How is Emulation supposed to be "Game Preservation"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Ok, then let me rephrase it. There is no legal way to aquire it directly from the publisher or developer.
If you need an example: There is no way to buy the original Ace Combat directly from Bandai Namco. I do actually have an original copy of this game that I got used, but when I did buy it, neither Bandai or the people that worked in making the game get any compensation from it. The guy who sold me, did.
But I did play the game before through emulation, and neither Bandai or the people that worked in making the game get any compensation from it.

I do agree that its bad that the games are no longer available and theres no way to obtain a new copy but since you are infringing on copyright by downloading (and potentially spreading) the ROMs. You are in fact obtaing content in a format that you shouldn't normally have.

Companies cannot allow this because it would be exploited to devalue their products and potential future impact to re-releases. Law makers cannot allow this either, because it creates a chink in the armor of copyright.

If copyright was drastically changed, emulation could be permitted if releases could be said to expire after a certain time of inactivity or unavailability on the market.

even if the law and technicalities do not allow for this type of preservation, it still cannot stop the enthustiasts from doing it either way. Console generations are in themselves a must in terms of progression as they fill a unique niche today.

To emulate the PS2 for example,you have to use the PS2 bios which is the entirelythe property of Sony even if you dump the one in your console, so as long as you launch a game it's piracy and it's illegal. That being said since no company make money with ps2 games anymore it's a bit of a grey area.

The way for everyone to win is it just release all of these games onto an emulator, and the games should be made available to purchase on modern hardware. If a licence holder wants to restrict access tell them to stfu and take their paycheque.

Last edited:

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
It's like a concert, if you miss out on it you miss out on it. The legacy is preserved for video recordings of the event like how Mario maker is preserved through video retrospectives.

You can't keep the concert going on for ever just like you can't keep the Mario maker servers up forever.
If only there was a way you could preserve a game, and content you bought, without official servers. If only. Maybe they should start doing what you're advocating for other media? "Oh sorry you missed the screening, you can't watch it anymore.", "Oh sorry you bought that digital TV show, but we're closing the servers, if you want to watch your purchase again check out a YouTube video."

If you don't own what you buy, because games are only yours to play for limited times and it's illegal to play them after that, then emulating/pirating them cannot be theft. Games are not things, but services, so I guess emulating games is fare evasion because you're gaining access without a ticket.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Let me just go into your bank account and take your money, you should be happy to share right?

most people who emulate don't care about game preservation. They just want free entertainment
Except for the fact that paying customers lose access to their games/content and you're trying to pretend they're somehow thieves because they want what they paid for.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Let me just go into your bank account and take your money, you should be happy to share right?

most people who emulate don't care about game preservation. They just want free entertainment
If you could infinitely copy the money in my bank account, I would be happy to share.

Why do you look down with disdain on *people* wanting free entertainment?

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Imagine if people, or banks, could copy your bank account....
12UP-Keynes-superJumbo.jpg

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The connection between me buying your book and you getting paid is far from direct. I would prefer if you just got a permanent income for being a writer. And I can get the same for writing software I find interesting.
Lord patron of the the arts, what kind of yearly stipend are you offering?

• haha
Reactions: Sircaw

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I will say as a person who writes my own books + short stories; I would be livid if people copied/distributed my works without consent.
I make music. Copying my music without my permission is definitely stealing my property. But keep on bending that spine of yours.
False equivalency....games aren't made by 1 person....they're made by a team of dozens, sometimes hundreds. And not owned by any one person but by corporations.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
False equivalency....games aren't made by 1 person....they're made by a team of dozens, sometimes hundreds. And not owned by any one person but by corporations.
The point stands. There is a legal entity (person or corporation) that had their copy rights infriged in all of those scenarios.

• they're_right_you_know

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
This does not make sense in any capacity at all. You can go all the way to the top of the food chain, but the fact is someone owns those works.

Today, I am going to the petrol station, fill up a tank full of petrol, and leave without paying.
Next, I will head to my local supermarket and pack a trolly up and once again, just leave without paying.

Fuck those corporations hey.

Reactions: Box

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The point stands.
No it doesn't

This does not make sense in any capacity at all. You can go all the way to the top of the food chain, but the fact is someone owns those works.

Today, I am going to the petrol station, fill up a tank full of petrol, and leave without paying.
Next, I will head to my local supermarket and pack a trolly up and once again, just leave without paying.

Fuck those corporations hey.
this aint it

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
You guys are scraping the bottom of the barrel for arguments 😂😂 It's safe to say the pro emulation and piracy team won this round 😎 I give you guys an A for effort.

We can close this thread now.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Music masters are also usually owned by corporations and not the musicians. Does a musicians art become free game for piracy because Sony bought the master?

You guys are squirling around so much to justify piracy that it's actually funny.

Reactions: Sircaw and Box

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You guys are scraping the bottom of the barrel for arguments 😂😂 It's safe to say the pro emulation and piracy team won this round 😎 I give you guys an A for effort.

We can close this thread now.
Sure, Jan. You won so much that you denied this was about piracy and now openly admit it. Thanks for playing.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
fucking mental gymnastics to justify pirating.

we all done that in life, and people will do it always, it is not a rocket science. own it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Ok, that's enough.

We are closing this thread, not because the pirates "won", but because it's getting out of hand.

If we ever find anyone, especially the pirates that just outed themselves in this thread advocating for piracy, they will be banned.

IconEra does not condone piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.