I think a lot of the angst in gaming atm has to do with Sony and Nintendo not showing their new games

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Personally, this generation has been great to excellent for me and will most likely end up being my best generation because im getting the best of all three worlds. A lot of great multi-platform games, great Sony and Microsoft games. Outside of a game here and there being a disappointment, no major issues or negatives whatsoever. Nintendo wise, im just waiting on seeing what Switch 2 is.

Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Senki Dala

11 Aug 2024
France
I also like this generation. We have fully backcompat consoles, a lot of the new games are great... I don't really get the negativity. Sure the gap between consoles, visually, become smaller and smaller, especially with the Pro consoles, but it's ok to me.

Nintendo and Sony not showing anything is obviously because the next PS5 games will use the "power" of the Pro and they want introduce those games the best way possible and for Nintendo it is same but for the Switch 2.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If you don't believe me that most of the angst is driven by frustration and jealousy by xbox cultists just go look at the gaf thread on FF7 rebirth, we have adamsapple in there trying to claim it has writing as bad as forspoken (which itself was unfairly criticized, even though it ended up being an average game the writing is nowhere near as bad as was claimed). They take every opportunity to lie about and denigrate playstation exclusives, even ones that are game of the generation quality. Remember when god of war ragnarok was "just a DLC"? Remember when "PSVR2 has no games"? Remember when Horizon Forbidden West wasn't next gen looking because they had a downgraded version on PS4? Remember when they were port begging so bad for the best selling game of the year Helldivers 2 when they could've just played it on PC or PS5 that they all claim to own?

Senki Dala

11 Aug 2024
France
If you don't believe me that most of the angst is driven by frustration and jealousy by xbox cultists just go look at the gaf thread on FF7 rebirth, we have adamsapple in there trying to claim it has writing as bad as forspoken (which itself was unfairly criticized, even though it ended up being an average game the writing is nowhere near as bad as was claimed). They take every opportunity to lie about and denigrate playstation exclusives, even ones that are game of the generation quality. Remember when god of war ragnarok was "just a DLC"? Remember when "PSVR2 has no games"? Remember when Horizon Forbidden West wasn't next gen looking because they had a downgraded version on PS4? Remember when they were port begging so bad for the best selling game of the year Helldivers 2 when they could've just played it on PC or PS5 that they all claim to own?
Well, while I partially agree with you, it just depends of people. On PS or Nintendo or Xbox there are retared fanboys who'd do anything and say any shit to defend "their brand". Like some people shitted on Hellblade while it was console exclusive on PS4 and when it came on Xbox and worst when MS acquired Ninja Theory, it became a masterpiece.

But also, a lot of time those are different persons talking. The Xboxfanboy1 who is saying that Hellblade is shit while it's on PS4 isn't always the same than Xboxfanboy 2 who says that it's awesome when it arrives on Xbox. It can be the same persons but not always.

About adamsapple with who I talked a couple of time on GAF, he owns a PS5, he plays on it, he prefers to play all the multiplat games on Xbox but that's nothing wrong, everbody have preferences.

As a gamer who plays on all consoles since a long time, trust me all "dumb fanboys" are the same, and no "team" is greater than another... I've been posting on a French gaming sites for decades, a site who was focused on Xbox at first but became multiplat, when I sold my Xbox to buy a PS4 people called me "a traitor", "a coward"... for a video games consoles... When I defend Sony I am a PS fanboy, same when I like something about Nintendo...

Being a fan is great. Being a fanboy is dumb.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well, while I partially agree with you, it just depends of people. On PS or Nintendo or Xbox there are retared fanboys who'd do anything and say any shit to defend "their brand". Like some people shitted on Hellblade while it was console exclusive on PS4 and when it came on Xbox and worst when MS acquired Ninja Theory, it became a masterpiece.

But also, a lot of time those are different persons talking. The Xboxfanboy1 who is saying that Hellblade is shit while it's on PS4 isn't always the same than Xboxfanboy 2 who says that it's awesome when it arrives on Xbox. It can be the same persons but not always.

About adamsapple with who I talked a couple of time on GAF, he owns a PS5, he plays on it, he prefers to play all the multiplat games on Xbox but that's nothing wrong, everbody have preferences.

