remakes of any of those games.

Sony's platformers weren't selling, which is why they stopped making them. It's actually a surprise they kept making Ratchet and Clank games.

And of course they would put a Horizon remake on PC, why wouldn't they? If the TV show is a hit, this is the version most people would probably play.

I don't totally disagree with you, but the method of how you come to your conclusion is really suspect. Would I personally prefer a Legend of Dragoon or Arc the Lad remake? Absolutely. Do I think that would sell well? Probably not.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Very torn on this.

The game is currently 7 years old and it's already been ported to PC.

It's currently selling for 50 dollars on Steam.

Even with the TV show coming, it doesn't really make sense to release a remaster let alone a remake for this game.

I guess going by the logic of The Last of Us Remastered and an 8 year gap, it's not as crazy as we might think, especially if it doesn't release until 2025 or 2026. Demon's Souls was 11 years, almost 12.

I know they were really happy with the enhancements to the engine they made in Horizon 2, but I don't know that there will be a market for this even with the TV show.

I guess no one is complaining about Until Dawn which originally came out in 2015. So it still comes down to when this game actually releases and what it offers.

Bottom line it'll be an uphill battle to justify.
The only reason it’s being remake is to put it back at $70 I’m assuming where going to see the Horizon Netflix series soon by the end of 2024 & release early 2025 I’m not sure if the Horizon Netflix series is slated for 2024

We should also see the Horizon online game slated for 2025. Will be interesting to see how it does compared to Monster Hunter I’m assuming it will be $40 like Helldivers 2 or F2P & act as a more casual universal Monster Hunter style game (easy to pick up) targeting younger kids. Combining the Horizon remake, the Horizok Netflix show & Horizon online it will be a stack year for Horizon in 2025.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
You can see by the Fallout and TLOU TV Show that it can be very lucrative to have something more up-to-date.

People are buying Fallout 4 at bargain bin prices because it came out in 2015, Horizon will get a higher price with a paid remake.

Reactions: Box and Neversummer

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
The only reason it’s being remake is to put it back at $70 I’m assuming where going to see the Horizon Netflix series soon by the end of 2024 & release early 2025 I’m not sure if the Horizon Netflix series is slated for 2024

We should also see the Horizon online game slated for 2025. Will be interesting to see how it does compared to Monster Hunter I’m assuming it will be $40 like Helldivers 2 or F2P & act as a more casual universal Monster Hunter style game (easy to pick up) targeting younger kids. Combining the Horizon remake, the Horizok Netflix show & Horizon online it will be a stack year for Horizon in 2025.

I think they believe Horizon is a more compelling franchise than it is and I think they're going to be in for a shock, but I'm willing to leave room for me to be completely wrong.

Like you said, it might be able to capture a much younger/more casual market. They seem to be putting in a lot of resources into this one franchise and if it fails, it'll probably be the end of Herman Hulst.

It could be a complete bomb or it could be the biggest thing Sony has ever done. Who really knows.

Reactions: Neversummer

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I don't see the point in them removing their own games from the service but hey... Even if a Remake is happening

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
A remaster I understand, a Remake would be really really stupid and another mismanagement of PS studios…. I believe they are stupid enough to waste resources on a remake but I hope its just a simple remaster

Reactions: Box

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You can see by the Fallout and TLOU TV Show that it can be very lucrative to have something more up-to-date.

People are buying Fallout 4 at bargain bin prices because it came out in 2015, Horizon will get a higher price with a paid remake.

I think that's the truth to it. They don't want people buying HZD for 20 dollars on the PS Store, instead of 60-70 dollars. And if there are two versions on PC and one is 50 and the other is 70 but much more modern, people will buy that version.

The reality is that it probably didn't take much to remake the game. Probably using the engine of the Forbidden West Expansion, built around PS5 rather than cross platform.

On paper it makes sense financially. It's low risk, high reward. They could even bundle Horizon Online with it and sell Horizon Online separately for like 20 dollars. I think A LOT depends on the TV show. Something we don't even have a cast for...

There's been speculation as to when the show will take place, but I can't imagine they don't want to put Aloy up front and center.

In terms of casting the choice is obvious, especially since it is Netflix to go with Sadie Sink, but you have other options in Sophie Turner, or Sophia Lillis. I think those are your top 3 choices and then it gets more interested when you consider actresses for Elisabeth Sobeck, Jessica Chastain, Amy Adams, or Bryce Dallas Howard. I think Bryce Dallas Howard would be the pick.

I think Sony has SO much riding on who they cast as Aloy and who they cast as Kratos, just as much as Marvel did with casting Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, and Chris Hemsworth.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
It's not a remake, just the port of the PC version with some assets switched up with the ones from Forbidden West.
I doubt they are going to sell this for 70$ and market it as a remake.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
A remaster I understand, a Remake would be really really stupid and another mismanagement of PS studios…. I believe they are stupid enough to waste resources on a remake but I hope its just a simple remaster

Let's flesh out your argument.

Can you describe which were the previous mismanaged games, how much you think they sold, whether these games are done selling, and how much you think new games either continuations would have sold (and how long they would take to develop) or original IP (same question)?

thanks

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I don't see the point in them removing their own games from the service but hey... Even if a Remake is happening

If people can play it for free on PS+ Extra, why would they buy it for 70 dollars? You need PS+ Premium to play Last of Us Remastered.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It's not a remake, just the port of the PC version with some assets switched up with the ones from Forbidden West.
I doubt they are going to sell this for 70$ and market it as a remake.

If they follow the mold of TLOU P1, it would be a remaster disguised as a remake and they will in fact sell it for 70.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
If people can play it for free on PS+ Extra, why would they buy it for 70 dollars? You need PS+ Premium to play Last of Us Remastered.
Well good luck to them attempting to sell that for $70 if they are brave enough. I still don't see the point of removing it. If someone wants to play the remake, they will. The PS4 version doesn't stop existing for cheap

Reactions: Neversummer

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I don’t think ZD needs a remake but I’ll play it again gladly.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Well good luck to them attempting to sell that for $70 if they are brave enough. I still don't see the point of removing it. If someone wants to play the remake, they will. The PS4 version doesn't stop existing for cheap

This worked for TLOUP1, so the strategy seems pretty well established. People still bought the cheap versions, but they created significantly more revenue from the new game.