I love how last gen all these ‘next gen’ only games look

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13

That makes absolutely no sense. A new generation defines itself so a game made for PS5/Xbox Series X that makes the most out of it is current gen by definition, just like it was the case for every generation that came before. If you have some outlandish expectation that not even high-end Nvidia/AMD GPUs clearly something isn't right with your definition of what current-gen/next-gen means.
Exactly. Everyone has their own definition. We need a standard non-subjective one. Should we say any game that's only written for PS5/XSX is considered next-gen? What if the game has the exact same features developed last gen with no RT? Should a game with RT of just one feature be considered next-gen or several RT features? If a game has no Nanite for high res geometry, should it be considered last-gen? Etc..etc.. I'll discuss it later though.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Exactly. Everyone has their own definition. We need a standard non-subjective one. Should we say any game that's only written for PS5/XSX is considered next-gen? What if the game has the exact same features developed last gen with no RT? Should a game with RT of just one feature be considered next-gen or several RT features? If a game has no Nanite for high res geometry, should it be considered last-gen? Etc..etc.. I'll discuss it later though.
Since when do we need a standard non-subjective definition for something that hardly matters that is probably subjective by definition anyway?

RT this, RT that, Unreal 5, boring.

So to you what were eighth gen games?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Didn't know you had surgery. Any program you can dictate / speech to text it?
Just an idea. I see my kids use those sometimes.
Microsoft Word has a dictate button.
6RDItK4.png

• thisistheway
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
We'll see how they do in a situation without baked lighting. Point is the technology for now is pretty much ceiling'd.

Until games start looking like the cg trailers theres still a long way to go

And by then CG trailers will look even better. They already scaled back TLOU 2 from the E3 gameplay demo they showed

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I don’t think it’s a problem of power.
It’s probably a problem of diminishing returns and is just difficult to make games look better than tlou2 all of sudden

azertydu91

4 Jul 2022
It'll have to wait for my right hand from surgery to heal. I think I will write it.
Oh I hope you'll recover well and that you aren't too handicapped by it, especially if you are right handed (there's 90% chance that you are).

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
I don’t think it’s a problem of power.
It’s probably a problem of diminishing returns and is just difficult to make games look better than tlou2 all of sudden
Getting the max of of the hardware is out of reach now for most developers.

The limits now for most games are time, money, and resources. Not CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
PS5 and XSX are capable of calculating much more complex physics, animations, and AI, but I don't think developers has the resources to put all of that in games. 90% of developers switched back to pixel games because they simply have no money to build 3d games.

Ass of Can Whooping

9 Jul 2022
It's just become a marketing ploy more than anything. Obviously it's still beneficial to do away with last gen, but Gotham Knights, Redfall, Hell even Demon's Souls, Returnal and Starfield. All of these games could have gotten last-gen ports and I doubt it would have affected current gen in any capacity.

With all the talk about bloated development budgets and games taking to long to make, I've come to terms with "next-gen" being a once in a blue moon experience from a very small subset of developers.

I think even Rockstar is going to start dialing it down eventually. I doubt they're happy with how long it's taking them push out games.

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It's just become a marketing ploy more than anything. Obviously it's still beneficial to do away with last gen, but Gotham Knights, Redfall, Hell even Demon's Souls, Returnal and Starfield. All of these games could have gotten last-gen ports and I doubt it would have affected current gen in any capacity.

With all the talk about bloated development budgets and games taking to long to make, I've come to terms with "next-gen" being a once in a blue moon experience from a very small subset of developers.

I think even Rockstar is going to start dialing it down eventually. I doubt they're happy with how long it's taking them push out games.
Disagree on Returnal, would be surprised if it was able to run without a SSD, and Demon Souls would have to so significantly reduce asset complexity, it would look like a different game. If you watch the NoClip documentary on the making of Demon Souls for PS5 you will see what I mean.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022

Welcome Ass Can, great news we have the real @Jim Ryan here with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.