If Factions 2 isn't revealed soon Sony screwed up

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
The Last of us has never been more top of mind. Show is a zeitgeist moment, sales of the games have exploded, people are replaying the games and doing twitch playthroughs again

If Sony miss this window to reveal Factions 2 before the end of the season would you consider it a marketing screw up?

Heck even if it wasn't in the plans they get 9 weeks to prepare something to show once it became obvious how popular the show is

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Not really. Show is giving a huge boost to both TLOU1 remaster and the sequel. They could easily make a bigger splash with a season 2.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
The Last of us has never been more top of mind. Show is a zeitgeist moment, sales of the games have exploded, people are replaying the games and doing twitch playthroughs again

If Sony miss this window to reveal Factions 2 before the end of the season would you consider it a marketing screw up?

Heck even if it wasn't in the plans they get 9 weeks to prepare something to show once it became obvious how popular the show is
They'll be fine dude. That's an overexaggeration. Faction will most likely be revealed in the Summer time for a Fall release date. My personal prediction.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It screwed when launched TLOU2 without MP.

There was a time when a tacked on PvP mode was expected from everything. Tomb Raider? Sure. Even Metroid Prime 2 had PvP.

I think their pursuit of something far more ambitious is a bit more interesting eh?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There was a time when a tacked on PvP mode was expected from everything. Tomb Raider? Sure. Even Metroid Prime 2 had PvP.

I think their pursuit of something far more ambitious is a bit more interesting eh?
Yes it is.

But not having on TLOU2 was a bit let down after TLOU having it… it is the precedent… I never expected Uncharted 2 to have MP but I expected TLOU2 to have it.

They could have launched a MP like the first Factions for TLOU2 and after work in something more ambitious in a spin off form.

OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
They'll be fine dude. That's an overexaggeration. Faction will most likely be revealed in the Summer time for a Fall release date. My personal prediction.
Didn't say they wouldn't be fine but they are in an ideal place to make a huge splash with a reveal now with all eyes on them, casuals and core gamers alike

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Not really. Think of it this way: it's already top on your mind. Why would they add to it with diminishing returns being a reality and all?

Wouldn't it be more strategic to let the show run its course, TLOU P1 get another round of marketing and sales, followed by another round of hype, marketing, and sales for TLOU P2 by people who want to know what happens next.

Then, when the TLOU mindshare starts to deflate a bit, reveal TLOU Online, the next big chapter in the TLOU universe?

The new marketing reality is that people have an ever-shrinking attention span. Instead of a big dump, small marketing doses for sustained hype is a better solution (ala Nintendo Directs and State of Play, instead of a big E3 show).

OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Not really. Think of it this way: it's already top on your mind. Why would they add to it with diminishing returns being a reality and all?

Wouldn't it be more strategic to let the show run its course, TLOU P1 get another round of marketing and sales, followed by another round of hype, marketing, and sales for TLOU P2 by people who want to know what happens next.

Then, when the TLOU mindshare starts to deflate a bit, reveal TLOU Online, the next big chapter in the TLOU universe?

The new marketing reality is that people have an ever-shrinking attention span. Instead of a big dump, small marketing doses for sustained hype is a better solution (ala Nintendo Directs and State of Play, instead of a big E3 show).
Because they have the attention right now of a far broader audience who may not necessarily play Factions but could get caught up in the interest generated.

The cast and crew are also getting across news and talkshow placements which would be an ideal opportunity to plug the upcoming project

A traditional game reveal in July will capture the attention of gamers but unlikely to find the wider audience that are engaging with the show now and won't be engaging with it again until season 2

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
You're right OP, the game it was originally supposed to ship with came out like 3 years ago. Naughty Dog is really dropping the ball because in the world of streaming the next hit show is literally a click away. Something tells me that they aren't going to reveal Factions in a month in time for the show finale let alone release it. Also if they try to charge for a multiplayer only game instead of being free to play it will be as dead as Destruction All stars on launch

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Smartest release window would actually be to do-ordinate with the Blu-Ray/4K disc releases in July. The PC port of Part I is already overlapping with the TV broadcasts and they’d be smarter not to put both games out in the same window.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They should make an announcement, like a small gameplay teaser or release window, but they won't because their marketing never makes sense.

They just drop stuff randomly and then complete silence for 2 years 🙄

Reactions: Yobo

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
You're right OP, the game it was originally supposed to ship with came out like 3 years ago. Naughty Dog is really dropping the ball because in the world of streaming the next hit show is literally a click away. Something tells me that they aren't going to reveal Factions in a month in time for the show finale let alone release it. Also if they try to charge for a multiplayer only game instead of being free to play it will be as dead as Destruction All stars on launch
The show is great because of the game, not the other way around least we forget.

Whatever Naughty Dog releases next will succeed in its own merits or doesn’t deserve it anyway.

Reactions: Satoru

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Kinda agree. Unless they prepare huge marketing campaign.

Also bigger question s if its going to be paid or f2p. If its paid mp game it ll dead on arival. If they re smart it ll be f2p.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Kinda agree. Unless they prepare huge marketing campaign.

Also bigger question s if its going to be paid or f2p. If its paid mp game it ll dead on arival. If they re smart it ll be f2p.

Semi agree. They can release it paid, but it can't go beyond the 20 or 30 quid threshold. Then they can make money from cosmetic mtx. I'd be afraid of fully free though, because it may not generate the necessary cash. Maybe free for part 1 or part 2 owners?

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The game started development in the second half of 2020.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Semi agree. They can release it paid, but it can't go beyond the 20 or 30 quid threshold. Then they can make money from cosmetic mtx. I'd be afraid of fully free though, because it may not generate the necessary cash. Maybe free for part 1 or part 2 owners?
$20 max. If they try some bullshit like charging $70 and getting the single players of TLOU/TLOU2 included it won't fly