As a gamer who plays on all consoles since a long time, trust me all "dumb fanboys" are the same, and no "team" is greater than another... I've been posting on a French gaming sites for decades, a site who was focused on Xbox at first but became multiplat, when I sold my Xbox to buy a PS4 people called me "a traitor", "a coward"... for a video games consoles... When I defend Sony I am a PS fanboy, same when I like something about Nintendo...

Being a fan is great. Being a fanboy is dumb.
you need to stick around more if you think adamsapple is someone who just has a ps5 and prefers to play games on xbox. He's got a tag for a reason. The problem with it is the concept of 'poisoning the well'. Xbox fans in media and gaming forums have injected toxic negativity towards playstation and those memes have inculcated a permanently critical mindset that now dominates the discourse. Sony isn't perfect, Playstation isn't perfect. But you'd think that they had absolutely zero games based on how people talk, even people who say they're Playstation fans. As someone who is a PC gamer main, it's honestly baffling. Even PS fans seem like they are constantly grasping for more console war ammo like they're out of water in the Sahara desert when the war is already over, and Sony/Nintendo are the last ones standing. There are plenty of high quality games that are only on PS, or PS/PC. And most of the people who are complaining aren't going to play on PC. It's honestly baffling. I have complaints about the Sony corporate leadership prioritizing short term profits over long term growth, but you'd think that PS was going to go out of business with the way people talk about it.

24 Jun 2022
@anonpuffs I agree that a lot of the pessimistic anti-PS takes this gen are coming from disgruntled Xbox fanboys and Western games journalists. But at the same time, you'd think people at SIE would know this and care enough to do something about it.

Instead they give people like Parris free game copies to review, when guys like Parris have said some of the most blatant anti-PS FUD over the years. SIE seemingly don't care about the bad narratives that they've let Xbox diehards (and nowadays, Steam diehards in the PC community) drive against PlayStation enthusiasts...so why should we? Why should we "fight" that battle?

I got bored of doing so, and so I've stopped. Every now and again there may be such blatantly false anti-PS stuff that comes out that I feel compelled to reply, but outside of that I just don't bother. If SIE had better communication with their enthusiast base in online spaces, if they had better organization & prioritization of messaging, better messaging cadence etc., then the problems & FUD that stem from a lot of Western games "journalists" trying to control & shape narratives, or various console fanboys, wouldn't matter. They wouldn't matter because they'd have a hell of a harder time sticking in the first place.

So much gaming discourse revolves around Microsoft and, we've known about their astroturfing and funding to various media outlets for years (didn't they pay Eurogamer or Polygon money to do an Xbox documentary a few years ago?). SIE could've really shored up against that stuff and prevent it from taking such a stronghold over gaming news and discourse. Instead they ignored it, they cancelled in-person events like E3 and PlayStation Experience, and they have no one who comes out to check people like Phil Spencer who want to blame the entire industry for Xbox's problems.

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Xbox has great shows every year, not sure what a show can do more then build hype for a little time.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
@anonpuffs I agree that a lot of the pessimistic anti-PS takes this gen are coming from disgruntled Xbox fanboys and Western games journalists. But at the same time, you'd think people at SIE would know this and care enough to do something about it.

Instead they give people like Parris free game copies to review, when guys like Parris have said some of the most blatant anti-PS FUD over the years. SIE seemingly don't care about the bad narratives that they've let Xbox diehards (and nowadays, Steam diehards in the PC community) drive against PlayStation enthusiasts...so why should we? Why should we "fight" that battle?

I got bored of doing so, and so I've stopped. Every now and again there may be such blatantly false anti-PS stuff that comes out that I feel compelled to reply, but outside of that I just don't bother. If SIE had better communication with their enthusiast base in online spaces, if they had better organization & prioritization of messaging, better messaging cadence etc., then the problems & FUD that stem from a lot of Western games "journalists" trying to control & shape narratives, or various console fanboys, wouldn't matter. They wouldn't matter because they'd have a hell of a harder time sticking in the first place.

