Hypothetical discussion should Microsoft acquisition of Activision fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Activision wouldnt die. Theyd have to reorganize and maybe take a year off of COD, but they certainly wouldnt die.

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
That is what I think? I listed even an example of similar case where Twitter is now is in a really bad situation.
Elon Musk basically damaged Twitter and left it way worst than what it was before the fake deal.

Can you imagine Activision receiving the blow if MS deal don't go thought? If not die they will be in a very poor situation financially.
Twitter is in a bad situation pr wise because it’s been exposed for having an over inflated user base with many bot accounts. Share wise it’s perfectly fine, last week all green.

I can’t see the parallels to Activision.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
After Tencent's investment, I doubt
Tencent isn't on the board of Ubisoft. Or Guillemont Bros the company that owns the biggest chunk of Ubisoft.

And Ubisoft has repeatedly said the board is still open to offers.

Tencent won't care, they will get paid the fuck out, which is the point of their investments in the first place (since they aren't in control of Ubisoft or Epic or most of the companies they threw money at.)

If anything the G Bros selling 49% of their company proves they want cash lol I think they'd love to sell out, if the price was right. They just don't want a hostile takeover.. that's 100% different.. protecting yourself from a hostile takeover does not indicate you won't sell. You just want the board of directors deciding all together, and not some rogue contingent + large stock grabs.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
People already knew Twitter was full of bots...

Twitter knows it's full of bots.

Nobody can actually 100% predict who is/isn't a "bot" or "Fake account" either.

The whole thing is a bunch of hot air over a platform nobody really trusted the numbers of anyways 100%.

That's my point, nothing was "exposed"... it's shit we already knew. And no specifics were "Exposed" anyways, it's just Elon screaming that the bot numbers aren't accurate.. and we don't even know if Twitters numbers are/aren't accurate either way. They could be, or they might not be... nobody proved anything.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Also if the deal fails ....

MS should do what they should have always been trying to do. You know. Just make really high quality games. It's not rocket science. Seems like they've been trying everything but that.

BTW, doesn't it seem fairly obvious the Bungie purchase is Sony's way to try and combat COD leaving the platform? They have six years or so right? And they have committed to making multi platform games. So it seems to me that putting that together is going to be their likely focus over the coming years. I really don't think COD is going to be "top dog" in six years under Microsoft's management anyway. So I don't think the deal is going to amount to much.

Just like the Rare deal meant nothing for Nintendo, even though at the time it felt like Nintendo was swirling the drain in doing so. Rare hasn't produced one single classic since it left Nintendo's stable.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Honestly guys, Playstation without Call of Duty might bring the best Playstation years for gamers.
Yes, it looks financially bad for Sony, but it will unleash quality.
I say let that acquisition happen, and let COD go.

BadBurger

3 Jul 2022
If it fails Activision should look into releasing their next CoD on PS Plus, see how it performs on the best deal in gaming subscription and with a bigger audience to boot.

Should make a killing in microtransactions.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
People already knew Twitter was full of bots...

Twitter knows it's full of bots.

Nobody can actually 100% predict who is/isn't a "bot" or "Fake account" either.

The whole thing is a bunch of hot air over a platform nobody really trusted the numbers of anyways 100%.

That's my point, nothing was "exposed"... it's shit we already knew. And no specifics were "Exposed" anyways, it's just Elon screaming that the bot numbers aren't accurate.. and we don't even know if Twitters numbers are/aren't accurate either way. They could be, or they might not be... nobody proved anything.
Twitter says 5% or less. Outside sources seem to disagree. Disney backing up what Elon was saying could be interpreted as them being "exposed." Only point I was trying to make. Denying all of that seems to be ignoring what Twitter says about the matter.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Twitter says 5% or less. Outside sources seem to disagree. Disney backing up what Elon was saying could be interpreted as them being "exposed." Only point I was trying to make. Denying all of that seems to be ignoring what Twitter says about the matter.
Disney literally said:

He said that, with Twitter's help, Disney had learned that "a substantial portion - not a majority -" of users were fake.

So how is Iger saying "Twitter told us the bot problem was substantial which is why we also got cold feet" EXPOSING twitter?

Elon is lying either way, all he cares about is his TSLA stock plummeting partly due to the Twitter deal and how that stock price plummeting effected his financing of Twitter. The man BOUGHT the damn company already, which is the issue lol He signed the dotted lines and just wants to bail before the keys are handed over and is screaming about "bots."

