Hypocrite Spencer: If we’re just growing and Sony’s shrinking, that doesn’t help anybody

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sony ends up following MS anywhere they go, so if xbox sales are down PS sales are down. MS releases 30fps games? This is a new trend they are setting for Sony to follow!

Every single thing, this is always like that, Sony has to copy MS.
This looks like sarcasm but it's the truth. Current Sony constantly caving to western media smear campaigns. They started the PS5 era so smooth. But it's been blunder after blunder. They are lucky they have such an incompetent competitior otherwise their crown would have been taken long ago. It's annoying to see that they learnt nothing since 2006 other then to avoid Five Ninety Nine.

Reactions: nongkris

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Nobody is talking about revenue. Xbox revenue is also expanding going by this horrible pivot.
Market share is usually measured by revenue, actually, and that's what Sony's chart uses which shows their projected market share increasing.

image.png

Xbox revenue is indeed expanding given that they're buying a bunch of revenue generating assets.

• Informative
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Market share is usually measured by revenue, actually, and that's what Sony's chart uses which shows their projected market share increasing.

image.png

Xbox revenue is indeed expanding given that they're buying a bunch of revenue generating assets.
The comment I replied to was obviously referring to sales. Console sales.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Ok, but that's not meaningful if you have a difference in console retail prices. The relatively cheap DS, Switch, other handhelds etc. can't be compared 1:1 with high end home consoles.
Gaming is one market. They all share the pie. The Wii Won the 7th generation it was not a high end. Nintendo expanded their market share.... It's yet to be seen about PS5.

I don't see it selling more than the PS4 but that's my opinion. Nintendo has eaten into Playstation's market share... Xbox has seceded market share which has propped up PS5, so far.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Gaming is one market. They all share the pie. The Wii Won the 7th generation it was not a high end. Nintendo expanded their market share.... It's yet to be seen about PS5.

I don't see it selling more than the PS4 but that's my opinion. Nintendo has eaten into Playstation's market share... Xbox has seceded market share which has propped up PS5, so far.
You don’t know what you’re talking about. Yeah PS made a big blunder with the PS3 but they have rebounded since with the PS4 and PS5. They did it by investing in their 1st party studios, hitting on the right price point with the PS4 and PS5, making their consoles easy to develop for again, and by making the right 2nd and 3rd party exclusive deals. I bet you’re a Nintendo fanboy. Lol

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
You don’t know what you’re talking about. Yeah PS made a big blunder with the PS3 but they have rebounded since with the PS4 and PS5. They did it by investing in their 1st party studios, hitting on the right price point with the PS4 and PS5, making their consoles easy to develop for again, and by making the right 2nd and 3rd party exclusive deals. I bet you’re a Nintendo fanboy. Lol
PS4 was the first PlayStation that was easy to develop for. The PS1 and PS2 required a lot of work to get the best out of, but we’re popular enough that developers willingly fought through the learning curve.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Lord Mittens

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The irony of claiming I don't know what I speak about when you replied with a whole bunch of nothing? What exactly are you trying to get across here? As I don't see the correlation at all?

But thanks for telling us the history of Playstation as if everyone here isn't aware of it.

Interesting... So I went from being an Xbox Fanboy last week? to now being a Nintendo fanboy? Some of you on this forum are literally mentally unhinged...

PS... PS3 wasn't a blunder, easily the best Playstation system. Hopefully one day that Playstation / Sony will return. Modern Day Sony is weak as fuck.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

I actually can't see anyone talking about unit sales in this thread so I think you're on your own with this tangent.

It might be the case that PS5 doesn't sell as many units as the PS4, but if it sells close to it at a higher retail price with a larger digital share and more add-on transactions, that's more revenue for Sony. And if Sony's growing at a faster pace than the rest of the market, then their market share is growing.

I won't even use a hypothetical - 125m switch units and 10 mil WiiU units results in a smaller market share than 117m PS4 units on hardware sales alone.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I actually can't see anyone talking about unit sales in this thread so I think you're on your own with this tangent.

It might be the case that PS5 doesn't sell as many units as the PS4, but if it sells close to it at a higher retail price with a larger digital share and more add-on transactions, that's more revenue for Sony. And if Sony's growing at a faster pace than the rest of the market, then their market share is growing.

I won't even use a hypothetical - 125m switch units and 10 mil WiiU units results in a smaller market share than 117m PS4 units on hardware sales alone.
When gamers refer to market share I promise you nobody is referring to revenue. It is sales. When Jim Ryan said they wanted 50% of the console market share, I promise you he wasn't referring to revenue lol. It is sales. Xbox market share declining clearly wasn't about revenue.

Again, we won't have a full picture on PS5 until two years from now, the system was basically a lottery sale until late last year... The sales momentum has already slowed.... If they can get to 60+ million like they projected by next march? Then I'm fully onboard with them growing their market share.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
When gamers refer to market share I promise you nobody is referring to revenue. It is sales. When Jim Ryan said they wanted 50% of the console market share, I promise you he wasn't referring to revenue lol. It is sales.

How dare you lie to me.

As part of the firm's IR Day, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan also detailed new growth opportunities around launching games on other platforms, expanding its PlayStation Studios line-up, cloud gaming and VR.

After highlighting the growth PlayStation saw during 2020, including its record-breaking 7.8 million launch year shipments of PS5, the firm says it hopes to achieved over 50% market share in console games revenue with PS5.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Of all the gaming executives, this guy has been the worst by far, but somehow has kept his leadership position longer than almost anyone else. Just shows how insignificant Xbox is for Microsoft

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
How dare you lie to me.

Okay fair enough with the Jim Ryan quote I never read that article just saw the quote. But I stand by the fact revenue was not bejfy discussed here. Until you brought it up.

You yourself admitted Xbox revenues have expanded so clearly sales were being implied.

I'm not gonna keep doing this back and forth however.

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Of all the gaming executives, this guy has been the worst by far, but somehow has kept his leadership position longer than almost anyone else. Just shows how insignificant Xbox is for Microsoft
Yea, they dont care that much. Use few billions to cover yearly loses. Although Salty Nutela was agressive so far. If AB deal wasnt scrutinised they d buy some more pubs. They dont care about industry or creativity. They just want piece of pie, buy some talent.