If Gamepass does not go big by 2027, Microsoft may pull out of gaming!

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
This is their fault alone.

The console and PC videogame market always depended on a steady output of quality videogames. When studios started releasing trash, we got a videogame crash.
And I think Microsoft actually started quite well with the OG Xbox and X360. But a decade ago Microsoft looked at how much money the GaaS smartphone videogame market could do and how controllable it was (i.e. more reliant on addiction dynamics than videogame quality), and thought they could turn the Console + PC market into the GaaS smartphone market, by continually throwing money at it.

Now they have billions upon billions of losses on studio acquisitions and 3rd party games on their service, but no matter how many times they pay for articles praising Gamepass, they can't go over a number that consists basically of their installed console base plus a bunch of PC gamers.

They could have changed their internal dev studios' policies with lower reliance on public funding and subcontracting, better and closer studio oversight and organic studio growth, to just get a steady output of quality videogames. But I guess that's too much to ask of Phil Spencer and Microsoft's C-levels who think they can just buy more studios and "leave them alone", assuming there will never be any culture clash between people, policies and work methods.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They could have changed their internal dev studios' policies with lower reliance on public funding and subcontracting, better and closer studio oversight and organic studio growth, to just get a steady output of quality videogames. But I guess that's too much to ask of Phil Spencer and Microsoft's C-levels who think they can just buy more studios and "leave them alone", assuming there will never be any culture clash between people, policies and work methods.

Bold of you to assume they have a hands-off approach. That's what Phil likes to say, but a hands-off approach would have not meddled with the development of Redfall, for example.

Lack of effective leadership =/= hands-off approach. Phil just can't take any responsibility.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

Now we know the date, let's go to work!

More information in @Gamernyc78 post below with infographics and article text.

Now that would be the best thing literally to ever happen
giphy.gif

Vaz

Old Guard
24 Jun 2022
Poor ol' Phil, he will be spending the next 12 months playing boardroom politics just to save his ass.

These reports and emails from Phil sound like my college year surveys and "data-backed" essays. I was bullshitting out of my ass, and the professor ate it up.

The board has to wake up to this disaster class. Sell some IPs before its too late

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Poor ol' Phil, he will be spending the next 12 months playing boardroom politics just to save his ass.

These reports and emails from Phil sound like my college year surveys and "data-backed" essays. I was bullshitting out of my ass, and the professor ate it up.

The board has to wake up to this disaster class. Sell some IPs before its too late
With all this coming out, I could conceive of MS pulling out of the Activison deal just to calm the board down. Dumping another $80 billion down the shitter is not going to be popular with the information in the leak.

Vaz

Old Guard
24 Jun 2022
With all this coming out, I could conceive of MS pulling out of the Activison deal just to calm the board down. Dumping another $80 billion down the shitter is not going to be popular with the information in the leak.
If MS pull out of Activision, I'd say they will close Xbox division within 4 years too.

OP
OP
Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
If MS pull out of Activision, I'd say they will close Xbox division within 4 years too.

If things don't suddenly explode in popularity for them, I think that could be inevitable.