How many current 3rd party games in development does Sony own?

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Trying to compile current games in development by 3rd parties and published by Sony in which Sony owns the IP.

We have seen it in the past with Death Stranding, Demons Souls and Bloodborne.

Helldivers and Firewall are also owned by Sony.

Pretty cheap and effective way of building your IP library.

Sony should sign more deals with independent 3rd party developers in which they own the IP.

Stellar Blade isn’t from what I checked.

Have no idea about the China Hero projects.

Rise of the Ronin is a mystery too.

Pretty sure EA is doing something similar with their EA Originals label.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
All I know is Death Stranding....they dropped the ball with Quantic Dream.

Sony owns Beyond Two Souls and Detroit Become Human.

Quantic Dream owns Heavy Rain.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony owns Beyond Two Souls and Detroit Become Human.

Quantic Dream owns Heavy Rain.

They should've acquired them, that was a perfect partnership that made sense like Housemarque and Insomniac.

OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
They should've acquired them, that was a perfect partnership that made sense like Housemarque and Insomniac.

They were gonna acquire them untiI David Cage had a fallout with Sony regarding Censorship/Nudity in Detroit become human..

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Probably just a few:

FromSoft: 1
SE: 2
Koei Tecmo:2
Bandai Namco: 1(VR)
Kojima:1
Cygames: 2(1 just got annouced recently)
Capcom: 3(2 VR)

Not sure about other. Konami lends Sony 1 IP so that counts?

Not sure about western devs. Don't ask me details or sources. All are exclusives and not just marketing deals

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddasar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Currently in development they own none of the Chinese or Korean IPs including Stellar Blade.

Neither is Rise of the Ronin.
If it is owned by Sony it is not 3rd-party game but 1st-party game.
For example Death Stranding is a 1st-party game.

From what I understand from the OP is that you want 3rd-party games funded by Sony and so exclusives to PlayStation... there is a lot... a lot already announced and a lot not announced.

Now if you really want 1st-party game developed by 3rd-party developer I can only say Death Stranding.
Because all others 3rd-party studios working in 1st-party games were adquire by Sony in the last 3 years.

OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
If it is owned by Sony it is not 3rd-party game but 1st-party game.
For example Death Stranding is a 1st-party game.

From what I understand from the OP is that you want 3rd-party games funded by Sony and so exclusives to PlayStation... there is a lot... a lot already announced and a lot not announced.

Now if you really want 1st-party game developed by 3rd-party developer I can only say Death Stranding.
Because all others 3rd-party studios working in 1st-party games were adquire by Sony in the last 3 years.

I posted this thread. I can’t edit the title.

Yes I mean game IPs published and owned by Sony but developed by 3rd Party.

I want Sony to own the IPs too. Exclusive is not enough.

Sony doesn’t acquire all the time.

Death Stranding belongs to Sony but Kojima Productions is still independent.

Same with Demons Souls/Bloodborne and FromSoftware.

Reactions: ethomaz

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Currently in development they own none of the Chinese or Korean IPs including Stellar Blade.

Neither is Rise of the Ronin.
It's like Sony hasn't learned anything and just want to leave as many doors open as possible for their competition to take advantage of that in the future. Makes you wonder how exposed games like Spider-man and Wolverine to show up in other platforms in the future.

Death Stranding and MLB already ended up showing up on Gamepass, clearly MS is paying attention.

The lack of Sony games developed by third-party devs in another clear indication that they are not investing as much in traditional games. MS has Avalanche, Kojima, Crystal Dynamics, Asobo Studio, Relic Entertainment, People Can Fly, Stoic, all working on Xbox published games where they'll most likely control the IPs.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I posted this thread. I can’t edit the title.

Yes I mean game IPs published and owned by Sony but developed by 3rd Party.

I want Sony to own the IPs too. Exclusive is not enough.

Sony doesn’t acquire all the time.

Death Stranding belongs to Sony but Kojima Productions is still independent.

Same with Demons Souls/Bloodborne and FromSoftware.
In that case I believe there is only Death Stranding announced.

Perrott

21 Jun 2022
Dropped what ball? It was a studio with a trash internal culture, legal issues, talent bleed. Sony was good to walk away.
Yet their games scream PlayStation first-party.

I would have acquired them regardless of the toxic workplace allegations and given David Cage and his people and ultimatum of no more bullshit, not because its the right thing to do, but because it makes everyone involved look bad in the press.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I listed the 1st party Sony games in this other thread. Out of them, the 2nd party ones (the ones published by Sony but developed by studios not owned by them) I did remember were are:
  • Firewall Ultra (August 24, 2023)
  • Stellar Blade (2023)
  • Helldivers 2 (2023)
  • Rise of the Ronin (2024)
  • Death Stranding 2 (TBA, maybe 2024/2025?)
  • Horizon Online if rumors are true that it's codeveloped/developed by Asian team (TBA, I bet 2025)
  • Deviation's new IP (TBA, maybe cancelled or rebooted I'd say 2026)
  • Project Boundary (China Hero Project)
  • Lost Soul Aside (China Hero Project)
  • Convallaria (China Hero Project)
  • RAN: Lost Islands (China Hero Project)
  • Exiledge (China Hero Project)
  • AI-Limit (China Hero Project)
  • Daba: Land of Water (China Hero Project)
  • Dark Star (China Hero Project)
  • The Wind Rising (China Hero Project)
  • The God Slayer (China Hero Project)
  • Awaken: Astral Blade (China Hero Project)
  • Will-less (China Hero Project)
  • Evotiction (China Hero Project)
  • Unannounced Ballistic Moon (former Until Daw/Supermassive devs) new IP
Trying to compile current games in development by 3rd parties and published by Sony in which Sony owns the IP.
The games I listed are 2nd party games. In most cases, the platform holder -in this case Sony- also owns the IP, but not always.

As an example, in many cases like smaller games, as maybe could be these China Hero Project games, the dev is the one who owns the IP and he role of the platform holder is basically only to support them with funding, publishing and marketing while at the exchange of some kind of exclusivity.

There are also cases like Nioh, where Sony only publishes in some specific markets and the dev keeps the IP and maybe publishes with them or someone else in other countries. There are also cases where Sony owns the IP and allows the dev publish the game with other publisher in other platform (cases of Death Stranding or Quantic Dream) or in other countries (the original Demon's Souls).

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Muddasar