IconEra Pride Month Close Out Party - The Last of Us 2 Tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 140

The biggest complaint I thought I saw was they turned Joel into a complete moron for no reason other than serving some shock value.

I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone has anything against Ellie as she was well liked in part 1 and we already knew about the way she swung in that game.

I think most people were just mad they did Joel dirty. Not everyone of course. But most.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

Yes they kinda just sacrificed him, which was a shame and definitely played a role I think! Although from a character development perspective, I don't know how much the writers at ND could get out of him. I guess they decided it was for the better to use him, to push other characters with more potential at this point.

But I also saw a lot of people screaming about lesbians, gay propaganda and such, which made me sad.

There were definitely multiple facets to this! I would love to see a parallel timeline where they killed Ellie and we would then play as Joel, what possible impact that would have on sales.

Either way, it was a bold choice by ND!

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
completely overrated game. This like a fisher price my-first-horror game. Ellie and the other characters look like arse as well. 😂

ugly, pretentious game that's rooted in this out-of-date 2010's walking dead aesthetic. The scruffy beards, gross clothes, survival aesthetic is sooooo last decade. add in that the developers are the most entitled, privileged, self-centered group of children and you have a firm 1/10 game imo. graphics, mechanics, and technical aspects take a back seat to the 'message' these toxic clowns want to force down gamer's throats.

tldr; outdated, ugly design, gross & toxic developers, toxic story, but still technically best-in-class. too bad money can't buy respect.

don't ever play this game. it's trash and so are naughty dog. as someone who grew up on REAL horror games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, TLOU 1 and 2 are child's play. 😂
Where Druckmann touch you improperly? 😂

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
The biggest complaint I thought I saw was they turned Joel into a complete moron for no reason other than serving some shock value.

I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone has anything against Ellie as she was well liked in part 1 and we already knew about the way she swung in that game.

I think most people were just mad they did Joel dirty. Not everyone of course. But most.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

The "Joel was dumb" stuff is stupid, I've seen it so many times but it beggars belief, what was he meant to do? He was in an impossible situation. Freeze to death, be eaten, or trust this girl who just helped save you, those were the options seemingly.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I would rather that Abby and Ellie had to join forces and maybe use Ellie's immunity to save the world! I also want Ellie to get back with Dina but maybe a love triangle where Ellie meets anther girl that reminds her of Riley and shes torn between the two
i think by the time we come back to the Last of Us universe the world will be beyond saving. As far as the virus goes.

I’d like to see a last of us universe expand a bit more on the concept of rebuilding society. Something optimistic

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I personally am still hoping for a director cut or DLC where Ellie is able to patch things up with Dina but who knows if well ever get one.
This sounds too much like a dating sim thing... Even TLoU 2 is a bit too much on the melodramatic side for me.

I would rather ND release a game that focuses more on the encounters/action, with shorter and less frequent interruptions (however I like to search around for stuff and I also like a good story/lore).

• brain
Reactions: EbonyRainbow

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This sounds too much like a dating sim thing... Even TLoU 2 is a bit too much on the melodramatic side for me.

I would rather ND release a game that focuses more on the encounters/action, with shorter and less frequent interruptions (however I like to search around for stuff and I also like a good story/lore).

The one thing from my hypothetical story I wrote on here, I would love for Abbie and Ellie while trying to find this hidden compound find one thats been abandoned. And there are more infected here, the deeper they go the worse the infected become.

And similar to the campus in last of us part 1 there's computers, files and recordings of tests that we learn of different mutations like the rat king in LOU2. I think reading up that as time has gone one the spore has mutated and people with immunities have started to be discovered.

Meaning ellie probably was one of the first, but seeing that there are others that are immune and some of the testing done was to see at what rate the spores affected the individuals.

I want more of that. Outside of the hospital stuff in last of us part 2, there wasn't as much lore. Part 1 had a lot of more lore for survivors but also in the second half about the infection itself.

OP
OP
EbonyRainbow

EbonyRainbow

They / Them
24 Jun 2022
i think by the time we come back to the Last of Us universe the world will be beyond saving. As far as the virus goes.

I’d like to see a last of us universe expand a bit more on the concept of rebuilding society. Something optimistic

The one thing from my hypothetical story I wrote on here, I would love for Abbie and Ellie while trying to find this hidden compound find one thats been abandoned. And there are more infected here, the deeper they go the worse the infected become.

And similar to the campus in last of us part 1 there's computers, files and recordings of tests that we learn of different mutations like the rat king in LOU2. I think reading up that as time has gone one the spore has mutated and people with immunities have started to be discovered.

Meaning ellie probably was one of the first, but seeing that there are others that are immune and some of the testing done was to see at what rate the spores affected the individuals.

I want more of that. Outside of the hospital stuff in last of us part 2, there wasn't as much lore. Part 1 had a lot of more lore for survivors but also in the second half about the infection itself.
I'm so happy you all partook in the thread and share the same love for the series as I do. I don't have much more to say except I really like your ideas!

