IGN : The Biggest Disappointments of 2023

Alfz007

20 Dec 2023
Nope

But I tried it and nope, it's not a seamless nor stutterless experience and is not better than an actual handheld that we wanted from Sony

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Always hard to find time for VR, but I'm gonna get back onto it over the holiday break. It would benefit from big games like Lo-Fi, HL Alyx and Asgard's Wrath, though.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
The PSVR2 is cool but I returned mine after trying it, and yes I got the one with Horizon. I tried a few other things like Star Wars, GT, etc.

Again, it's a cool piece of tech, but I can sorta understand it being on the list. It's specifically mentioning the games. Some of you guys gotta stop taking Playstation related stuff so personally. :p
There is no argument for games though

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I agree with this list but I don't know why is it not a Top 10?

The PS portal and DC movies in general (including selecting James Gunn as head) should be included imo
It's about disappointment, I think that since we knew that the portal was some streaming device the expectations were pretty low from the start.... it definitely is a disappointment if you were expecting something akin to the Steam Deck (which is what it should have been).

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Wow, three fucking movies on thr list. Here's my disappointment: that they still cover movies at all.

Alfz007

20 Dec 2023
It's about disappointment, I think that since we knew that the portal was some streaming device the expectations were pretty low from the start.... it definitely is a disappointment if you were expecting something akin to the Steam Deck (which is what it should have been).
agreed

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Wow, three fucking movies on thr list. Here's my disappointment: that they still cover movies at all.

Like we really need anyone to tell us Marvel movies are shit 🤣

D

Deleted member 223

I just can't remember Xbox Series launch line up making the list of biggest disappointments in 2020. Wonder why that is? You would think the worst launch line up for a console in several decades would be something noteworthy but obviously the press was more concerned about creating a soft landing for MS and acting like a blind whore, despite the gaming streets being hot on the topic.

Not to mention becoming an arm of MS marketing dept in the Gamepass push. That was embarrassing to see.

A "balancing scales" list. IGN FUD and negativity regarding PSVR2, as opposed to judging and holding other VR headsets to the same standards is telling.... good old selective outrage and selective omission yellow press.

Disgusting site, reminds me why it has been years since I don't give them a single click. Only reminded of their existence in review threads and forum discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
I just can't remember Xbox Series launch line up making the list of biggest disappointments in 2020. Wonder why that is? You would think the worst launch line up for a console in several decades would be something noteworthy but obviously the press was more concerned about creating a soft landing for MS and acting like a blind whore, despite the gaming streets being hot on the topic.

A "balancing scales" list. IGN FUD and negativity regarding PSVR2, as opposed to judging any other VR headset to the same standards is telling.... good old selective outrage and selective ommission yellow press.

Disgusting site, reminds me why it's been years since I don't give them a single click. Only reminded of their existence in review threads and forum discussions.
I remember Halo being delayed but still printed on all the console boxes...

What did they have at launch?

Yakuza next gen upgrade patch?

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
How the hell is PSVR2 at #2? It's the best built headset on the market, runs multiplatform VR games the best, has 10 exclusives in it's first 10 months. 4 out of the 5 VR GOTY nominees are PSVR2 exclusive, RE4 VR is amazing, RE8 VR is amazing, and many people have said GT7 is the best VR game ever made. IDK what more people want.... What a joke.

It's about the launch lineup, not the hardware.

And I do agree with that, to be honest. Sony didn't put their weight after PSVR2.
We needed a PSVR2 mode on all of Sony's 1st party titles for it to be a success, and an update to all their PSVR1 titles to support the new platform.

Instead, Sony didn't even bother porting their best PSVR1 game, Astro Bot Rescue Mission. We have Capcom doing more for PSVR2 than Sony with RE4 VR mode which is nothing short of moronic.

I really wanted to love the PSVR2, but I hate that Sony is pulling a Vita with it.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

And I do agree with that, to be honest. Sony didn't put their weight after PSVR2.
We needed a PSVR2 mode on all of Sony's 1st party titles for it to be a success, and an update to all their PSVR1 titles to support the new platform.

Instead, Sony didn't even bother porting their best PSVR1 game, Astro Bot Rescue Mission. We have Capcom doing more for PSVR2 than Sony with RE4 VR mode which is nothing short of moronic.

