[IGN] Dragon's Dogma 2 NPCs Were Thinking Too Hard

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
dragons-dogma-ii-male-npcs-v0-jjtjl9g0g6cc1.jpg

- Original Source from Famitsu: https://www.famitsu.com/article/202410/20868

"...in sequences where many NPCs appear at the same time, such as in towns, the load on the CPU was very high, which affected the frame rate. Because the CPU was the bottleneck, reducing the load on the GPU side, such as lowering the resolution, had little effect on improving the frame rate."

In response, Capcom has been "reviewing the processing of NPC thoughts and making fine adjustments such as the execution order of each process in updates since the release." As a result, Dragon's Dogma 2 now has graphics quality settings that allow it to be played at "approximately 50 to 60fps' on PS5 and Xbox Series X."

I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma 2 when I played it on PC back in March. However, for as fun as it was, even I have to admit there were some frame drops in cities. It's fun to see that the theorized solution at launch of murdering all the NPCs in towns was, indeed, a legitimate method of improving framerate.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I'm actually very onboard for a game to come along with "ground breaking" AI. I'm so tired of dumb AI in video games.

The issue with NPC AI is that we've seen quite a lot of examples where heavy AI routines are barely noticed by the vast majority of players. Is it actually a worthwhile trade for a city to tank performance for like 5% of players to actually notice and potentially make use of NPCs in a small number of instances? Most of the time, no.

Everything has a cost in video games and certain things are just not worth the performance trade off.

It's why we don't have things like this in game:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I found this game to be very physical feeling. The movement, physics, monsters reactiing and navigating, npcs feeling dynamic

TIS A LADDER ARISEN
ladder GIF

OP
OP
DarkLordOtaku

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
The issue with NPC AI is that we've seen quite a lot of examples where heavy AI routines are barely noticed by the vast majority of players. Is it actually a worthwhile trade for a city to tank performance for like 5% of players to actually notice and potentially make use of NPCs in a small number of instances? Most of the time, no.

Everything has a cost in video games and certain things are just not worth the performance trade off.

It's why we don't have things like this in game:

True, but hardware is always progressing as well. Hopefully, as progress is made on that front, it might be a realistic feature for games in the coming decade.