IGN receives marching orders from Xbox HQ: "Build a PC as powerful as PS5 Pro"

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
Not true. You can easily customize Windows. And lots of people (myself included) currently use or have used Linux for gaming.
Seriously, you can't trade wallpaper without a Windows license, it's perfectly usable, but it has its limitations

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
Ok and?

Everything else you'd want to use it for works.
It means that you will have an incomprehensible product, it may even be functional, but I doubt that someone who spent more than 800 dollars to build a PC would think it cool not to be able to customize the PC and have to live with a watermark "Activate Windows"

OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Don't worry. You'll quickly make up the difference paying Sony $20/month for access to multiplayer and a catalog of old games, and $70+ for new releases.
Let's see...it's $80 a year for online multiplayer (total BS concept, but that's the cost). Add 80 for the disc drive so you can take advantage of physical sales (which PC does not have) and by the time you've gotten to the $1400 and equivalent PC will have cost you you'll be in the next generation.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
It means that you will have an incomprehensible product, it may even be functional, but I doubt that someone who spent more than 800 dollars to build a PC would think it cool not to be able to customize the PC and have to live with a watermark "Activate Windows"

You know that all you have to do to get around being locked out of officially changing your wallpaper is simply download a wallpaper off the internet and set it as your desktop background, right?

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
Let's see...it's $80 a year for online multiplayer (total BS concept, but that's the cost). Add 80 for the disc drive so you can take advantage of physical sales (which PC does not have) and by the time you've gotten to the $1400 and equivalent PC will have cost you you'll be in the next generation.

Let's say you pay for mid-tier Plus: $14.99/month, $180/yr.

Then you buy 10 new releases per year. <1 month on average: $700.

And you buy the disc drive to play those new releases: $80

So you're at close to $1,700 all told for one year of use with your PS5 Pro. In year 2, that drops $880 per year for your next year of Plus and 10 new releases.

Meanwhile, Mr. PCMR spent $1,000-$1,500 once. Pennies on the dollar for games. And is set for a long time, outlasting the PS5 by multiple generations.

Reactions: toadsage44

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

So you're at close to $1,700 all told for one year of use with your PS5 Pro. In year 2, that drops $880 per year for your next year of Plus and 10 new releases.

Meanwhile, Mr. PCMR spent $1,000-$1,500 once. Pennies on the dollar for games. And is set for a long time, outlasting the PS5 by multiple generations.

PC gaming is the superior alternative to me by quite some margin. But new PC games, while cheaper than on console Don't exactly cost pennies on the dollar. Sales on PC used to be a lot more aggressive a decade ago.

Plus in console you can sell your physical games. That's why they love them, even if no money goes to the developer by buying used.

Sony exclusive games being typically single player have a lot of traction on the used market. Typically console players beat them and sell them to fund the next. Same with yearly sports games, which are the bread and butter of console gaming.

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
PC gaming is the superior alternative to me by quite some margin. But new PC games, while cheaper than on console Don't exactly cost pennies on the dollar.

Depends on where you get the keys :cool:

Also note, I didn't say "new games"...I just said games. Which is true. Humble Bundle is like $12/mo for new-ish games. Works out to $1.50/game. Epic gives away solid freebies every week too

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Depends on where you get the keys :cool:

Also note, I didn't say "new games"...I just said games. Which is true. Humble Bundle is like $12/mo for new-ish games. Works out to $1.50/game. Epic gives away solid freebies every week too
Bro leave me out of your duck feeding simulator games for $4.99 on gog

You put out that we buy 10 $70 games a year, those are full AAA titles. Stop it.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

Dude why do you care so much what someone else is spending, I mean pocket watching others really? You don't have a job? Do you see console players go and tell the pc players when the lastest nvidia cards release to not buy them?

Fact of the matter is PC players are insecure chumps who pray for the downfall of consoles so they can get day 1 games from 1st party studios. Why not go and play gems such as "sex with hitler" and "milftoon" on steam instead of pocket watching us?

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
Dude why do you care so much what someone else is spending, I mean pocket watching others really? You don't have a job? Do you see console players go and tell the pc players when the lastest nvidia cards release to not buy them?

Fact of the matter is PC players are insecure chumps who pray for the downfall of consoles so they can get day 1 games from 1st party studios. Why not go and play gems such as "sex with hitler" and "milftoon" on steam instead of pocket watching us?

Just pushing back on the narrative that console gaming in inherently cheaper than PC; it's not.

Reactions: toadsage44
OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Why would you pay for mid-tier plus? Are you adding the cost of a $100/year gaming subscription for PC for no reason at all as well?

Mustards get a $10 discount on games on release, or pennies on the dollar if they pirate, true. They get shafted unless Steam has a sale (PSN has excellent sales as well) and can't take advantage of sales at retail at all.

So you've now paid $1400 for a potato PC that isn't as good as PS5 Pro and is less supported at release by nearly every dev (see: Star Wars Jedi for an example). You've spent $600 on new releases for the year at 10 a year. You've spent $100 on a gaming subscription you didn't want.

You've now spent 2.1k on your PC. PS5 pro with all the weird add-ons is still less, and $10 per game and another 80/year isn't enough to make up the difference until the next gen.

Thanks for playing, back to Xboxera with you

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
tErk5TD.png

Reactions: Bo_Hazem