So much gaming discourse revolves around Microsoft and, we've known about their astroturfing and funding to various media outlets for years (didn't they pay Eurogamer or Polygon money to do an Xbox documentary a few years ago?). SIE could've really shored up against that stuff and prevent it from taking such a stronghold over gaming news and discourse. Instead they ignored it, they cancelled in-person events like E3 and PlayStation Experience, and they have no one who comes out to check people like Phil Spencer who want to blame the entire industry for Xbox's problems.
Sony does play too nice with people who have made it clear they're going to be antagonistic to them. I don't know if it's because Sony's being naive, or because their marketing department are asleep at the wheel. Regardless if I tune out the chatter, I can't lie and say I am not having a good generation on PS5. Maybe someone who only likes naughty dog games can say that, but thankfully I'm not someone like that.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Go back and watch the 2022 e3 Xbox showcase. It promised all games would release in 12 months.

Why put out a big blowout show that promises and waste momentum? Covid did a number on Sony studios but the partnerships have carried the load.

Would ye be happier to see Cory Barlog's project 3 years ago and nothing since? Perfect Dark was announced years ago and nothing until the recent Summer show. Like what was the point of the original announcement? A cheap cheer at the cost of momentum. News articles that the game was in development hell.

Sony have moved away from a big blowout as you only dominate the news for one day as opposed to drip feeding that keeps them in the news. If it wasn't working, Sony would stop it.

Reactions: Zzero

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
PS5 is having a good generation from a 2nd party / 3rd party perspective. The generation absolutely started out amazing with first party support and I won't lie I was extremely optimistic about the generation back in June and September 2020... When they had those amazing State of Plays. I was extremely Happy the communication as well.

But, I dunno something shifted once all the games Shu had left in the pipeline before he had stepped down for overseeing PS studios. Once Jim and Hermens GaaS / PC initiative really took a foothold and Jim scaling back on communication and marketing... There has been a slight discontent.

I don't buy PlayStation for only first party support but it has played a huge factor since PS3 era.

I'm not totally dissatisfied with them either, as I guess I am one of the few who is genuinely excited for Concord and of course Astrobot, so that's two first party titles coming up I will enjoy.

But at this stage, they also owe it to PS5 owners to show them just what is coming and what to expect.... There's no need to be cagey and secretive about what SSM, Housemarque, Sony Bend, Naughty Dog are working on anymore...

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
i bet a lot of developers at these studios and studio heads feel bad or guilty when another state of play or showcase goes by and people are disappointed their games aren’t in it.

I can imagine being a developer at naughty dog and going an entire generation so far without anything to put on my resume.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Again, since 2021 there has been the worst showcase in video game history, 13 PC port announcements, 2 gaas, and 1 (one) Single player game announcement (Astro Bot).
If you honestly think this then you must have watched like five of them, total. There was a Switch partner direct back in, I think, 2019 that showed off a Bakugan game and nothing else. There was the Xbox One reveal showcase which dedicated only one segment to a single game and that game was Madden. There was a Microsoft showcase a few months ago where the only thing showcased was that four of their games were going to Playstation.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
If you honestly think this then you must have watched like five of them, total. There was a Switch partner direct back in, I think, 2019 that showed off a Bakugan game and nothing else. There was the Xbox One reveal showcase which dedicated only one segment to a single game and that game was Madden. There was a Microsoft showcase a few months ago where the only thing showcased was that four of their games were going to Playstation.
A partner direct is not a gaming showcase lmao... and no the Xbox One reveal had more than just Madden. It also had Quantum Break which was better than anything (new) shown at the PlayStation 2023 showcase

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The state of play in jan was actually pretty good. Legendary hulst and kojima black jacket announcement and i nice look at DS2

