How is Emulation supposed to be "Game Preservation"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
You are not entitled to anything you want, just because you can't afford it, or don't want to pay for it.
What do you mean? Entitlement has nothing to do with this 🤔

Letting people play something isn't preservation. How do you not get that?
Preservation: the activity or process of keeping something valued alive, intact, or free from damage or decay

When all the cartridges die, and they will, and the roms are still functioning publicly available, is that not preservation? Yes or no?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
What do you mean? Entitlement has nothing to do with this 🤔

Preservation: the activity or process of keeping something valued alive, intact, or free from damage or decay

When all the cartridges die, and they will, and the roms are still functioning publicly available, is that not preservation? Yes or no?
No, its not, because Nintendo backs all of their stuff up, multiple times over. They're literally the best run preservation company in games, or at least have been until relatively recently.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
OK...so you just want things to be preserved for the sake of preservation....? 🤔 And for them to never be enjoyed ever again?
Yes, the copyright holder can then decide whether to keep or release. This is how film preservation works, its how "music preservation" aka songwriters' notes works, its even how game preservation works in the modern day.

• thinking_hard

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Yes, the copyright holder can then decide whether to keep or release. This is how film preservation works, its how "music preservation" aka songwriters' notes works, its even how game preservation works in the modern day.
that aint it! respectfully

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

I do wonder ehy they withhold releasing it though.

They do they hate money?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I do wonder ehy they withhold releasing it though.

They do they hate money?
What, games or film?

In games its because Nintendo wants sell you a new game for 60 dollars instead of an old one for five dollars. For film its because so few people want generic 1930s two tone comedies that they'd lose money rereleasing them.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
No, its not, because Nintendo backs all of their stuff up, multiple times over. They're literally the best run preservation company in games, or at least have been until relatively recently.
Wasn't there at least one of their releases of one of their old Mario game nicely extracted by some pirate? They literally had to use the pirated ROM on their virtual console.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Wasn't there at least one of their releases of one of their old Mario game nicely extracted by some pirate? They literally had to use the pirated ROM on their virtual console.
"had to"

They did it because they were lazy.

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
I get how videogame retrospectives, let's plays, and videogame museums preserve games, but I don't see how just one person having access to a game counts as "preservation."

1. "To legally emulate a game, you gotta own a copy, so technically, the number of folks with access stays the same."

2. "If you're not sharing the game with others, can you really say it's accessible to the public if it's just you who has it?"

If you emulate games that are unavailable to buy through retail & delete those copies as they become available through retail. As long as you're not also breaking copyright law with security cracks or profiting from the emulation of commercial products, it might be considered fair.
oh no, a game is no longer being sold in stores and the console is made for isnt sold in over 20 years now. If only I had the game files and a a computer that can run the game.
it's not that hard dude.
and yeah I will always support actually buying the game, but when God Hand is no longer avaliable for years now and there is no real way to play it legally, I will illegally download the files and play it on my pc/burn a disc and play it on my hacked ps2.
No one is losing money, its a work of art that and I bet that if it were up to the devs, the game would still be up for sale.

• brain

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
also my dude, making so that if you buy a game, you have to buy it again if you get the next gen console is not game preservation, is anti-consumerism

Reactions: xollowsob

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So what you're saying is that they are not the best run preservation company in games.
What I'm saying is that Nintendo's emulation team, NERD, is located in France and their archives are in Japan. Even if they were its easier to google a rom than go out and hunt it down in a warehouse or file cache you aren't familiar with, don't have access or find the names confusing in. You know this, you are being deliberately obtuse because you cannot win an argument otherwise.

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
What I'm saying is that Nintendo's emulation team, NERD, is located in France and their archives are in Japan.
does not change the fact that you cant play ANY of the mainline pokemon games on the switch (other than the ones that are exclusives to switch)
Nintendo does absolutelly jackshit about game preservation, having the files and cartridges lost in some warehouse where no one can access them is NOT game preservation.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Inappropriate language
does not change the fact that you cant play ANY of the mainline pokemon games on the switch (other than the ones that are exclusives to switch)
Nintendo does absolutelly jackshit about game preservation, having the files and cartridges lost in some warehouse where no one can access them is NOT game preservation.
Thats not game preservation, that's access. They are totally different concepts.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • thinking_hard
Status
Not open for further replies.