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
The "Joel was dumb" stuff is stupid, I've seen it so many times but it beggars belief, what was he meant to do? He was in an impossible situation. Freeze to death, be eaten, or trust this girl who just helped save you, those were the options seemingly.

Although I prefer Joel and that gutted me, ND were so brave to do such a thing. All other games go the safe route, same with movies/series. You rarely see a main character die, which should be an option.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

I think they should drop the current characters and move to a knew country and new people. Honestly, the current story became convoluted and complicated that the developer will find himself switching on the fan service mode which always kills franchises.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think they should drop the current characters and move to a knew country and new people. Honestly, the current story became convoluted and complicated that the developer will find himself switching on the fan service mode which always kills franchises.

Thats what Factions is. Not a new country but new region, new characters, new stories.

The reason I still love the mainline series is that they haven’t done any fan service. They turned ellie into a blood thirsty villain (almost) and killed their beloved POV character from the first game. Uncharted is Naughty Dogs “safe” Game and The Last of US is the game where they just throw all the rules out.

Really wish Horizon, Ghost, and the other sony franchises eventually get as subversive with their narratives. Sometimes just playing the good guy gets boring

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Although I prefer Joel and that gutted me, ND were so brave to do such a thing. All other games go the safe route, same with movies/series. You rarely see a main character die, which should be an option.
I think that the canned woke type response did not help (and probably made the perception of that move worst): "Joel was toxic and bad, plus he was somehow wrong" (I paraphrase).

- I don't see how one really brilliant scientist/doctor would be likely to succeed in creating a treatment/vaccine in such circumstances... at the very least how you can make it such a clear cut wrong to think that sacrificing a kid to this project is a good idea.

That whole part of the narrative is where I see a failure to tackle the ethical question properly, they had a really grey zone here where Joel is not necessarily bad, nor are the fireflies... however I find their side way too confident in the outcome, as is ND.

The whole revenge story makes sense to me.

I think I should go replay the game.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I think that the canned woke type response did not help (and probably made the perception of that move worst): "Joel was toxic and bad, plus he was somehow wrong" (I paraphrase).

- I don't see how one really brilliant scientist/doctor would be likely to succeed in creating a treatment/vaccine in such circumstances... at the very least how you can make it such a clear cut wrong to think that sacrificing a kid to this project is a good idea.

That whole part of the narrative is where I see a failure to tackle the ethical question properly, they had a really grey zone here where Joel is not necessarily bad, nor are the fireflies... however I find their side way too confident in the outcome, as is ND.

The whole revenge story makes sense to me.

I think I should go replay the game.

Yeah I don't remember it being explained why she should die to even "try" to make a cure that is uncertain to work. Joel wasn't bad at all, everyone says so is a complete stupid. Also Ellie pushing him away hard makes no sense to me, that's a flaw in the story.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah I don't remember it being explained why she should die to even "try" to make a cure that is uncertain to work. Joel wasn't bad at all, everyone says so is a complete stupid. Also Ellie pushing him away hard makes no sense to me, that's a flaw in the story.
There was an interview with Neil D. where he stated that Joel was definitely wrong not to trust in the outcome of the experiment 100%, so this part is in the lore.

I'm not sure for Ellie, she did push him away in one of those "I don't need your protection" type deal when he tried to intervene for her against the "generic toxic white man" and also was upset that she did not get to sacrifice herself to save humanity... and he lied about that, repeatedly. So I'm not sure how she should have reacted, that does seem overblown, but some people are melodramatic like this I guess.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Psycho Ellie was mad at Joel for "robbing her of her choice" but she never had the choice to begin with in TLOU1. The doctor was going to kill her and use her brain. There was never any choice.

Big big flaw. The whole narrative of TLOU2 fell apart to me because of it. They will fix that in the remake by making Joel the bad man for rescuing her 😡

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Psycho Ellie was mad at Joel for "robbing her of her choice" but she never had the choice to begin with in TLOU1. The doctor was going to kill her and use her brain. There was never any choice.

Big big flaw. The whole narrative of TLOU2 fell apart to me because of it. They will fix that in the remake by making Joel the bad man for rescuing her 😡

I don’t think it was just about choice, it was about her purpose. Living in a post apocalyptic world and seeing her former best friend and probably so many loved ones die to the virus she probably felt like she was destined for greater things. Her death could have meant something for the greater good of humanity, and while she didn’t have a choice back then she definitely doesn’t have one now.

Now she’s just another ordinary person counting off days in a shitty fucked up world. It’s like someone stepping on the radioactive spider that gave peter parker his powers, and then later on telling him he would have been a super hero. She has to live the rest of her days as a common person while knowing she has the potential cure for the virus inside of her that people are still dying from.

You also have to consider how excited Ellie was to be a part of the Fireflies. She really believed in them, and then to be transported across the country and have them pretty much killed off to save her is a mindfuck within itself, especially Marlene who was her defunct caretaker before Joel.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
One day maybe gamers will accept games being as mature as stuff you can watch on HBO
People should accept that games are their own and each developer makes the game he wants to make. You buy and play what you like.
I do not buy or play multiplayer games, but I don't think people has to accept that all games has to be single player.

Status
Not open for further replies.