Kojima Creating Physint Due To Demand For Metal Gear Solid

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
A partner direct is not a gaming showcase lmao... and no the Xbox One reveal had more than just Madden. It also had Quantum Break which was better than anything (new) shown at the PlayStation 2023 showcase
If you just wanted it to be E3 conference equivalents then you should have stated as much. And, having just looked up what was in the PS 2024 showcase I can firmly state that you are high as fuck if you think that was the "worst showcase ever". It had trailers for Spiderman and FF16 and the reveal of four GaaS- at least one of which (Helldivers) turned out to be the most important release so far this year regardless of platform. For those who have forgotten, this is what he's complaining about. And let me tell you, that god damn laps a lot of conferences. Its certainly better than any games showcase Nintendo has put out this year, its far better than the Wii U reveal event. Far better than the Xbox One reveal event (Quantum Break is so forgettable that I am on its Wikipedia page reading about it right now and I still don't know what it is,) far better than Nintendo's 2020 event where they announced... uhhh... straight ports of 3 old Mario games for 60 dollars.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
If you just wanted it to be E3 conference equivalents then you should have stated as much. And, having just looked up what was in the PS 2024 showcase I can firmly state that you are high as fuck if you think that was the "worst showcase ever". It had trailers for Spiderman and FF16 and the reveal of four GaaS- at least one of which (Helldivers) turned out to be the most important release so far this year regardless of platform. For those who have forgotten, this is what he's complaining about. And let me tell you, that god damn laps a lot of conferences. Its certainly better than any games showcase Nintendo has put out this year, its far better than the Wii U reveal event. Far better than the Xbox One reveal event (Quantum Break is so forgettable that I am on its Wikipedia page reading about it right now and I still don't know what it is,) far better than Nintendo's 2020 event where they announced... uhhh... straight ports of 3 old Mario games for 60 dollars.
You don't even know what Quantum Break is? 😂 You need to get out of your little Nintendo bubble more often bro. And why are you ignoring the part where I said NEW reveals....? FF16 and Spider-Man 2 were already revealed before that showcase, extra footage isn't noteworthy when we were already sold on it.

Another thing, you're completely ignoring context and expectations. The only one that's high is you. No one has crazy expectations for a damn partner direct 🤦‍♂️ That showcase was the first PlayStation showcase in 18 months, the expectations were through the roof and for good reason. And it completely failed to deliver in a major way, an extreme disappointment. Go look at the IconEra thread...even the biggest fans in here were disappointed with it. You're not a PS fan so I don't expect you to understand how important that showcase was...but it was, and we're still feeling the rippling effects of it to this day.

Look at the excitement through out the first 12 pages of the thread and then the utter disappointment in the latter 10 pages, the stark contrast is actually hilarious 😂 and just proves my point that it WAS the WORST SHOWCASE IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY!!!!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You don't even know what Quantum Break is? 😂 You need to get out of your little Nintendo bubble more often bro. And why are you ignoring the part where I said NEW reveals....? FF16 and Spider-Man 2 were already revealed before that showcase, extra footage isn't noteworthy when we were already sold on it.

Another thing, you're completely ignoring context and expectations. The only one that's high is you. No one has crazy expectations for a damn partner direct 🤦‍♂️ That showcase was the first PlayStation showcase in 18 months, the expectations were through the roof and for good reason. And it completely failed to deliver in a major way, an extreme disappointment. Go look at the IconEra thread...even the biggest fans in here were disappointed with it. You're not a PS fan so I don't expect you to understand how important that showcase was...but it was, and we're still feeling the rippling effects of it to this day.

Look at the excitement through out the first 12 pages of the thread and then the utter disappointment in the latter 10 pages, the stark contrast is actually hilarious 😂 and just proves my point that it WAS the WORST SHOWCASE IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY!!!!

It announced the launch of a game that sold 12 million copies in 3 months, clearly a massive success. And three other games that haven't released yet. I don't play online modes very often and wouldn't pick up any of the titles even if free but its ridiculous of you to discount that many games, one of which is from one of the best western studios of all time, before they even launch.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
It announced the launch of a game that sold 12 million copies in 3 months, clearly a massive success. And three other games that haven't released yet.
Who cares...1 decent game makes it a successful showcase? gtfoh 😂 Especially a game that a lot of PS fans couldn't care less about....

one of which is from one of the best western studios of all time, before they even launch.
What game are you talking about?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Who cares...1 decent game makes it a successful showcase? gtfoh 😂 Especially a game that a lot of PS fans couldn't care less about....

What game are you talking about?
Destiny. You're blind if you can't recognize Bungie's quality.