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Disney literally said:

So how is Iger saying "Twitter told us the bot problem was substantial which is why we also got cold feet" EXPOSING twitter?

Elon is lying either way, all he cares about is his TSLA stock plummeting partly due to the Twitter deal and how that stock price plummeting effected his financing of Twitter. The man BOUGHT the damn company already, which is the issue lol He signed the dotted lines and just wants to bail before the keys are handed over and is screaming about "bots."
Because people did not know this information before, so therefore bringing it to light "exposes" the truth. You can't see that interpretation? it's a valid take. This is all in the news recently, i.e. it's .... "news." As in new information. People can make all the assumptions they want, but data coming out sheds new light on situations.

Reactions: Shmunter

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Probably overpay for Ubisoft.
Tencent isn't on the board of Ubisoft. Or Guillemont Bros the company that owns the biggest chunk of Ubisoft.

And Ubisoft has repeatedly said the board is still open to offers.

Tencent won't care, they will get paid the fuck out, which is the point of their investments in the first place (since they aren't in control of Ubisoft or Epic or most of the companies they threw money at.)

If anything the G Bros selling 49% of their company proves they want cash lol I think they'd love to sell out, if the price was right. They just don't want a hostile takeover.. that's 100% different.. protecting yourself from a hostile takeover does not indicate you won't sell. You just want the board of directors deciding all together, and not some rogue contingent + large stock grabs.
Tencent only rised their ownership of Ubisoft from 5% to almost 10%, promising to don't ask for a seat in board of directors (as happens with the rest of main shareholders, who are banks and investment funds who like Tencent support the Guillemot brothers), to don't sell Ubisoft stock in at least 5 years and to don't buy more stocks in at least 8 years.

The Guillemot stocks, the stocks owned by the company itself, the stocks of the Ubisoft workers and the stocks of the main shareholders (who in voting support the Guillemots in almost a 100%) combined should make around or almost half of total Ubisoft shares.

The other Guillemot Brothers company where Tencent invested 300M to get the 49.99% was to give the Guillemot brothers cash and help them own a bigger chunk of Ubisoft. This other company is unrelated to Ubisoft and is only to manage the personal stocks of the Guillemot family not only in Ubisoft, but in more places there. To invest there doesn't give Tencent Ubisoft stocks or helps Tencent control that company: with this move they make their bond with the Guillemots stronger.

The Guillemot wanted a partner to help them keep control of Ubisoft and protect it from hostile takeovers from someone who could ask them to change their vision, way of working, etc. Someone who wouldn't tell them to do stuff in other way and who wouldn't want to acquire the company. This partner has been Tencent.

They said multiple times that didn't want to sell, that were looking for a partner to protect themselves from being bought and they got that partner and did the move.

So they won't sell Ubisoft.

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Because people did not know this information before, so therefore bringing it to light "exposes" the truth. You can't see that interpretation? it's a valid take. This is all in the news recently, i.e. it's .... "news." As in new information. People can make all the assumptions they want, but data coming out sheds new light on situations.

There is also the security whistleblower recently slamming the Twitter for lying about a number of things…. https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/interactive/2022/twitter-whistleblower-sec-spam/

Anyway, too off topic.

Reactions: Dr Bass

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I replied some things in the thread but I didn't reply the OP question, if the acquisition should fail or not:

I think it should be allowed because MS, even adding ABK:
  • Is far from having any monopoly in gaming or in any gaming market (mobile, console, PC, VR, game subs and pretty likely the tiny market that is cloud gaming)
  • Is far from being market leader in gaming or in any gaming market (mobile, console etc)
  • Barely has slightly above 10% of market share in gaming and in many markets have several companies with more market share than them
  • Same goes if instead of revenue we look at players, they also have smaller userbase than other companies and a small portion of the total
  • So in fact, by allowing this acquisition -and even to make CoD exclusive- would help to have some competition, it wouldn't hurt it

Obi-Wan

Hello there!
24 Jun 2022
If this deal is killed, we can probably assume any similar deal for a big publisher would be.

Therefore it would probably make sense to go back to small acquisitions like Ninja Theory.

As much as I enjoy the hypothesis though, I don’t think it will be. Microsoft wants these acquisitions largely for GamePass, and their vision of a streaming future, and I think they’ll make whatever concessions on the console side of things (what regulators seem worried about), to make that happen, including even longer term CoD PlayStation commitments.

They mostly don’t care, as long as it’s on GamePass and only streams on that.

Reactions: Bryank75
Status
Not open for further replies.