IGN receives marching orders from Xbox HQ: "Build a PC as powerful as PS5 Pro"

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

The hate campaign is in full effect via the media because Xbox simply can't compete on the battlefield.

Look at how aggressive this corporate clown is:

And, well, you can build a machine using practically the same exact hardware for just a bit more than buying the new, more expensive, console. I know, I know, the PS5 Pro is already expensive, but having one of the best gaming PCs is useful for more than just video games – and it’ll be supported much longer than Sony will support its console, too.
Note how it's "one of the best gaming PCs" that you're building in the opening salvo.

You should also keep in mind that the DDR4 Patriot memory here will be much slower than the GDDR6 unified memory in the PS5 Pro. But again, because it’s not being accessed by the GPU, it shouldn’t impact gaming performance too much.
RAM isn't equivalent.

Is It Worth It?
All together, this system will set you back about $863, which is more expensive than the $699 PS5 Pro. But you really do get more for your money with this gaming PC, even if all you want to do is play games on the thing. Not only do most PS5 games come to PC these days, but you also get access to pretty much any game on the Xbox Series X. A gaming PC inherently has a bigger library of games than any console on the planet.
Some of this is true. You do get access to more games on a PC than any single non-backwards compatible console, if you download the right drivers, shader settings, and wait for patches that may never come. You do not get access to *most* PS5 games, certainly not without waiting for years, and you DO get access to every, not "pretty much any" game on Xbox.

When the PS5 generation ends, as they all do, your PC will still play new games. Plus, because of the modularity of desktop PCs, you can upgrade any component that’s holding you back, without having to buy an entirely new system like what you’d have to do with the PS5. That’s also true if something breaks. If your PS5 Pro breaks and it’s out of warranty, it’s dead. It’s a block of plastic and metal that’ll never do anything useful again. But if part of your PC breaks, you can open it up and repair or replace whatever component is causing you problems.
Look at this incendiary shit. When the PS5 gen ends, your PC will be out of date and need upgrading.

Oh btw you now have no way to control your new PC because this moron forgot to add a mouse and keyboard/controller to the package. Oh right and you can't see shit because you didn't buy a monitor, whereas everyone already has a TV to plug into.

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
Oh btw you now have no way to control your new PC because this moron forgot to add a mouse and keyboard/controller to the package. Oh right and you can't see shit because you didn't buy a monitor, whereas everyone already has a TV to plug into.
Let's be fair and toss a bone because technically you could connect your computer to a TV.
but yeah, no mouse and keyboard yet you get one of the best controllers ever made inside your playstation box.

you CANNOT build a PC thats anywhere near the quality of a ps5, let alone a ps5 pro for the same price without having to rely on used parts and cheap cop outs.
As time goes on I'm more and more sure that these outlets, have a massive bias against playstation and I'm not rally sure why. I used to think it was all conspiracy theory nut shit, but as time goes on these people just prove themselves to be more and more dishonest.

OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
They've also used a GPU with no machine learning. PS5 Pro has PSSR. This is an inferior rig that costs hundreds more, that you have to put together yourself, and it doesn't come with an OS, without which it can't do anything at all. Needs to be Windows to play most PC games.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Components Queen
ghfhgfnj.jpg

24 Jun 2022
At this point I kinda don't care. I'm not here to fight Sony's battles for them. They're the ones who decided to appeal to outlets like IGN, or known Xbox fanboys like Destin and Parris. They're the ones who decided to port all their games to PC. They're the ones who decided to show off a $700 PS5 Pro using old games that already have identical if not superior versions on PC.

This is the kind of company PlayStation decided to cozy up with, and this is the result of that. Simple as. I can only hope they invest in more AA games like Astro Bot and at least some of the speculation around them bringing back legacy IP as AA titles is true. At least then I will know there are games in it for me. Yes if I and a few others I've seen post sound stuff were calling the shots at SIE or had more input, the whole strategy would be looking a lot different and IMHO be for the better.

But that's not the reality we live in, sadly.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Let's be fair and toss a bone because technically you could connect your computer to a TV.
but yeah, no mouse and keyboard yet you get one of the best controllers ever made inside your playstation box.

you CANNOT build a PC thats anywhere near the quality of a ps5, let alone a ps5 pro for the same price without having to rely on used parts and cheap cop outs.
As time goes on I'm more and more sure that these outlets, have a massive bias against playstation and I'm not rally sure why. I used to think it was all conspiracy theory nut shit, but as time goes on these people just prove themselves to be more and more dishonest.

Either you add a Dual Sense controller to the part list or you at least add a good keyboard and mouse. To leave it off is to invalidate your entire exercise as pure propaganda.

They also always try leave off windows and say you can get a cheap windows key. IGN won't actively say to try to get a sketchy key, but by leaving it out of the configuration that is exactly what they're suggesting.

The difference in price is an extra 200 dollars for a machine ALREADY more expensive than the ps5 pro AND that doesn't have the ai upscaling and ray tracing of the ps5 pro...

In fact the article makes no mention of ai upscaling or ray tracing. They went with the rx 6800 because that is 500 dollars vs the 3070 that is 600 dollars.

Total you're looking at 300 dollars more than the quoted price which was already 163 dollars more expensive... so you're looking at 463 dollars more for similar results...

But we're not done... they selected 1 tb drive even while acknowledging the ps5 pro comes with a 2tb drive. So let's add another 45 dollars to the price and now we're talking about 508 dollars more for a more equivalent device...

that's literally the price of a PS5 on top of the PS5 Pro...

1371 vs 700... it's nearly double the price for similar performance...

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
At this point I kinda don't care. I'm not here to fight Sony's battles for them. They're the ones who decided to appeal to outlets like IGN, or known Xbox fanboys like Destin and Parris. They're the ones who decided to port all their games to PC. They're the ones who decided to show off a $700 PS5 Pro using old games that already have identical if not superior versions on PC.

This is the kind of company PlayStation decided to cozy up with, and this is the results of that. Simple as. I can only hope they invest in more AA games like Astro Bot and at least some of the speculation around them bringing back legacy IP as AA titles is true. At least then I will know there are games in it for me. Yes if I and a few others I've seen post sound stuff were calling the shots at SIE or had more input, the whole strategy would be looking a lot different and IMHO be for the better.

But that's not the reality we live in, sadly.

Agree. Playstation should have followed the same route as Nintendo and keep their audience happy. The only shit they get from the pc community is when they can't use their characters or emulate their games because they get sued.

Reactions: toadsage44 and Puff

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
They also always try leave off windows and say you can get a cheap windows key. IGN won't actively say to try to get a sketchy key, but by leaving it out of the configuration that is exactly what they're suggesting.
You dont need a windows key to use windows for the love of god

you dont even need windows, Linux Mint or Nobara works well too thanks to proton

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Dr. E99
OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Thinking that IGN is an Xbox shill site is the real joke here. Does everybody just forget their "God of War Xbox vs PS4 Graphics Comparison" shit post? They are, and always have been, a PlayStation fanboy site. Ever since the days of Greg Miller and co.
Holy shillfuck, batman. It's a shill! Greg Miller is gone. Ryan McAffrey is the editor in chief. The same one who begged Phil for an interview and slurps his cock at every turn.