I really wanted to love the PSVR2, but I hate that Sony is pulling a Vita with it.
It sucks because if they actually put their back into it VR2 could take off big time. Bad timing for their 1st party studios to be fucking around and finding out about what a money/manpower pit gaas games are.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
This comment makes no sense, the launch line up was great....and it was also 10 months ago. In that time, it's had 10 exclusives, since when is 10 exclusives in 10 months bad??? By that logic, every console ever made sucks.
This is unrealistic and a terrible idea lmao, who the hell wants to play God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted, Horizon ZD/FW, etc in VR? The only game that it could maybe work with is TLOU, and that's a strong maybe.....but even then not really. Resident Evil games are much more linear than Sony 1st party games, and it feels like you're in a corridor a lot of the time, that's why VR works so well for them.
I agree, Astro needs to be ported, but this comment is asinine. "Capcom is doing more for PSVR2 than Sony"....Capcom released the same amount of PSVR2 exclusives this year as Sony did 😐 And who do you think paid for the development of those VR modes? 🤔 And who spent millions on RND to even bring you the headset? Cmon

Another asinine statement, if you think bleeding edge technology,10 exclusives in 10 months, and over 200 games isn't doing enough then nothing will ever be good enough for you. You either fell for the FUD and did no research on your own, or are actively participating in the spreading of FUD.
It sucks because if they actually put their back into it VR2 could take off big time. Bad timing for their 1st party studios to be fucking around and finding out about what a money/manpower pit gaas games are.
They already are putting their back into it, they bought a VR dedicated studio and are funding a bunch of 3rd party exclusives. Of course they could do more, but VR's sales don't justify that type of an investment yet. The gaas pivot was very stupid but at least GAAS has proven potential, the PSVR1 only sold 6m and PSVR2 will be lucky to sell 10m.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This comment makes no sense, the launch line up was great....and it was also 10 months ago. In that time, it's had 10 exclusives, since when is 10 exclusives in 10 months bad??? By that logic, every console ever made sucks.

This is unrealistic and a terrible idea lmao, who the hell wants to play God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted, Horizon ZD/FW, etc in VR? The only game that it could maybe work with is TLOU, and that's a strong maybe.....but even then not really. Resident Evil games are much more linear than Sony 1st party games, and it feels like you're in a corridor a lot of the time, that's why VR works so well for them.

I agree, Astro needs to be ported, but this comment is asinine. "Capcom is doing more for PSVR2 than Sony"....Capcom released the same amount of PSVR2 exclusives this year as Sony did 😐 And who do you think paid for the development of those VR modes? 🤔 And who spent millions on RND to even bring you the headset? Cmon

Another asinine statement, if you think bleeding edge technology,10 exclusives in 10 months, and over 200 games isn't doing enough then nothing will ever be good enough for you. You either fell for the FUD and did no research on your own, or are actively participating in the spreading of FUD.

They already are putting their back into it, they bought a VR dedicated studio and are funding a bunch of 3rd party exclusives. Of course they could do more, but VR's sales don't justify that type of an investment yet. At least GAAS has proven potential. The PSVR1 only sold 6m and PSVR2 will be lucky to sell 10m.
It's a chicken v egg problem, if they put a vr2 mode on the last of us remake that would've been a killer app...and been a huge argument in favor of a $70 remake

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
It's a chicken v egg problem, if they put a vr2 mode on the last of us remake that would've been a killer app...and been a huge argument in favor of a $70 remake
That's just something that sounds good in conversation, in practice how would it actually work? They'd have to change a lot of the games mechanics, which is why we got Horizon Call of the Mountain and not Horizon Zero Dawn in VR. Just cuz RE translates well into VR, doesn't mean every game will, especially many of Sonys 1st party. A VR game set in the world of TLOU could be cool though.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

Not to mention becoming an arm of MS marketing dept in the Gamepass push. That was embarrassing to see.

A "balancing scales" list. IGN FUD and negativity regarding PSVR2, as opposed to judging and holding other VR headsets to the same standards is telling.... good old selective outrage and selective omission yellow press.

Disgusting site, reminds me why it has been years since I don't give them a single click. Only reminded of their existence in review threads and forum discussions.
Well said, I also don't see anyone complaining about Meta Quest 3's paltry launch line up of only 2 games, Asgards Wrath and Assassin's Creed Nexus....neither of which are as good as GT7 or RE8.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That's just something that sounds good in conversation, in practice how would it actually work? They'd have to change a lot of the games mechanics, which is why we got Horizon Call of the Mountain and not Horizon Zero Dawn in VR. Just cuz RE translates well into VR, doesn't mean every game will, especially many of Sonys 1st party. A VR game set in the world of TLOU could be cool though.
idc imo tlou is great for vr, it's a slow paced (mostly) shooter...the fact that it has a lot of canned melee animations doesn't really detract from the core of the game