Hypocrite Spencer: If we’re just growing and Sony’s shrinking, that doesn’t help anybody

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
“I don’t know if I did a great job,” he says of the chat. “My fundamental point was that we’re not here to grow at the expense of the other players. Our plan is to help grow the industry and obviously to get our share of that growth. Sometimes from members of the press, definitely from members of the community … you need your Spider-Man, you need your God of War, you need to go create a movie or a television series that’s as good as The Last of Us. And what I try to get through to people – and I don’t always do it the best way – is that’s not our strategy.
If we’re just growing and Sony’s shrinking, that doesn’t help anybody. Maybe if all you care about is Xbox success versus Sony’s success, but in terms of an industry, it doesn’t help Electronic Arts. It doesn’t help Ubisoft, it doesn’t help Fortnite. It doesn’t help anybody if all we’re doing is trading one customer for another customer on a different console.”

Dude has no shame

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This man is a cancer to gaming. I usually don't detest people but truly cannot stand that snake oil sales man. And it's a shame no one has the guts to call him out. And Sony reps are too busy playing Kumbaya with him on Twitter.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I don’t know if I did a great job

200w.gif

17 Jun 2023
He seems like a nice guy, however people tend to forget that he flip flops his messaging for almost a decade now. Though… seemingly being a nice guy gives him a pass to the xbox super fans.

Its not rocket science… other companies have invested hundreds of millions into their studios, and instead… because you have the massive capital of MS. You choose to instead spend billions purchasing third party pubs.

How this plays out in the future for them, I do not know… however leadership has to change, and it has clearly not been working out for them.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
He seems like a nice guy, however people tend to forget that he flip flops his messaging for almost a decade now. Though… seemingly being a nice guy gives him a pass to the xbox super fans.

Its not rocket science… other companies have invested hundreds of millions into their studios, and instead… because you have the massive capital of MS. You choose to instead spend billions purchasing third party pubs.

How this plays out in the future for them, I do not know… however leadership has to change, and it has clearly not been working out for them.
To me the worst part is that he was put in charge of Xbox studios in 2008 yet people don't think he is to blame for what happened with their games output in the last 15 years.

Xbox when Phil Spencer had a smaller role put out drastically better games.

Before 2008 the under-performing part of Xbox Studios was precisely the European division that Phil Spencer happened to be responsible for (Lionhead and Rare being completely trashed).

Dude is all talk and no results.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
With all these purchases they're making, I'm pretty sure they are exactly trying to shrink PlayStation and make the experience worse on that platform.
Or atleast slowly push them out of the west since they seem to only be focusing the bigger publishers that conveniently make a large sum of money from PlayStation.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Of course it doesn’t help anybody, they’d have to trade sales revenue for shared subscriptions sales.
Knowing Phil Spencer and how he usually says the opposite of what he means, this is probably an indication that part of his plans involves purposefully hurting third party publisher sales and to make them reliant on Gamepass and subservient to MS.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Sometimes from members of the press, definitely from members of the community

You mean the shill press like Jez Corden and Destin, who spin FUD attacking PlayStation in the name of the console brand you head? You mean members of the community like Crapdealer and Colteastwood who do the same regularly, let alone other rabid fanboys?

Always read between the lines when Phil Spencer is speaking. The more he talks, the more of a passive-aggressive tone it seems like takes. There were shades of that in the interview with him and Matt Booty talking to Jeff, Lucy & that other dude.

He seems to virtue-signal about not wanting to compete by traditional means, but he works for a company that grew by competing (and monopolizing its share of competition) through those same means, often squeezing other smaller competitors out of the market space. Which to an extent all companies have done, including Sony, but Microsoft are an exception in the degree of anticompetitive tactics they used historically to get to where they are today. Xbox is a beneficiary of that; when you look into the motivations for the division's creation they are founded explicitly on the concept of traditional competition and squeezing out direct competitors, specifically Sony PlayStation.

When I see statements like this paired with actual actions the division makes such as looking to acquire more 3P publishers (cutting off the total number of independent 3P publishers on the market a competitor like Sony can actually work with directly, which incidentally hurts PlayStation customers), and the statements they've made to get regulatory approval for the ABK deal, how various Xbox executives openly associate with console warriors who basically want to reduce PlayStation to 3rd place to "win the console war", etc...

...quite honestly Phils' words are worth less than a penny. Let your actions do the talking, not your mouth.