I love how last gen all these ‘next gen’ only games look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Everyone complained, whined, and moaned about how game devs need to drop last gen, and how much sony is fucking up “making” their new games last gen. So what did they all do? They simply dropped last gen consoles but didn’t actually make next gen games and now they can charge you 70 dollars for it lol

FXFUlBXWAAE0zCJ

Horizon Forbidden West is the best looking game I’ve every played and im sure Ragnarok is going to be eye melting, but that carried outrage for being cross-gen and these games look an entire generation behind but its ok because “they are moving on”?

I hate gamers

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yeah, it really hit me during the Gotham Knights footage.... the enemies and background characters and animations almost looked 360 level or worse to me.
Very low standard compared to what I expected and a lot of these games seem to be live service or have live service elements.

Which is why I get quite apprehensive about PlayStation and their GAAS roadmap.

A huge issue when leadership is more profit focused than user-acquisition focused or quality and reputation focused.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hobbygaming and LED

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
It will depend on the studio making the game and the difference between AK and gotham knights is indeed shocking

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
It's a combination of diminishing returns, software/engine technology not advancing that quickly and the reality that both the Series X and PlayStation 5 are of roughly the same hardware feature sets as their predecessors bar the capability of Ray Tracing.

Don't expect too much, we've reached the point of single percentage point increases graphically.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 13

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I dunno, hard to say how that game would look if they went for the "bright skyline" approach.. because the models/textures otherwise are quite a bit beyond what you'd see w/ the Arkham games on last gen hardware. That's really the difference between the 2 shots presented.

But either way I agree w/ your point; cross-gen whining is lame.. games early in a gen, especially those with massive scope, are going to be limited by the fact they have to start with last-gen roots anyways. Only smaller scope games can really be "from the ground up" on next-gen early in the gen.

Just play fun games people.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
To play devil's advocate, wont UE5 solve this seeming-half-effort compared to older games when game devs jump upwards?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Personally I don’t mind as long as the “gameplay” is next gen enough. I mean, games like VII Remake, RE2 and TLOU are already good enough.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
The Last of Us Part I is current gen only but so far it looks very much like The Last of Us Part II (one of the best looking game from last gen, but still a last gen game). At least it's an indication that Sony will be done with crossgen games after God of War Ragnarok.

Starfield also doesn't look current gen at all and was even shown struggling to run at 30fps on the Series X.

It has been clear for a while for me that hardware isn't the limiting factor anymore regarding how good a game can look it's all about budget and time. That is why some games like RDR2 and TLoU2 look so good despite being last gen or how Horizon Forbidden West looks so good despite being crossgen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

It's a combination of diminishing returns, software/engine technology not advancing that quickly and the reality that both the Series X and PlayStation 5 are of roughly the same hardware feature sets as their predecessors bar the capability of Ray Tracing.

Don't expect too much, we've reached the point of single percentage point increases graphically.
This.

I should make a thread called "What does Next-Gen even mean?" So much subjectivity in it that we really need to come up with some objective facts to define the meaning. The hardware right now is just not enough - and that includes the highend Nvidia/AMD GPUs. This generation will not see a big jump like people are expecting IMO.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This.

I should make a thread called "What does Next-Gen even mean?" So much subjectivity in it that we really need to come up with some objective facts to define the meaning. The hardware right now is just not enough - and that includes the highend Nvidia/AMD GPUs. This generation will not see a big jump like people are expecting IMO.

That would be a great read. Hope you write it. ♥️

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It would appear a lot of companies are dropping last gen, but for the wrong reasons! With a bit more time and optimisation I'm pretty sure you could run Gotham Knights on the Xbox one (lowest common denominator) But in a way I can also blame MS as instead of having to optimise for one Xbox this gen, it's two. There's a reason why before the consoles launched that certain dev stated they didn't like the XSS, it just makes more work for optimisation teams.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
This.

That makes absolutely no sense. A new generation defines itself so a game made for PS5/Xbox Series X that makes the most out of it is current gen by definition, just like it was the case for every generation that came before. If you have some outlandish expectation that not even high-end Nvidia/AMD GPUs clearly something isn't right with your definition of what current-gen/next-gen means.

Current-gen is for you something that can't run on the hardware we have available and that can't be made by any studio right now? Lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.