How is Emulation supposed to be "Game Preservation"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sick burn, you must be great at parties.

Where's the logic in your post? Equating stealing a car and copying code, when they're completely different. One is copying code, one is stealing a car.
Nope, one is stealing code, one is stealing a car. Just because a code is bits and bytes doesn't mean it's not the same act. If I copy a digital song I'm stealing that song as well.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Imagine going to these lengths to defend companies that lie to your face so that you'll hand over hard earned money to buy their slop.
But here's the thing: I'm not defending companies, I'm pointing out that the logic is wrong, and it is. If people want to pirate, that's their problem. Just don't go through mental hoops to justify it

Reactions: Zzero and xollowsob

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Sick burn, you must be great at parties.

Where's the logic in your post? Equating stealing a car and copying code, when they're completely different. One is copying code, one is stealing a car.
if it was possible to infinitely ctrl+c/ctrl+v a car, but instead you still have to pay $60k because of licensing fees, it would further demonstrate the insanity and antisocial nature of copyright.

there's already a pretty close analogy with pharmaceuticals. the materials cost of a pill is negligible. but the manufacturing of cheap/free drugs is hindered primarily by patents. so we could be saving/improving lives, but instead patients are forced to pay thousands of dollars.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Imagine going to great lengths to justify piracy
I see no problem with piracy. I don't have to justify anything.
'vote with your wallet' is a popular and true mantra. Shame people don't vote with their brain and get the games for free.

If piracy could bankrupt a company, EA wouldn't have been a company long enough to see a PS4.
Nope, one is stealing code, one is stealing a car. Just because a code is bits and bytes doesn't mean it's not the same act. If I copy a digital song I'm stealing that song as well.
Stealing; the act of taking one's possessions for you own, depriving them of that possession.

Copying digital information isn't stealing. No one is deprived of the ownership.

Reactions: balrogboy

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Copying digital information isn't stealing. No one is deprived of the ownership.
I make music. Copying my music without my permission is definitely stealing my property. But keep on bending that spine of yours.

Reactions: Sircaw

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I will say as a person who writes my own books + short stories; I would be livid if people copied/distributed my works without consent.
But if it's digital it's fine, RIGHT??? Because you're not deprived of ownership or some shit.

😆

• haha
Reactions: Sircaw

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Super Mario Maker servers shutting down means you can't play the user generated levels anymore (key feature of the game, disabled because company doesn't want to support your purchase anymore) so people have archived the levels. Can someone explain to me how this isn't game preservation? The content of a game, a key feature mind you, being supported by 3rd parties past the point that the publisher wishes to support it somehow is not preserving the game as it was? If it's theft to do this, then it must be theft for Nintendo to steal that content off purchasers.

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Super Mario Maker servers shutting down means you can't play the user generated levels anymore (key feature of the game, disabled because company doesn't want to support your purchase anymore) so people have archived the levels. Can someone explain to me how this isn't game preservation? The content of a game, a key feature mind you, being supported by 3rd parties past the point that the publisher wishes to support it somehow is not preserving the game as it was? If it's theft to do this, then it must be theft for Nintendo to steal that content off purchasers.

The game has been out for how many years now? If you wanted to play it you would have.

This isn't some obscure 30 year old game lost to time

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
The game has been out for how many years now? If you wanted to play it you would have.

This isn't some obscure 30 year old game lost to time
I'm confused here. You said how is emulation preservation, and here is an example of a game's key feature/content disappearing once the servers end. It might not be 30yo, but it's going to be lost to time once the servers close. "It's not preservation because you could have played it before the servers turned off." What??? What if I didn't and want to play it? What if I purchased the game and want to keep playing the content that came with my purchase? What if I couldn't play it because I was in a coma and just woke up? What if I was a kid and my parents didn't buy me said console but now I'm an adult and it's physically impossible to engage in the game as it was? All those examples invalidate your claims. It's cope to suggest people ought be limited by specific time frame windows in which they can play games they purchase when emulation fixes this. My example answers your thread question perfectly, refusing to accept it is just bad faith.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nomen_Nescio
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I'm confused here. You said how is emulation preservation, and here is an example of a game's key feature/content disappearing once the servers end. It might not be 30yo, but it's going to be lost to time once the servers close. "It's not preservation because you could have played it before the servers turned off." What??? What if I didn't and want to play it? What if I purchased the game and want to keep playing the content that came with my purchase? What if I couldn't play it because I was in a coma and just woke up? What if I was a kid and my parents didn't buy me said console but now I'm an adult and it's physically impossible to engage in the game as it was? All those examples invalidate your claims. It's cope to suggest people ought be limited by specific time frame windows in which they can play games they purchase when emulation fixes this. My example answers your thread question perfectly, refusing to accept it is just bad faith.

It's like a concert, if you miss out on it you miss out on it. The legacy is preserved for video recordings of the event like how Mario maker is preserved through video retrospectives.

You can't keep the concert going on for ever just like you can't keep the Mario maker servers up forever.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Perhaps when you spend years of effort, dedication and hardship to produce something, you will understand where I am coming from.
The connection between me buying your book and you getting paid is far from direct. I would prefer if you just got a permanent income for being a writer. And I can get the same for writing software I find interesting.

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The connection between me buying your book and you getting paid is far from direct. I would prefer if you just got a permanent income for being a writer. And I can get the same for writing software I find interesting.
stress i need a drink GIF

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
You should be happy if anyone is reading your art.

Let me just go into your bank account and take your money, you should be happy to share right?

most people who emulate don't care about game preservation. They just want free entertainment

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake
Status
Not open for further replies.