If Sony released a handheld, would it take priority for you? Or would you still be mainly PS5?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
If the rumors are true and Sony has a new handheld device on the way, would you game more on that or the home console?

Also, would you buy a PS handheld or a PS5 Pro if you had to choose?

Does a new PSP excite you?

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think it would help gamers with less time for themselves: like young parents, guys who study, traveling people etc.
If Sony should release next Generation a PS6 + a portable SKU of the PS6 I would still buy both. But I would probably spend more time on the portable variant of PS6. It's just more comfortable after a long day.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
It depends on the games that handheld plays.

For years I wanted a handheld that played PS4 games, but right now I couldn't care less because I already own a Steam Deck and a Legion Go (and owned a ROG Ally before that).

If it's a dedicated platform that requires developers to make games for it then I'm out, because odds are Sony will launch the hardware and then just forget it exists without relevant 1st party support, like they did with the Vita and PSVR2.

If it's a console that plays PS5 games then I'm frantically pressing F5 within the first seconds that pre-orders open up.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Also I think Sony will benefit from a portable SKU of PS6 in Asia and especially in Japan. We know the Japanese and Asian people have a booked solid schedule per day (work for example). This could help Sony gaining markershare back in Japan against Nintendo. Remember out of 16.7m PS Vita, approximately 7m units were somd alone in Japan...

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ummm, Im mostly a home and TV gamer, my switch has probably been played off the dock like twice lol.

But as Im traveling alot more now, I would be using PSP3 all the time. And sometimes in random areas in Japan, villages, mountains and temples I have no access to internet so the portal really doesnt so much for me.

An offline PS5 library sharing PSP3 would be great. While Im home I would probably stick to PS5 but if Im traveling a PSP3 would be perfect. So maybe 50% of the time. Depends on if Im traveling or not

Reactions: Entropi

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
Not a chance, I want the full next-gen experience. I don't buy hardware to play at 720p 20 fps. Nintendo fans may pretend it's fine for them but Sony fans have always had higher standards.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Now that all their games release on PC a Sony portable is a lot less compelling to me, it would need to be a much better value than the Steam Deck and support physical media.

Im also not a PS+ subscriber anymore, another reson why a PSP doesnt apeal to me anymore, feels like they missed the timing and lost me as a costumer.

Physical media and GTA6 tmtemporary exclusivity are all that keeps me from selling my PS5 and moving on.

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
With current direction PlayStation is heading, I don't know if I'd even consider buying it.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I work via full home office so barely go outside.
In that case PS5 will be my main.

When I worked outside office and had to take a bus travel of 1 hours to go and 1 hour to back I should play more on handheld… including at the launch time.

But on weekend it should be full PS5.

So maybe 50/50 in a whole week.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Not a chance, I want the full next-gen experience. I don't buy hardware to play at 720p 20 fps. Nintendo fans may pretend it's fine for them but Sony fans have always had higher standards.

Off topic, I like your pfp. An Evil Aloy is a cool concept... wonder if we will get in the next game or down the line.

Reactions: Evil Aloy

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If the rumors are true and Sony has a new handheld device on the way, would you game more on that or the home console?

I didn't buy PS4 Pro and won't buy the PS5 Pro. I went from full BC PS3 > base PS4 > PS5 with extra SSD and my idea is to jump next to base PS6.

I had PSP 1000 (lost it, was stolen), PSP 3000 and PS Vita.

I'd get a new PSP, but nowadays I'd request it to feature cross-buy, cross-play, cross-save and shared trophies for all games, plus obviously remote play and cloud gaming. Something I think they'll only achieve making it a PC handheld reusing their upcoming PC PSN store.

Assuming it will have a decent pricing (I assume will be released as next gen successor of PS Player), there's a single thing that will decide if it's sucessful or a total failure: If devs are required to develop specific games and ports only for it or not. If specific versions are required, no major publisher, even Sony, will support it after some launch projects. If it just run their PC and mobile games like a Steamdeck, then I think will be a big success and will dominate the PC handheld market.

I assume it will have a 1080p screen, which combined with the next gen DLSS technique that Sony apparently has in the works will help there to put there even PS6 big games.

Reactions: Bryank75

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Can any portable players let me know where you play your portable and how frequently?

I have a vita for my occasional flying trips but outside of that, I'm reading, writing or punching out Z's and drooling on windows.

• brain

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

Well it would be the same eco system all completely digital so it’s pretty much a portal that can play games natively and it wouldn’t have a separate library of games. There wouldn’t be a need to change your gaming habits. The handle can be treated as just an extinction of the console. Any ps console/ handheld is say 1 for me.

• Shake